• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I cant get insurance!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

historyfanatics

Interesting. I had an auto policy with Progressive, and made a claim. They took care of it that day.

However, when I looked into getting insurance on a deuce, they wouldn't touch it. These are the same folks who had the claim on my '42 GPW and M100 trailer for several years. I had to switch to Allstate because of lower prices.

Down here in Texas, you can fill out a form and submit to the State (Department of Public Safety) that states you carry no insurance AND the vehicle is used ONLY for shows or that it is being rebuilt/repaired. I used this on my '42 until I could get regular insurance. I have also used this on other vehicles I have owned temporarily. Just DON'T get in an accident.

Progressive referred me to one of the historical insurance firms. They said no goods hauling. I can haul items for my display, however. And, a trailer would be covered as long as the truck is not purpose-built to tow a trailer, such as a tractor-type truck (i.e., M52). An M35 pulling a trailer would be fine. Very friendly. Just don't do anything commercial. Of course, that's down here and with my drivng record. Up where you are at, it would be different.

As I get closer to getting my stuff road-ready, I'll ask my current provider what they can do.

Robert
www.HistoryFanatics.net

Carl_in_NH

You folks have mentioned the limitations with the inexpensive collector insurance - they are indeed the limiting factors.

I checked Gulfway, and Hagarity; Gulfway has less restrictions, Hagarity had the most restrictions - including requiring it to be stored in a locked garage - but they were the least expensive; $100 a year. Would have been $138 - but the towing option won't cover something as large as a deuce - so they knock off that coverage and cost. Interestingly enough, I found out that there's a law in NH that states a _minimum_ cost for any vehicle insurance (according to Hagarity) - and this was at that floor price of $100 a year. Yes, you can use the vehicle to go get ice cream on a hot day, as well as shows and parades - but that's about it.

Gulfway was a little less restirctive - but not much if you really do something with the vehicle. Their cost was a little more than twice that of Hagerity, and didn't require garaging - but it's collectors insurance, and as such they figure their liability is quite limited because the vehicle isn't driven much at all. There are restrictions.

That's why I kept looking for a 'normal' policy that would allow 'Harry Homeowner' tasks - like fetching firewood, building materials, dirt, and just about anything else a rural owner would do with a giant pick-up truck. That's why SF got my business - they understood that I intended to make use of the cargo carrying ability, and what the loaded maximum weight would be on surface streets.

Some people are quoting how little their insurance cost - sometimes half what mine cost; I'd be interested to know what the liability limits are on those policies. I carry higher limits - many times the state mandated minimums. It doesn't take much to blow through the state mandated limits now-a-days, considering the cost of new vehicles that will turn into a tinfoil ball when hit by a deuce. Am I spending too much? Perhaps - but if I were in an accident, I'd much rather have those higher limits to work with than loose my house in a lawsuit. Might an insurance company try to wiggle out of covering something? Sure - they are in a business and that requires monitoring cash flow and if they can limit the amount of money that goes out, their bottom line is better. You just have to be ready to fight to make them do what's needed sometimes to fully cover a claim. Is that right? No - but that's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks