• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I bought a 1998 Plan B M998 yesterday

Chirider

Wondering if you have given any thought as covering the bed with a tonneau or a more secure cover. I'm in the process of looking.ive been trolling forums and I don't see much info or leads. I love the Predator Motorsports one but it's around $2,000!😕

Last edited:

kcobean

Wow she cleans real nice. That's a beautiful color. Does the back window lock?
It latches shut, but I wouldn't say it "locks" exactly.

Wondering if you have given any thought as covering the bed with a tonneau or a more secure cover. I'm in the process of looking.ive been trolling forums and I don't see much info or leads. I love the Predator Motorsports one but it's around $2,000!
I will get to thinking about that after awhile. First big project on this is going to be building a nice center console so I have put my wallet/phone, etc when I'm in the car.

infidel got me

I also agree with the engine bay painted black,, but I don't think that plan b is trying to hide anything. I think they are simply trying for eye appeal.

In the view of the customer- a cruddy dis colored intake manifold would look ten times better painted black.. Not saying I like it or it's right, but probably

plan b's way of going for a cleaner look. Overall the truck looks sharp and I hope you get a lot of service out of it..

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Nice truck. I can see why they leave the wipers off for the pics at least. Looks better without them. Sealing well is a plus for a humvee they are generally drafty.

kcobean

Been following this thread since kcobean started it since I was curious about the Plan B trucks though I have zero intention of buying one but, I agree with Action.

Doing that is shoddy and speaks of poor workmanship and/or laziness. I couldn't imagine doing my job to quality like that. That combined with the fact they couldn't go to the time or trouble to at least stick decent batteries like Odysseys in there, let alone clean out the battery compartment, or even make sure it has something as basic as wiper arms. It just smacks of either horrible QC or desire to make a fast buck off of people who may not be mechanically inclined (not saying kcobean falls into this category) and are looking for a turnkey solution. Clearly not a turnkey truck when it can't even be driven off the transporter...

It's disappointing to see a company do stuff like that when there aren't a ton of options available but, it was good to see them step up to the plate and address the issues even if they shouldn't have been there in the first place. Maybe it was a one off truck that slipped through the cracks but, I doubt that.

I really want to know what other stuff was left untouched. If I were you kcobean, I'd be looking at belts, fluids, and hoses thoroughly.

At the end of the day though, as TNriverjet said, if the buyer is happy that's all that really matters and kcobean does seem to be! I just know if I were looking for a turnkey truck, I'd probably look elsewhere.
I was a UH-1 mechanic for 6 years in the Army. I have the mechanical ability and most of the tools, but what I don't have right now is space to have a project truck torn apart in my driveway for long periods of time. I'm in Surburbia for another 6-12 months before we move out to the country, unfortunately. I am definitely spending lots of time going over all of the maintenance items to see where everything stands. Other than the things that have been mentioned in this thread, I'm not at all unpleased with what I see.

kcobean

I also agree with the engine bay painted black,, but I don't think that plan b is trying to hide anything. I think they are simply trying for eye appeal.

In the view of the customer- a cruddy dis colored intake manifold would look ten times better painted black.. Not saying I like it or it's right, but probably

plan b's way of going for a cleaner look. Overall the truck looks sharp and I hope you get a lot of service out of it..
I agree with your sentiment. Paint doesn't hide mechanical defects, but it definitely does "sell" better than the average 28 year old engine bay. If something in there is broken, it'll show itself regardless.

boydmbd

I bought a 1989 Plan B M998 yesterday

I've heard really mixed reviews on the Plan B trucks, but we'll see. It doesn't require EUC/HHA and has a DMV issued title in Utah, so I'm hopeful that I won't have too many issues.

I'll post pics when she gets here in ~10 days. In the meantime, here are a couple of pics from the auction listing:

View attachment 686235

View attachment 686236
Kcobean: It's been
I bought a 1989 Plan B M998 yesterday

I've heard really mixed reviews on the Plan B trucks, but we'll see. It doesn't require EUC/HHA and has a DMV issued title in Utah, so I'm hopeful that I won't have too many issues.

I'll post pics when she gets here in ~10 days. In the meantime, here are a couple of pics from the auction listing:

View attachment 686235

View attachment 686236
Hi kcobean: I'm hoping you're still active on this site... It's been close to 3 years since you posted this. How did the M998 from Plan B Supply work out? Any subsequent and/or unresolved issues with your vehicle and/or Plan B?

I'm doing my own online search to purchase a HMMWV and I read a similar negative review about Plan B. Still, other online reviews appear to be mostly positive. Please let me know what yours has been. Thanks!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy Resurrection, Batman.

OP joined 2017 and Last seen December 22, 2018.

I would send a PM and hope he had it linked to his E-mail and hope he still uses that E-mail.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks