• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have joined the Goat herd

combat32

I'm back in action finally after a knee replacement then rotator surgery I have been down for couple years so the old goat just kind of sat out in my back pasture for couple years. I took a week off from work and drug her out of the grave it sank into, after checking everything over I hooked up the batts and it actually roared to life first time I hit the starter button, gotta love the 353.

So I spent the last couple days re organizing my parts and cleaning everything up. I decided to finally install my hardtop kit, that was a chore, believe it or not my instructions had survived in the box but are about worthless, its on just got about 50 more bolts to put in, it's growing on me. I wasnt sure if I would like it but I don't see a supply of soft tops in the future.

Attachments

combat32

I'm having a hell of a time trying get my oil pump on the transfer case to actually pull oil, I have primed it, bench tested it, seems to work, but it won't pull oil out of the bottom of the transfer case .

Am I missing something?

combat32

Ok I got that figured out, combination of a couple things, the two top bolt holes for the pump had the threads wallowed out and wouldn't stay tight. So I idrilled them out and installed a helicoil in each one .

Then I saw that Saturn Surplus sells new pumps on evil bay so I bought one. I compared it to the old one and it sure seemed to me that the spring was very compressed on my old pump compared to the new one.
Got it installed and now it pumps like mad, even just idling in neutral.

If you have a lazy pump might be time for a new spring at least, wonder if I can find a comparable spring out there somewhere?

Another Ahab

Ok I got that figured out, combination of a couple things, the two top bolt holes for the pump had the threads wallowed out and wouldn't stay tight. So I idrilled them out and installed a helicoil in each one .
Glad you solved your problem!

Helicoils are something new to me. Have you got any info on those things?

SgtMajHarper

Finally about ready to put in a new fuel sending unit(that actually works) from reading here seems like the way to go is the M38 jeep sender, looks awful short compared to my original, looking for some advice.
I was told that the replacement is the same as an M38, that's what I put in mine and it does the job.

combat32

After installing the pump and getting great oil flow, still had one more bolt at the top that was less than good in the tighten up dept.
So I took it all back apart, one more helicoil, tight working space in there but I got it done with the help of my granddaughter running off with my tools.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Basically a helicoil allows you to replace the threads in a stripped hole, drill out old threads, used supplied tap to re thread hole, screw in the helicoil, I use red loctite, and voila, you have a new threaded hole
I get it:

- It's a "thing", you can get kits for specific uses and all.

My background is carpentry, and I had never heard of these, guess it's more of an automotive thing.

Cool. Who knew?! Thanks for the Education, combat32!

1646928111298.png

combat32

Anyone here know of a source, or happen to have a driver's side seat frame?
After installing the hard top I am no longer able to install the passenger side seat frame.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks