• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I DON'T NEED NO SF-97!!!

area52

No this is not a rant against GL. Just got off the phone with my insurance agent (Allstate).

She said she can issue me a title bond for my deuce and I can take that along with my VIN verification from the State Police to the DMV to get my title/registration.

Cost: $100!!(plus DMV fees).

This is in New Mexico so your mileage may vary and I will check in on Thursday after I attempt this route.

Wish me luck and I hope this can work for some of you (FMJ!!).

ida34

RE: I DON

We have discussed bonded titles before. In Michigan if the vehicle is under $2500 no bond is needed.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: I DON

I called USAA and they had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned title bond......keep me posted!

m376x6

Title Bonding

I've done this on 5 tons as well as deuces here in Colorado. Requires a certified vin inspection, a State title search (even for a gov vehicle), an appraisal from a licensed car dealer, and a bond for the value of the vehicle. and the title fee at the county clerks office. I use to be able to get a title for around 80 dollars. Things have gone up though, especially the bond. Call around to independent insurance dealers, generally they say in their yellow pages ad that they do title bonds, and the fee is based on the value. The appraisal must be on a letter head from a dealer (go back to the salesman you bought your last car or truck from and get him to say it's worth 300 or whatever). It used to be you had to drive the vehicle to a State Patrol Inspection station, so it had to be road worthy with a temporary tag and insured. It may now just be a local law inforcement officer, but it must be a certified inspection the last I had done. Contact your county clerk for those here in Colorado, they generally have the instruction sheet and some of the forms. A bit of hassle trying to get everything done in a timely fashion but maybe easier than dealing with GL.

Regards,
M376X6

jwaller

RE: Title Bonding

you dont need a title in GA either. only a bill of sale and your good to go. I like having the 97's but it's not needed.

Blood_of_Tyrants

RE: Title Bonding

Here is what the law says about getting a title for a vehicle over 30 years old in Tennessee

55-3-103. Application for certificate of title — Form and contents — Statement of dealer or bill of sale. —

(2) Notwithstanding any provision of this chapter to the contrary, a person may apply for a certificate of title to a vehicle lacking proper documentation, if the vehicle is at least thirty (30) years old and the person submits a certificate of ownership signed under penalty of perjury on a form prescribed by the department.

(3) Upon submission of a complete certificate of ownership form with the required supporting documentation and payment of the appropriate fee, a certificate of title shall be issued and the county clerk shall issue a license plate to the applicant upon acceptance by the county clerk of the submitted documents and payment of the appropriate fees. A certificate of title issued pursuant to the provisions of this subsection (e) shall not relieve the registrant of civil or criminal liability resulting from possession of the vehicle as otherwise provided by law. Issuance of a title or registration under the certification provisions is solely dependent on the applicant's ability to provide satisfactory evidence of the applicant's legal right of ownership and conformity to all related provisions as prescribed in

steelandcanvas

Re: Title Bonding

m376x6 said:
It may now just be a local law inforcement officer, but it must be a certified inspection the last I had done. Contact your county clerk for those here in Colorado, they generally have the instruction sheet and some of the forms. A bit of hassle trying to get everything done in a timely fashion but maybe easier than dealing with GL.

Regards,
M376X6
M376X6, I am going through this procedure now. I was given a list of LEOs with the training to verify VINs. Not just any LEO is authorized to do it. Maybe a policy change?

John

I bonded my m269 that I bought from a scrap yard . and allstate insurance (aztec) you won't have any problem getting your title. kenny

area52

Ed,

Call your local Allstate agent up and if they don't know what it is, let me know and I will give you my agents number so they can call and find out.

m376x6

Re: Title Bonding

steelandcanvas said:
m376x6 said:
It may now just be a local law inforcement officer, but it must be a certified inspection the last I had done. Contact your county clerk for those here in Colorado, they generally have the instruction sheet and some of the forms. A bit of hassle trying to get everything done in a timely fashion but maybe easier than dealing with GL.

Regards,
M376X6
M376X6, I am going through this procedure now. I was given a list of LEOs with the training to verify VINs. Not just any LEO is authorized to do it. Maybe a policy change?

John
Then it hasn't changed. It use to be only a select group of State troopers could do it. Then if you were lucky an Officer close to you after the State Patrol was overwhelmed and they relented and started training locals. The last time I checked, we had two in this county. It is a lot better than driving a 5 ton tractor down to Lakewood like I had to several years ago. The Trooper was so relieved and glad I had wire wheeled many many layers of paint off of the frame rail for him to read the vin.

Regards,
Bryan

PS. if yo know of any body that is need of some 9.00-20 military tires in very good shape send them my way. I figure $25 apiece is a great deal.

Regards,
Bryan

poppop

RE: Re: Title Bonding

In GA. any Officer can do it. I had my Duece done Monday and I had to lead him through it. Small town city kitty but its good to go.

poppop

RE: Re: Title Bonding

In follow up he did call for a Warrents check and it came back negitave. He said its a Government sale vehickle so he was satisified.

jim-m35a2

Which route should I take. Below is the Michigan requirements for a MV without a title.

Thank you for using the Department of State's web site.

It will be necessary to get:

A Court Order. A court order awarding ownership of a vehicle can be used but
must contain the year, make, and vehicle identification number (VIN) of the
vehicle; or

A Surety Bond. Without a court order, you must obtain a surety bond. A surety
bond is like an insurance policy, and is purchased by the applicant from an
insurance company or bonding agency. It must be for twice the fair market value
of the vehicle. ("Fair market value" can be established by a dealer appraisal
or a recognized vehicle appraisal guide.) The bond is posted for three years
and is returned if no claims are filed during the three-year period, or

As a last resort, if the vehicle is six or more years old and valued at $2,500
or less, you can apply for a title at a Secretary of State branch office. You
will need to complete a TR-205 Certification of Ownership (available at all
Secretary of State offices), stating you are the rightful owner of the vehicle,
and including the vehicle description, the true value of the vehicle, and a
complete explanation of how, when, where, and from whom the vehicle was
acquired.

If you have other questions, feel free to contact us at 888 SOSMICH
(888-767-6424).

Sincerely,

N. Green, Department Technician
Department of State Information Center

Forget the court order. The last time I was in front of a judge, he gave all my chit to my ex-wife. :evil:

Would fair market value be what I paid for the deuce at the GL auction? I figure if my truck was worth more then what I paid for it, somebody would have out bid me then agin, scrape value is more then what I paid. I paid $890.00 for my truck. The "Last resort" seems like it will be many trips to the SOS office to clear things up.
Jim
________
Vaaapp

Last edited:

Blythewoodjoe

You can't go wrong with the bond if you get it back in a few years. I have to buy bonds for plumbing jobs from time to time. Check with your insurance agent and if that don't work, call the city license office and ask them where to buy one.

jeli

I did mine in MN by filling out a "statement of fact". It's a breif summary of the situation. That and a copy of the GL invoice got me a clear title. If you bought more than one vehicle I'd get SF97's. They probably keep track of how many you submit. Sooner or later someone may ask questions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks