• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I feel odd driving my M886

Blythewoodjoe

OK guys, here's the deal. I really like my Ambulance, but I get odd looks when I drive it. I don't have a problem with that usually but it's starting to get to me. When people look at the deuce or 5 ton I look back with that "yea baby, you wish you where driving this" but I don't feel that way in the Ambulance. The real question is, should I paint back over the red cross? That's really what makes it stand out, in an odd way. But then will it just look like a big green box van? I'm so confussed. Maybe I should just paint over the cross and then camo it.

So throw the comments at me. I already know:

It's mine and I can do what I want.
I can suck it up and be a big boy and not worry about what people think.
I can just not drive.

The reality is I don't drive it much because people give me the "what kind of freek would drive an Ambulance" look instead of the "what kind of freek would drive an army truck" look. I like the last look.

Joe the Ambulance driver :wink:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I say drive it as an ambulance but all your above comments apply...it's yours.

At least it's not a hearse or graves registration truck so drive on I say!:p

maxim

To me, driving an ambulance would a sign of humanity and compassion even if the vehicle is a retired MV. Your first quote, "I really like my Ambulance" says it all. It was purpose built to be an ambulance and you should be proud to own an example. There are people who re-enact as medics. Why? Beacuse they like it. Nothing to defend about that. There is probably more military personel than you ever know who were very glad to see that big red cross on a helmet, armband, tent top, helocopter, or even yes a lowly Dodge 886...Drive it with pride. I suppose it takes someone special to be a corpsman, so too, to drive a retired ambulance.

Last edited:

Yohan

Great post, Blythewood! If you drive up to a stop light and the guy next to you gives you that "what kind of freak" look, do a smokey burn-out while giving him that "you wish you were driving this" look. If you're anything like me, you won't be able to keep a straight face for long and you'll forget all about how dumb someone might think you are for driving an ambulance.

Of course, I wouldn't actually do the smokey burn-out thing, but if you like that rig; drive it with pride! If it really bugs you, then take it out at night, tint the windows, or put a magnetic sign on it that says "I'd Rather Be Driving My 5 Ton!" Or a sign that reads, "You Wish You Were Driving This".

Anyhoo, the list goes on... :-D

MedicMog

I drive my ambulance with pride, (I'm former 91 B) so that helps, but I've found most folks just assume its current issue and are just generally curious. Now if your like me I keep two fully dressed manikins on the litters in the rear just to toy with people.....:twisted: and to help get out of tickets. (Not speeding obviously)

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Heck...i would be proud to drive that anywhere!!!!

And I hope you bring the beautiful daughter to GA Rally again so we can play another game of ....shoot...was it duck, duck, goose? I forgot...but she sure made our day!!:-D

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...it's what YOU think, that counts! Not what the people think when they see your truck!:smile:

It is a great vehicle! Paint it O.D. and take it for a ride. Not much difference for sure....

G.

PS: Love my M886!

Attachments

Lawrence of Arabia

There the crazy ones, not us

I specifically drive odd, old, rusty, clapped out, unrestored, military, classic, camoflauged vehicles just to get those looks from people. They just don't understand and thats fine with me. Everyone has their thing that they like, our thing/addiction just happens to be really cool. Most people would'nt drive anything but a new care for fear of breaking down. I look forward to problems with my vehicles so I can enjoy fixing them and learn from each experience.

ABN173

Having been a 91B medic (for a little while in the reserves) I would keep the cross. If it was an ambulance while in service all the more reason to keep it that way. Besides it is not what others think about it, more about what you think but that is my two cents.

-Dale

StatesvilleNC

The vets seem to appreciate seeing my M43 out tooling around. They're the only ones whose opinion I would really care about. If I thought I was for some reason making vets uncomfortable I'd get rid of it in a hurry. As for everyone else, I've never really gotten any vibes one way or another. I would guess those who have an appreciation for history and those who are involved in emergency services would probably appreciate your ride more than those who don't understand why we preserve mvs. Drive that great looking truck with pride Joe.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe,
Go back to the MVCSC Blythewood compound and look at Dave's ambulance. It has panels on both sides that are the red cross, and they fit in groves so it's reversable. That way you can be all green one day, slide them up and turn around and be an ambulance the next. Problem solved!

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not the vehicle you drive, but how you act as a man, the company you keep, and how you carry yourself. Actions speak...

That being said, they reason they are looking at you like a freak is not because of the vehicle, but because of the wheels. Put originals back on or paint em flat OD green. No more looks. Just giving you a hard time.

Just focus on you, your family, and your friends and forget the billions of other out there who you have no idea who they are.

I was in one of my deuces recently towing an equipment trailer hauling my oliver tractor. Pulled up to a light and a couple in a lexus pulled up on my left side. Old guy sitting shot gun gestured at me by holding his index finger and his thumb about an inch apart. Had no idea what he was trying to say, so I mouthed "what?" back to him. He did it again and then the light turned green. They turned left, I went straight. I surmized that he was trying to say I had a small "unit" for driving an amry truck? Or, the tactor didn't have an inch to spare on the trailer? He didn't laugh or anything, no facial expression. After a minute or two of trying to figure out what he was trying to say, I just forgot about and thought to myself WHO CARES. I got too much other stuff to worry about. Just looked over at my 4 year old son sitting next to me, gave each other nucks and drove on....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say drive it as an ambulance but all your above comments apply...it's yours.

At least it's not a hearse or graves registration truck so drive on I say!:p
And just to think, I was going to suggest a black cross for graves registration. I don't think it's the cross, me thinks it's the wheels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks