• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I hate the Smell of Maple Syrup

AJMBLAZER

AMG built the HMMWV's. The CUCV's were meant to complement the HMMWV's and do the jobs the HMMWV was overkill for. Notice the CUCV and original HMMWV use similar engines and transmissions and similar technology transfer cases. Ford and Dodge were at a disadvantage since obviously they didn't use what was essentially a GM drivetrain and they didn't offer diesels that would have fit.

I have a friend who hosts a site full of GM sales literature, ads, stuff like that. I asked him to find it for me as I know he has the ad you speak of. It's from the mid 80's.

Again, the 6.2L didn't exist in '80. Hard to sell the government on what at that point would have been a working prototype.

southdave

let me dig around find the article It was a news week 1979 or 1980 almost photographic memo." dam I have oldtimmers
After General Dynamics bought out Chrysler's Defense Products group, they modified the Expanded Mobility vehicle and came up with this. It was called the XM998, and 11 of them were sent to the army for testing in mid-1982, featuring both Deutz and Chrysler engines. None of the vehicles were accepted. The vehicle was available in a troop/cargo version, as well as a weapons carrier. You can read more about this vehicle in the article in the thumbnail above. Note that 2 of these vehicles have humvee-like rims, but one of them has more civilian-like rims see link above also look xm311 I think it was protype 1968 or 9

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

Canada bought a bunch of Chevy pickups in the late 70's but they weren't CUCV's. Pretty much standard 350, SM465, NP205 3/4 tons. Round headlights and all.

I've got the Hummer Humvee in action by Squadron Signal and it mentions a Chrysler Defense contender and then Chrysler Defense eventually being bought by GD but also that the AMG entry was origanally based on the FMC XR311 design:
FMC XR311 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That had an AMC 360 V8 if I remember correctly.
High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Notice the mention of AMG but nothing about Dodge/Chrysler defense?

At any rate, Dodge had nothing to do with our HMMWV, Chrysler had a contender that lost, and the CUCV is basically a militarized 83-84 Chevy Blazer or K30.

If you need parts for one, ask for a 84 K5 or 84 K30 and 90% of the time if the parts monkey finds the right one it will fit just fine.

southdave

RFP process multiple designs and bidder Wikipedia is kind oof revisionist anyone can add
It started in 1969 the xr311 chrysler had XM998 under development as did AMG then sold it
to GD due GM presented the Canuck version to the govt. prior to 1981 prob. with cummin it later develop the 6.2 all know is the babbling of an old man who worked on the project as a purchasing agent ( an account ) it same kind of valed still looking for the news week article.
it took almost 20 years and million dollars to develop the hmmvee I didn't Know that but I do remember the hot wheel thing when I was seven. I knew xm998 thouht that was direct linage.

southdave

sorry I got sectary at work she fills in the blanks. At the first trails it was candian cucv spec.unit that is what the started from, I am guessing here but in the late 70's cummins motors where offered in some trucks and vans. in order to satisfy the diesel requirement of the RFP. it could happen. I am done I learn alot thanks

Cmdr Qualude

Heater seems to work fine... I'm just having a hard time trying to roll the windows up. BTW back in the day, They used to make us take the tops off of the jeeps when doing training down range. Problem was it was winter in Colorado. I solved that issue by placing a 1" hose into the heater vent. My[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Lieutenant was not so impressed and gave me the option of either removing it or installing one for him... I opted for the latter.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

panama

Just pulled my heater core due to the same green puddle in the passenger side floor. Thanks a bunch to IRWFO for the pics. Between those and the -20 it was an easy pull. I have a new heater core and hoses, cleaned up the heater box but can't find the heater core seals. Mine are in pretty bad shape, as you can imagine. The -20P calls for SEAL, RUBBER SPECIAL P/N 6273325. Google does not turn up a source. AC Delco does not list it and Napa does not stock one either. Any ideas where one could be found before I use alternate sealing methods? THANKS!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks