• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I bought a garbage truck, hahaha

Unforgiven

Yes, I bought an actual garbage truck.

I was looking for a Ross steering box a few months ago for a Gringletaube steering project. I never found the Ross box. But here is what I did find.

garbagetruck.JPG

It's a 1994 CCC garbage truck - Crane Carrier Corporation out of Oklahoma.

The story that I was told by one of the salvage yard guys was this. It was being used by cardboard thieves. They were caught & the truck was impounded 2 years ago. It was slated for the crusher last week but they couldn't move it because the air brakes were locked & the truck is stuffed full of garbage. Apparently it ran good when the police impounded it. The odometer reads only 12,000 miles. So perhaps it received a recent engine transplant. The tires look much older than 12,000. I never even knew that stealing cardboard was apparently a big criminal deal. They take it to the recycling centers.

cardboardthieves.JPGmiles.JPG

When I looked at the truck this is the first thing I saw

allison.JPGallisonretardermaybe.JPG

If you don't recognize it, that's an Allison 6 speed 3560P tranny. I think it also has an integrated hydraulic retarder to assist braking power & save brake pads. But I'm not 100 sure about that. They have good granny gearing and a good overdrive ratio.

I looked up CCC garbage trucks for that year. Most of them had 8.3 Cummins in them. Some had Mitsubishi. I'm not an expert on diesel motors, but I'm pretty sure this one is the Cummins 8.3. I'll post pics of the engine in a few minutes after I upload the pics.

This engine/tranny/radiator is a monster. Not so much any individual component, but when taken together it's a beast. The engine actually looks smaller than the Multifuel. Of course, the Allison is a bit bigger than the Spicer.

So, instead of spending three weeks straight trying to unbolt giant bolts in the blistering heat, 45 miles from home, I asked the boss if his guys could just cut the frame & hoist everything into my truck

torchframe.JPGsalvage.JPG

My Deuce's virgin load. And this will probably be its heaviest load because I'm crew cabbing it, putting the upright radiators behind the crew cab, and the remaining space will be the bed. I'm guessing the bed will be half as big as it is now. Therefore, this will definitely be my largest load. I can't complain. The truck hauled it without problems. But the Spicer really annoys me. Let me tell you, with the garbage truck frame still attached that front half of the garbage truck is HEAVY! The forklift guy was barely able to lift it with a huge forklift that normally tosses cars back and forth all day.

virginload.JPG

The only dings that happened was the guy dropped the cab on the radiator filter. It sheared the filter off, but I think the engine is ok. He nipped a couple of the hydraulic hoses with the forklift, burned one set of wires accidentally with the torch, and broke off something on the back of the Allison. :mad:

I don't think it's a big deal. But I have no idea what the part is called, where I will find it, or how much it costs. It's at the very back where the giant hydraulic lines come out & go to ??? the cooler?

brokeallison.JPGbrokeallisioncloseup.JPG

The salvage yard let me have EVERYTHING for $1000 + tax. I spent 1 day prepping it, pulling out computer/wiring etc. The parts pullers, 2 of them, spent 2 days removing the cab, cutting the frame, cutting off the fenders & front axle. So I gave them a $300 tip & 2 cases of beer :beer:

I don't think the salvage salesman understood how expensive Allison 3560's & Cummins 8.3's are. Not only that. But it has an integrated garbage truck PTO for a dedicated hydraulic pump on the crankcase!! Looks like I'll be switching over to a hydraulic winch.

While you are reading this I'll upload the remaining few pics. Maybe some of you diesel experts can verify if the engine is a Cummins or not.

waayfast

Drat!! Too bad you had to cut it up to haul it---the neighbors would have been real proud of ya with THAT parked in your driveway LOL!!Sounds like some good fixin's there---not a bad price either!

Unforgiven

I took surface streets & drove really slow. Why is it every ##$# jerk in the world has to get 3 inches from my back bumper on an upgrade stop light while I'm hauling maybe 6-7 thousand pounds in the bed? Don't they understand I WILL ROLL BACKWARDS, even just a little?

home.JPG

Here's the engine. I snapped the photos at weird angles, sorry. Can anyone verify if this is a Cummins or a Mitsubishi?

cumminsmaybe.JPGcumminsmaybe2.JPG

This thing has a HUGE steering gear and a HUGE drag link. It somehow runs off the hydraulic PTO. But the PTO is not always on. I guess it's 1/2 hydraulic PTO and 1/2 power steering? I actually think it might be adapted to the Deuce. The long drag link would certainly minimize bump-steer, that's for sure. I'll have to measure stuff first. But it would be nice because I have it & it's already plumbed into the engine's PTO pump.

giantsteering.JPG

Below is the PTO/steering pump. It's bolted directly to the front of the crankshaft. That doesn't bother me because with the radiator from heck mounted behind the cab I won't need the front radiator at all.

Anyway, I doubt if I will get around to swapping it into the truck anytime soon. But I'm glad I bought it because they were trying to find a way to get it to the crusher. Now, how the HECK am I going to get this out of the truck? I think I'll be numbering & unbolting much of it from the back of the truck.

Attachments

Unforgiven

I don't think you understood how expensive used garbage trucks are. :) Wayne
He offered me the entire truck. But, as you can see, I live in the suburbs. He said I could have anything off the truck for a grand. They wanted me to take it with the front axle. I politely declined and asked for it to be "streamlined" for me. Technically, it has tons of hydraulics, air stuff, giant rams, scrap steel ...

But, all I really wanted was the engine and the Allison. I've priced the 3560's on UsedTruckParts.net. They run 2 grand used. That's just for the tranny.

Would you happen to know the name of the part on the back the guy broke?

Unforgiven

wanna sell the engine? make your $$$ back????

You want my Multifuel? Michigan's quite a freight quote from Vegas for that. The multifuel runs good. But I absolutely HATE the Spicer. But sure, if you want to buy the multifuel I suppose I don't really need it.

Since the Cummins is already bolted up to the tranny and has the PTO hydraulic & power steering, I'm going to drop all of it into the truck at the same time. But I won't do that until I fully understand the Allison wiring. That might be next year. After that my multifuel, spicer, pto & winch are up for sale. I even bought a rear PTO output that I never installed. Now that I have a MONSTER hydraulic pump from a garbage truck I'll simply convert over to a hydraulic winch.

Of course I'll post pics as I dismantle & rebuild the truck. But that's months away.

Unforgiven

i ment the 8.3.
Yeah, I hear you on that one. Where I live salvage diesel parts are very hard to find. We don't have a diesel salvage yard in Las Vegas. The closest ones are in Southern California and they are $$$. The garbage truck was a fluke because of the police impound.

Actually, this is the exact engine/tranny that I was researching for a future swap. Karma was good to me this time. And at 12,000 miles on the engine I won't have to worry about breaking it down to rebuild it. I might separate the tranny for convenience of removing it from the truck & to replace the rear main seal of the engine & front tranny seal. It might be time for a torque converter as well. I think the tranny has much more than 12,000 miles on it.

I'm still angry the forklift guy broke the back lines off the Allison. I specifically told him to be careful of those exact lines! Plus all the fluid leaked out when he did that. I was hoping to keep the fluid in it just incase it takes a year or two for my install. That way the internals don't dry out or start rusting.

Anyway, thanks for verifying it's the Cummins

Unforgiven

I wish you or I were closer, I want that Heil garbage body. I'd modify it and put int on my Deuce.
When I first bought the truck my wife said it was garbage. After I swap in this engine, it looks like she'll be right. :mrgreen:

That dump body is HUGE in person. The yard guys said they tried lifting it with multiple fork lifts but it wouldn't budge. Plus it's full of stolen cardboard. Apparently a full load of crushed cardboard is really heavy. They're afraid to chop it with a torch because of the hydraulic fluid & cardboard. Oh well ... that's their problem now. I've left them with an even bigger problem, half a garbage truck. Good luck moving it now. The back half now sits with the tailgate in the ground & the air brakes locked.

Yeah, I'm not even sure if there is another Deuce owner in all of Las Vegas. It would have been nice to bring a fellow owner along to the wrecking yard for advice.

Unforgiven

I think you'll be surprised at how many deuces are in the LV area
:-D

I'm always up for an adventure...
Greetings. I'll bookmark this thread & show you the truck once the engine gets swapped. Work is going to keep me busy most of the summer. And now I'm anxious to drop the new drivetrain in. I either have time or money, but never both!

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Where are you located in town?, I just moved up from Las Cruces NM. I need to find a Deuce friendly neighborhood!

Unforgiven

Where are you located in town?, I just moved up from Las Cruces NM. I need to find a Deuce friendly neighborhood!
I'm in Henderson near the old Community College campus. If you are in one of the newer housing developments they probably won't have enough space. As you can see from my pics, I barely have enough space on the side of my house. And that includes the chainsaw job I did on the neighbor's tree.

Dueceownerjoe

When I first bought the truck my wife said it was garbage. After I swap in this engine, it looks like she'll be right. :mrgreen:

That dump body is HUGE in person. The yard guys said they tried lifting it with multiple fork lifts but it wouldn't budge. Plus it's full of stolen cardboard. Apparently a full load of crushed cardboard is really heavy. They're afraid to chop it with a torch because of the hydraulic fluid & cardboard. Oh well ... that's their problem now. I've left them with an even bigger problem, half a garbage truck. Good luck moving it now. The back half now sits with the tailgate in the ground & the air brakes locked.

Yeah, I'm not even sure if there is another Deuce owner in all of Las Vegas. It would have been nice to bring a fellow owner along to the wrecking yard for advice.
Oh I know. I spent a good many years filling those bodies full of trash and repairing them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks