• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I cant get insurance!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhdiesel

They'll get all the details when I actually go down there to get the policy. I just called today to get a quote so I can get an idea how much it would cost. Once they have all the proper info, if they write me a policy they shouldn't, then its their fault. But up here everyone and their brother has trucks this size...its nothing unusual. I'm in logging and farming country. The agents are used to dealing with larger trucks.

Jim

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have Alabama farm plates on the 816 wrecker. Progressive wrote me a decent policy, full coverage for around $600.00 a year. Now I get to see if they will cover the M915.
Historic insurance has very limited coverage...if they find out you are not adhering to their guildelines they can cancel or refuse to pay a claim.

TexAndy

Once they have all the proper info, if they write me a policy they shouldn't, then its their fault.

Jim
Except legally, I don't think it is. If they don't cover trucks with a GVW over 10k pounds, but they sell you insurance on your truck anyways, and you get in a wreck, I think they would actually have grounds to not pay...

Ask them this question point blank and get everything in writing.

I don't know any of this for a fact, but this is how it was explained to me by a retired insurance guy.

stumps

Your only hope with your insurance coverage is written in your policy. It is usually pretty plainly written, and if it says that your vehicle must be under 10,000 lbs actual weight, and no more than 2 axles, then your deuce isn't covered!

OBTW, Allstate, in Maryland, won't insure anything over 10,000 lbs actual weight, and more than 4 wheels. Yet, they are covering an F600 for me on a historic policy. It fits the weight requirement, except the 4 wheels thing. The agent told me that they really mean axles.

-Chuck

nhdiesel

And how are the many others on here with Progressive getting insurance? I read through a couple other insurance threads which show many Deuce owners with Progressive.

Progressive is a crappy company anyway, and has a history of ducking out of claims. I had an experience myself with a motorcycle that was stolen and vandalized. I had a loan on it, it was a 1 year old Honda XR600 that I had bought new. It was stolen, vandalized, and recovered. The engine was junk because after they couldn't get the bike started, they threw sand in the intake and left the bike pushed off the side of the road in the woods. Cops found it, I got it back, and didn't know about the sand. I found out after about 2 minutes of running it. Dealer gave the ins. company an $1800 estimate to completely rebuild the engine. Since the bike had a few very minor scratches (even the dealer said it was in excellent shape for a dirt bike), Progressive would only pay me 1/2 of damages, minus deductable. I got a check for $400 when all was done, and my engine came back in cardboard boxes because there wasn't enough to repair it.

Anyway...I don't hold much stock in insurance, its always the ones who need it the least that get their money. When my friend was hit by a drunk driver, both drivers had insurance. My friend also had health insurance. After getting airlifted and spending several weeks in a Boston hospital, he had WAY over $100k in medical bills. The other guy only had $25k in medical coverage, which my friend had to sue the ins. company to get. Of course his lawyer got 1/3, so he ended up with around $16k. His insurance coverage was for "uninsured motorist" instead of "uninsured or UNDERINSURED" motorist, so his woulnd't cover. His health ins. wouldn't touch it because it was an auto accident. Three years later and he's barely made a dent in the bills, isn't allowed near a doctor unless he has cash in hand, and doesn't have money for the therapy and other long-term treatment he needs. Lets hear it for insurance.

My point...regardless what you *think* you may have, when it comes time to need it, many people find their ins. company bails out on them anyway. So I'm not too worried about the details, as long as my company tells me I have insurance, and I have paperwork to show for it, its enough for me.

Jim

cranematt

I use progressive for my truck. Unlimited mileage can use it however I want. No restrictions. Cost me a little over $300 a year. Its a commercial policy and they have pics of my truck.

rat4spd

It doesn't matter what company you talk to. YOU need to tell them it's a former military vehicle, 3 axles, with a 25K# GVWR.

On a side note, as mentioned, State Farm has no problems with it, most places, although it will be a commercial policy. Mine is a commercial with no restrictions for about $360/yr.

Carl_in_NH

Agree with many comments here; if you're going to be paying for it, might as well be paying for something that at least has a chance of paying off if needed. If the company doesn't know it's over 10K pounds and something happens, they won't pay.

When I was looking for insurance, I went over the empty and loaded weights and sent photos of the truck to the agent. He, in turn, sent them to the underwriter, who provided the OK to issue coverage. There's a paper trail with names that I've got - so if they ever tried to argue they didn't know what they were insuring, they would be in for a fight.

If you've got any personal property - anything, including but not limited to a house, car, savings account, dog, or even some left over pizza - and you're in an accident without insurance some lawyer will take it from you and you'll spend the remainder of your life making payments to someone else. It's just not worth going around without insurance (or insurance you know they will wiggle out of paying because they didn't have all the data on the vehicle) - because something might happen. At least you've got a fighting chance for a future with insurance - and no chance at all without it.

That said, it's no fun to have to spend money on something that - if you do your job correctly - you'll never "use".

My SF policy for the deuce came out to less than $480 a year with high levels of coverage - liability only. I've also got a good driving record. Well, for the last decade, anyway ;-) This policy is commercial - had to be so because of the weight .

I wouldn't have anything to do with Progressive - as I don't like their politics. I left Geico because they simply wouldn't cover the deuce no matter what. Then I found out how much those folks were overcharging me. Moved two cars over to SF, and added the deuce, and I'm paying less than I was for the two cars alone at Geico - with even more coverage at SF. Go figure.

nhdiesel

Well funny thing. My wife came home and I was talking to her about this thread, and my ins. quote, and mentioned Progressive. She asked why wasn't I going to put it on with our Durango...I said I was. Well what I didn't know (wifey usually handles these things) is that our AUTO policy is through Concord Group, not Progressive! I had assumed we had the same ins. for everything. Nope, only my bike is through Progressive, because they were cheaper, and they were the only company who were able to get the policy processed in time to pick my bike up when it was new (everyone else needed like 2 weeks).

And some are reading what I said wrong. I'm not planning to deceive anyone. WHEN ITS TIME to actually get the policy, they will get all the info. If at that time they either won't insure the truck, or give me a crazy high quote (like the $2000/yr. State Farm quoted me for my new snowmobile several years ago), then I'll attempt to get a policy elsewhere. ONLY if I can't get a reasonable price, or am refused by everyone, will I take any chances. But thats a LAST resort.

Jim

Carl_in_NH

Understood, Jim. Only trouble is if you get turned down at the last minute or get a silly price, then you'll be in mad scramble mode to get coverage so you can pick up the truck.

Might be better to hash it out now and know it's a done deal. I got my temp plate and then went looking for insurance - thinking I'd just add the policy for the truck to my current coverage - or perhaps adding a commerical policy to cover it due to weight and it would only take minutes. Took me three days to get it squared away - but I'm better off for it.

Don't know why SF wanted to charge you $2K for a sled. Was it high performance, with some medical or other liability that was making them worry? Don't seem quite right - as that's something everyone in the north country has at their house.

stumps

And some are reading what I said wrong. I'm not planning to deceive anyone. WHEN ITS TIME to actually get the policy, they will get all the info. If at that time they either won't insure the truck, or give me a crazy high quote (like the $2000/yr. State Farm quoted me for my new snowmobile several years ago), then I'll attempt to get a policy elsewhere. ONLY if I can't get a reasonable price, or am refused by everyone, will I take any chances. But thats a LAST resort.

Jim
I don't think anyone thinks you are trying to put something over on your insurance company, quite the contrary. You are being warned that the insurance companies are perfectly happy to write policies (and collect monies for policies) that they will not honor due to technicalities. It has been shown time and again that you are responsible for reading your policy and determining if it applies to your situation.

-Chuck

rat4spd

I don't think anyone thinks you are trying to put something over on your insurance company, quite the contrary. You are being warned that the insurance companies are perfectly happy to write policies (and collect monies for policies) that they will not honor due to technicalities. It has been shown time and again that you are responsible for reading your policy and determining if it applies to your situation.

-Chuck
That's pretty much what I was thinking.

Alredneck

Banned
One more thing, I use to use Nationwide but they took a dump on me so I switched everything over to USAA and got my house and dodge on there policy with nothing more than a phone call when I got done with them they emailed me my temp cards and transfered me over to Progressive who set me up with my comercial policy for all the military trucks, they to emailed me temp card and in a couple days the actual policy and cards came in the mail. All I needed was a phone and debit/credit card and it was down from the comfort of my living room and a short walk to the mail box.:-D

roscoe

My point...regardless what you *think* you may have, when it comes time to need it, many people find their ins. company bails out on them anyway. So I'm not too worried about the details, as long as my company tells me I have insurance, and I have paperwork to show for it, its enough for me
I agree, insurance is great until you need it. I insure everything at a minimal due to past experiences. State farm has been good to me so far. Commercial policy for deuce about 350/year.

stumps

I see that some of you are saying that you have commercial policies. I think you had better be sure that is the case, in fact. I was just quoted by Gulfway, and because the deuce is a heavy truck, they have to use a commercial underwriter, and a commercial policy, but the policy is very limited. Your allowed uses are the following:

1) parades and shows
2) antique club activities
3) occasional joy riding (not listed, but they say it is ok).
4) carrying antique cars and tractors.

You may not haul anything! No lumber, no firewood, no trash, no furniture, no things to sell at the shows. Nothing! You may only tow a trailer that has been quoted by Gulfway. The trailer may not be used for habitation. The truck may not be used for habitation. No towing folks out of ditches, no towing deuces from GL sites. No daily driving. No commuting. No commercial activity of any kind.

They were very specific. No was the answer to virtually all of my questions. I was surprised that they would allow me to haul antique tractors and cars. I am annoyed that I won't be allowed to do any truck like things with my deuce.

So, if you have a commercial policy for your deuce, please look through it, and let us know what you are allowed to do. I would bet that for $250 - $350/year, you are limited to hauling your ass to car shows, and parades.

-Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks