• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I can provide power steering CHEAP & RELIABLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put your idea out on the forum already. If it is the Garrison setup, pay them to design it and you have exclulsive rights to sell.
I can say with 100% certainty that if the OP thinks he can sell a kit for around $600, it's not a Garrison. Just the Garrison drag link cost more than $600. Then you have to add a pump and a tie rod cylinder.

Kohburn

interested - the parts i have priced out to do mine will run me about 900 so 600 is an improvement if i like the design.

broadsword71

Your correct it just vaporware until its released. I agree. Either way I'm going to release the idea...and people can do what they want with it. I actually have 3 total p/s ideas that I have tested in the past with success. This current is proving thus far the most practical. Final results pending.
Probably sign me up for one if this is as good as it sounds.

I would also be interested in a simple bracket kit and parts list option like the TM America alternator kit.

I hope you're mounting the pump elsewhere on the motor and not above the generator where I mounted my 12V alternator!

PLEASE next time you do something like this don't make such a TEASE thread the suspense is killing me. Wait till you're done to post!!!
DUELY NOTED!!! I would have never guessed I would have received so much interest. To be honest I would not be working so hard on the kit if I didn't though. So it's bitter sweet.

Last edited:

JasonS

I can say with 100% certainty that if the OP thinks he can sell a kit for around $600, it's not a Garrison. Just the Garrison drag link cost more than $600. Then you have to add a pump and a tie rod cylinder.
I was quoted $1200. But I may have misunderstood; the salesman was very hard to understand. The cost and difficulty of working with Garrison led me to the HF54.

With two systems already outlined in GREAT detail on SS (HF54 and the Saginaw), I really can't understand why there is still discussion searching for some holy grail of cheap power steering. You can do the HF54 in a weekend and for about a grand. It is virtually a bolt on if you use the CAD drawing of the frame stiffener. I just can't see an easeir and cheaper solution (though I haven't tried the Saginaw).

Heath_h49008

It's a straightforward problem. How to apply force to the front tie rod ends/center link/pitman arm/or steering gear to reduce the effort required by the driver.

Easy places for force to be applied: steering wheel, steering shaft, gear box, pitman arm, or center link.

Steering wheel: Gym membership/bigger wheel
Steering shaft: Torque Generator
Steering box: HF54/Saginaw
Pitman arm: length, assist directly on the arm to the frame
Center link: assist or full replacement rams of pneumatic or hydraulic nature.

Power source: air, muscle or hydraulic.

Of the powered methods, only lengthening the pitman arm stud and placing the assist ram there instead of on the center link has not been brought to market... for various reasons.

(I suppose an electrical method is possible, but horribly inefficient.)

The only questions are where and how the force is generated/applied, cost, ease of installation, and what happens if it breaks. There are lots of ways to skin this cat, but considering any power steering pump addition will be at least a $50 Chevy pump+brackets+belts+hoses, a control valve, and a ram, we can see where costs vs power/efficiency will be. Even taking out the ram/torque generator and valve, the cost is in the $300-$400 range.

The cheapest might actually be a torque generator like they used to use in sand buggies... but here is how it was described:
I was going to use this setup on my Unimog I even had all the parts. Most people that have ran this setup take them back off. Thats why the guy I bought mine from sold it to me for $150 for everything. For slow offroad use only it might be allright, on road can be scary almost no feel to whats going on. On road wet, snowy, or icy spots the car is deadly. It's best just to save up the bucks for a REAL power steering setup.
Steve
... thanks, but no thanks.

I would love to hear a new idea. But we have gone from "I have used this for years" to " As I said I have 3 different ideas ..." and no pictures, or data of any kind after 13 pages.

broadsword71

It's a straightforward problem. How to apply force to the front tie rod ends/center link/pitman arm/or steering gear to reduce the effort required by the driver.

Easy places for force to be applied: steering wheel, steering shaft, gear box, pitman arm, or center link.

Of the powered methods, only lengthening the pitman arm stud and placing the assist ram there instead of on the center link has not been brought to market... for various reasons.

The only questions are where and how the force is generated/applied, cost, ease of installation, and what happens if it breaks. There are lots of ways to skin this cat, but considering any power steering pump addition will be at least a $50 Chevy pump+brackets+belts+hoses, a control valve, and a ram, we can see where costs vs power/efficiency will be. Even taking out the ram/torque generator and valve, the cost is in the $300-$400 range.

The cheapest might actually be a torque generator like they used to use in sand buggies... but here is how it was described:

I would love to hear a new idea. But we have gone from "I have used this for years" to " As I said I have 3 different ideas ..." and no pictures, or data of any kind after 13 pages.
Or maybe I'm just waiting to here back from my supplier and want to supply it as a kit. I'm pretty sure this is still a free country for the most part that I fought for. I don't really care if it's 13 or 300 pages. My statements have remained consistent throughout that this thread was created to find out interest. And the fact is it hasent even been 48 hours since I started this thread. So take a chill pill or simply unsubscribe to the thread.

broadsword71

Sure... which one of the 3 ideas will the kit be again?

:nothingfunny:
The most cost effective, there all safe for highway use.

ODdave

I to am curious to at least have some sort of idea of how its costructed. What happens if you line up a bunch of parts and invest time and money into it and it turns out to have a flaw that somone on here may have noticed. Things get overlooked.

Or what if people just flat out dont like the idea of how you went about it. Sometimes just because something works, Dosnt nessisarily mean others will like it or want to buy it. It could be as simple as they just flat out dont like the way it looks.

2cents

rickf

This is a riot, All of you guys are screaming don't do it because of liability but in the very next sentence every one of you wants to know what parts, who supplies them and how is it done. In other words every one of you wants to build your own and not pay someone else. I do not even have a deuce and I am interested in what he is building but at least I can wait until it is perfected to see it. Give the man a chance, some of us have day jobs.:roll: And enough about lawsuits!!! I think he gets the idea.

Rick

KsM715

This is a riot, All of you guys are screaming don't do it because of liability but in the very next sentence every one of you wants to know what parts, who supplies them and how is it done. In other words every one of you wants to build your own and not pay someone else. I do not even have a deuce and I am interested in what he is building but at least I can wait until it is perfected to see it. Give the man a chance, some of us have day jobs.:roll: And enough about lawsuits!!! I think he gets the idea.

Rick

Not everyone. I haven't asked for a breakdown of parts. I just asked him if he thinks the risk v. reward is worth it.

HASSON1911

Im interested in a kit. and after reading 14 pages of liability I think you know what you MAY open yourself up too, but if the people you are selling to and the people I've heard of on here are the same. I think you should be pretty safe I haven't meet or heard of one "sue happy" guy on here yet. I say do it. Its your baby and your decision!:-D

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with HASSON1991, as long as all the pre manufactured parts are U.L. listed and the parameters for each part falls within the design specs of a power steering unit, there is no liability per say. I would contact a lawyer and reup on your liability insurance. Personally I am insurance poor and I do know a little about the subject of liability.:mrgreen:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Why DON't we have another 20 pages with about 200 more of :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Just build the darn kit, if people want great, if not al-well, there is NO point of everybody beating this thing to death for the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th time

Last edited:

KsM715

Im interested in a kit. and after reading 14 pages of liability I think you know what you MAY open yourself up too, but if the people you are selling to and the people I've heard of on here are the same. I think you should be pretty safe I haven't meet or heard of one "sue happy" guy on here yet. I say do it. Its your baby and your decision!:-D

I know,I know,:deadhorse:

But the SS crew are not the ones you have to worry about suing. Its the insurance lawyers that are the ones that initiate the lawsuits. Its not the owner of the deuce that has a wreck and sues, its the insurance company of the vehicle that gets hit BY the deuce with the modified steering that starts the lawsuit.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know,I know,:deadhorse:

But the SS crew are not the ones you have to worry about suing. Its the insurance lawyers that are the ones that initiate the lawsuits. Its not the owner of the deuce that has a wreck and sues, its the insurance company of the vehicle that gets hit BY the deuce with the modified steering that starts the lawsuit.
Which in turn lobbies "the powers that be" to ban the unsafe former military trucks

KsM715

Which in turn lobbies "the powers that be" to ban the unsafe former military trucks

I'm not so much concerned with this. There have been plenty of accidents involving MV's and not much press on banning them. I am concerned with the OP trying to get around the liabilities and others telling him "it's no big deal, build it and sell it cheap so I can buy one". The only way to cover himself liability wise is to get the liability insurance, and thats going to raise the cost and negate this whole deal.

If broadsword thinks the risk vs. reward is worth it to do without the coverage then go right ahead and do it. Just dont come back here with your sob story about how you think you got railroaded and are in the poor house if something does happen and you get sued. Thats my point. Theres been alot of that going on lately where somebody thinks they got screwed on some deal and when the whole story comes about it usually turns out to be their own fault for not doing enough homework before going through with the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.