• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I broke the front axle

Another Ahab

We tighten our buses to 250Ibs then back off 20 degrees.
Now THAT makes sense.

What I mean is I was wondering how anybody could, realistically, measure that gap (of what was it, 0.00003" or something)!?

The method you're describing, rustystud, is something a person can actually DO.

Last edited:

Pugsley

I did and it is in one spot. but it's not leaking and I still get 60 PSI when going down the highway so it must not be restricted enough to matter.

bajajoaquin

Did you pull the passenger side axle? I snapped an axle on my old Land Rover, and was going to just replace the side that was bad. However, I got talked into looking at the other side, and you could see a noticeable change in color where there was stress on it. I know that Land Rovers and Rockwells are different axles, but it sure would suck to break the other side next.

rustystud

Did you pull the passenger side axle? I snapped an axle on my old Land Rover, and was going to just replace the side that was bad. However, I got talked into looking at the other side, and you could see a noticeable change in color where there was stress on it. I know that Land Rovers and Rockwells are different axles, but it sure would suck to break the other side next.
You make a good point Joaquin . Whenever one of our axles break we take the whole assembly apart and inspect everything, especially for small fragments that can cause large problems down the road.

Pugsley

Yeah the other side looked ok. At first I did not know what side had broke so I started on the drivers side and it was in one piece and looked good and straight with no twisting on the splines.

Stykz

Hey, that all seems familiar! Except my axle didn't do me a favor of impeding my mobility before frying the front bearings and dropping the wheel and hub :p

When in doubt its best to tear down and thoroughly inspect. Without a doubt, it still doesn't hurt anything to inspect.

rustystud

Hey, that all seems familiar! Except my axle didn't do me a favor of impeding my mobility before frying the front bearings and dropping the wheel and hub :p

When in doubt its best to tear down and thoroughly inspect. Without a doubt, it still doesn't hurt anything to inspect.
That's for sure !

rustystud

I'm thinking that must have been pretty thrilling to be at the wheel when THAT happened. Yikes.
That reminds me when my best friend and I where traveling down I-5 from Seattle to Phoenix to go to trade school. He was driving an old ex-cop car (Chrysler) and was out in front. We where in the fast lane (far left) when all of a sudden his car turned right towards the shoulder crossing all lanes still going 60 miles an hour. He slammed on the brakes and skidded in the gravel of the shoulder. When I pulled up behind him he was already out of the car talking and swearing in a hysterical manner ! It took a few minutes for him to calm down and tell me the right front wheel had stopped turning . After trying to repair it for a few hours we gave up and had a passerby call a tow truck for us. Later we found the bearings had seized to the spindle and bearing cups totally welding themselves. To this day he has never forgotten to check his front wheel bearings on a trip !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks