• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I am trying to find a way to get more cab space out of mu deuce.

Burgerboy13

Is it a coghin style sleeper? If it was just my wife and I would agree that a sleeper would be a btter choice. But I am concerned with having seating room for our five year old. And it would be nice to use it has a place to rest while on the road as well. In a since, I would like to turn it into a family vehicle much like our extended cab pick up trucks.
You could try to use something like this. A fold down bench seat. Just rip out the old bunk and put this thing in there. (Sorry for the goofy picture I had to use a screen shot to get the full size)

Attachments

Jakob

Is it a coghin style sleeper? If it was just my wife and I would agree that a sleeper would be a btter choice. But I am concerned with having seating room for our five year old. And it would be nice to use it has a place to rest while on the road as well. In a since, I would like to turn it into a family vehicle much like our extended cab pick up trucks.
I'm not sure, but here's the LINK

Lonesome715

That is kind of what I had in mind. What kind of truck is that?

That is a much nicer sleeper than I was thinking. If it is in good shape all over that is a very good deal. I wonder how my cab would fit it.

Heavysteven

It's a international CXT.....

Going to say this. Your truck looks good stock2cents Have you thought about geting a CUCV?

Could you piggy back another deuce cab like I saw on another members truck?

Lonesome715

I do hope to get a CUCV at some point. I also agree that a stock deuce looks great. If I modify this one and if we can get on track money wise I think I would liek ot have another one later on that is all stock. From fresh green paint down to the stock NDT's. But this truck will serve many purposes. I want that 12 foot bed space. In all honesty, the truck I want to biuld does not even have to be a deuce. I am very oepn to the idea of getting a deuce chassis with an engine and bed but no cab. Then I can get the crew cab from one of the big OEM's. I like the F650 crew cabs from the early 70's.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only way to make the driver spot more comfy for other than short or skinny people is to extend the cab back and move the seat back. Being made for trim and fit soldiers, the cab is just too short for most older wider people to put a comfy seat in. I have to use the old style box seat in the M818 and moved the air ride seat to the passenger side (now they complain about knees on the dash..) On the 5T the ride is very rough on the old back, wish there were a way to soften it up. The idea of extending the cab via a sleeper is a good one, if the sleeper can be bolted very sturdy to the bed, or perhaps attached with quick release sort of aircraft pins. That way, you do not have to butcher the bed? But, how will you do the opening from the truck cab to the sleeper? Some cutting probably, as the window is too small for most people to slide through.

Lonesome715

I was lokking at that the other day. The peice of metal the window is bolted to bolts in and can be removed easily. So I can take that whole section out with having to cut anything. As far as the seats, I have a frined who has two brand new and never instaled air ride seats for a smaller truck. They are not as large as the ones you see in semis. The cool thing is the ay still wrapped in plastic and do not have seat covers yet. I know it will be a bit costly, but I think it would be worth it in the end. I would like to wrap them in OD colered vinyl and have the AM General logo stamped in them. Just like the KW's. Petes, and other big trucks do.

nhdiesel

As someone previously mentioned, the bed in the sleepers can be removed, leaving a large empty space all the way to the floor. Then install a fold-down bed/seat, or even just seats. For that matter, those sleepers have doors on at least one side, sometimes two. You could put ONE seat in the sleeper, away from the door; and be able to access dry storage space from inside AND outside the truck through the side door. In fact, they usually have 2 doors, a small lower one and a large upper one. Build a "dirty" storage on the bottom for tools, chains, whatever...and "clean" storage above for stuff for trips- camping gear, groceries, whatever.

Matching styles- I think you might be surprised just how well one of the small sleepers will match the lines of a Deuce. Look at the back of the Deuce cab- its curved. Look at the rear of the roof (hard OR soft top): its curved. Put the sleeper on, paint to match, and I think it will look right at home.

Jim

Lonesome715

I have driven trucks with walk in sleepers. But I have never dealt with a coffin sleeper. If they have all those access points it just might work.

Lonesome715

**** that looks good. I would like to know more about the sleeper used. I wonder if I could get a "walk in" style of sleeper that size. Or, I also wonder what all would be involved in modifying one.

nhdiesel

Thats about what I was picturing. Yes, you can get walk-throughs that size. They all have the bed installed about a foot and a half off the floor, but they can be removed. You can also adjust the floor height if the sleeper is too tall. Usually just drill out all the rivets, adjust the floor, and drill and install new rivets.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks