• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I Have a ? regarding the specialized wrench needed to take off the head.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 1972 M109 with a C turbo with a Blown head gasket.

Reference Video
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEIHjNoIeNU

I know there are multiple threads on how to changed the head gasket on a M35A2, however my inquiry today is in reference to the tool that is used to remove the head. I have the TM 9-2320-209-34-2-1 Page 2-42 on how to change the head its self.

Is there a name of the tool or place that i can buy this tool?

I have the Head Gasket Set and upper end gasket kit from Memphis Trucking. I want to start this project on Thursday this week; however I just want to ensure that I have the right tools.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I am in the process of putting my motor back together. I pulled the heads last weekend to put new gaskets in. Do yourself a favor and pressure wash all that sh!t off the motor. It has taken me longer to clean everything up to put back together than the job it self. Also, I found it will make your life much easier to pull the head studs when cleaning up the block.

PM me an address, I can send some head tools to ya.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright Gentlemen I started the tear down by the TM. here is what I have done so far

1. I taken off the Oil filter housing.
2. I have taken off the fuel lines and also the lines in between the injectors.
3. I have taken off the thermostat housing and disconnected the Radiator and hoses.
4. I have taken off the Air Box and hoses.
5. I have started to take off the housing for the breather that is connected to the metal pipe that runs down by the turbo.

Tomorrow I need to start unbolting the exhaust and start taken off the turbo tomorrow.

Attachments

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh I fabricated the head tool also today. I used the some of the information located here on steel soldiers. I took to a good friend and welder. Now I still might have to re-enforce it but as right now it looks as if it will do the job.

1. 2 craftsman 7/8 wenches
2. 1 half inch extension 6 inches long

Tell me what you think

Attachments

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well day two is done before the rain hit.

1. I was able to take off the Breather tube, and take off the valve covers.
2. I was successful with removing the turbo but broke all four of the studded bolts. I am going to have to figure out how to put it back on later.
3. I removed all the injectors, and the miscellaneous items on top of the head.
4. I was attempting to remove the the exhaust manifold when I reached the last bolt. It seems to be seized and all must rounded off. I have a friend that might stop by tomorrow to cut the nut off for me.

I would of had the heads off tonight if that bolt did not stop me. Oh well I have tomorrow. 9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg15.jpg16.jpg17.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

gimpyrobb

That head near the firewall comes WAY up. It would be handy to remove the air lines above it. I even creased the drip channel that is right under the hood. Not much room there!

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Sir I will do that. My biggest concern as of now is the Turbo mounting bolts that snapped off. I have to find out how to drill and tap the rear two bolts that are closes to the engine. I have to the determine the size of the bolts. I know there 9/16. I also need to figure to nut size of the nut that I have to cut off the exhaust manifold tomorrow.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I was able to remove it today. It took a couple of hours; however, one stud less and it came right off. I had to take off the oil cooler and remove the fuel filter housing do to, while taking out the push rods some of the sleeves came out too. I had to remove the dibits if I am saying it right to have access to the side of the motor to put the sleeves back in correctly. I now have to buy another two gaskets. I coated the everything in DW40 because it is going to have to sit for a couple days until the gaskets come in. On the bright side I broke the head bolts lose and now it should not be that hard to remove the head. I went ahead and removed the air lines so it should not catch when I the back head up.

gimpyrobb

My heads were no fun to pry up from the block. I hope yours are easier!

Once the heads are off and you get ready to clean the block up, I think I recommend pulling the head studs out. I cleaned and cleaned till my fingers bled and it still wasn't enough. I had to do more the next day too. ALSO, I drained fluid from everywhere I could find a drain, half a second with some compressed air found a LOT of fluid! Wear your PPE when using air.

59apache

Chipmaker
sleeve.jpg
turn the engine over and check for cracks...guess how i know it?aua
I'ordered the gaskets and cleaned the block first. All head bolts are rusted in, no chance to remove them....i've cleaned the whole surface around the bolts, 1 day work...after that i started to clean the bore, turned over and hurrah!
This piston was on TDC, of course.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
X4 thank you. My plain is to chase all the studs with a thread chaser, and but never seize on everything that has a bolt. All of the bolts have an obsessive amount of paint on them, so I am going to wire brush them clean. I will conduct the inspection of the block to ensure that there is no cracks.

I do have a few questions.

How many gallons of oil does it take to refill the LTD465?

Is there a TM on how to properly adjust the valves when I put them back on?

I have the torque spec, but is there torque pattern when tightening the bolts to the head?

I have all new gasket besides the turbo gasket. The old one looks in go shape. Would it be okay to use it?

59apache

Chipmaker
This :
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...euce-Torque-Spec-Cheat-Sheet&highlight=torque

is extremly helpfull!
You got the right torque and the TM number for every (nearly) job on a deuce!
You will find the correct torque pattern easily!

I've trialed everything with my head bolts.... 2 nuts countered? , special stud remover, the first simply slips, the second don't slip but brake apart.
Rust dissolver, WD40....nothing. So i've decided leave the bolts in the block. I bought a threading die , cleaned the threads aso.
Just to get the setback at the finishline......

:)
TM for oil:
LO 9-2320-209-12-1

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

That turbo gasket should be fine. Here are pics I put on my phone to look at while installing the heads. Pretty sure its 5.5 gallons, should be on your dashboard.

Attachments