• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have joined the Goat herd

combat32

Ground is too wet to do much here today, so I decided to try and free up my truss kit. I picked up an almost complete set a few years ago and they were rusted shut.
I was able to free up everything except the brace, she snapped off not sure how I will fix that. Anyone seen a spare brace floating around anywhere? I still need to pick up a couple quick disconnect pins and the heim joints that go at the bottom.

Attachments

combat32

Headed to Texas next weekend to pick up 5 more good used tires, thanks to some members on SS, they were hauled from Phoenix area to Austin for me, one looks like a European tread design, wonder if this style is a recap done in Germany?

SgtMajHarper

A couple of my wheels are stamped inside Sankey England, never noticed it before , also most of the wheels in my pile have no stamping at all. Were these early goat wheels? Later wheels made for the Army in Europe?
Today I painted my rims for the new recap tires I bought a while back, got 3 of them swapped out on the truck. I checked the rims and all 6 were marked Sankey England, 5 of them an A/71 stamp, 1 with a G/69 stamp.

SgtMajHarper

Today I painted my rims for the new recap tires I bought a while back, got 3 of them swapped out on the truck. I checked the rims and all 6 were marked Sankey England, 5 of them an A/71 stamp, 1 with a G/69 stamp.
I got the other 3 on the Goat today, while working on the rear end I noticed the shocks were made in Canada.....may as well be since the rims are from England.....guess I didn't realize we did that much out sourcing on US built in the 70's.

combat32

I didn't know that either, I googled Sankey, still making wheels but owned by another company. They were the first company to produce a one piece steel wheel, prior to 1910, can't remember the exact date.
Wasn't the t case produced by an English company as well?

SgtMajHarper

I didn't know that either, I googled Sankey, still making wheels but owned by another company. They were the first company to produce a one piece steel wheel, prior to 1910, can't remember the exact date.
Wasn't the t case produced by an English company as well?
I wouldn't know about who made what parts, betcha GamGoat1 might know...he's the only "Goat Whisperer" I know. I have however given a few parts I was working on my own personal pet name as I busted knuckles or couldn't reach something, thought they were all made in HE double toothpicks.

I wouldn't know about who made what parts, betcha GamGoat1 might know...he's the only "Goat Whisperer" I know. I have however given a few parts I was working on my own personal pet name as I busted knuckles or couldn't reach something, thought they were all made in HE double toothpicks.
From memory the LVT history page at sgaama tells of a change from US to UK transfer case, heard a rumour it was Bedford sourced but never been able to confirm. Sounds semi legit as Bedford were GM owned.

Spock

INFChief

Ain’t gonna lie; I absolutely HATED working on those things. You need to be a acrobatic university trained contortionist just to climb in. The brake hydraulic system; flippin nightmare.

You are a gluten for punishment. God Bless you Sir!

SgtMajHarper

Ain’t gonna lie; I absolutely HATED working on those things. You need to be a acrobatic university trained contortionist just to climb in. The brake hydraulic system; flippin nightmare.

You are a gluten for punishment. God Bless you Sir!
I have multiple strikes against me for working / operating these beasts. I'm tall, uncoordinated anyway, fatter than I should be, old and broken up: I have considered charging for admission for people to watch me ass-in and un-ass the vehicle. Watching and listening to me work on it would have to be rated R minimum and not for small children and those with weak hearts.

INFChief

I have multiple strikes against me for working / operating these beasts. I'm tall, uncoordinated anyway, fatter than I should be, old and broken up: I have considered charging for admission for people to watch me ass-in and un-ass the vehicle. Watching and listening to me work on it would have to be rated R minimum and not for small children and those with weak hearts.
That’s the spirit!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks