• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I just won this M1082 2013 Oshkosh

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They can be towed without air by caging the trailer brakes. Most of the ones I've seen being sold by GP already have them caged so they can move them around.

Cheers

dougnash

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If its his first one probably. I know some one waiting since july 10th for an LMTV
Wow when paying for the trailer today by credit card I thought I read That I have 8 days to pick up the trailer after payment and then they start charging storage fees.

But it sounds like I'm totally wrong...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wow when paying for the trailer today by credit card I thought I read That I have 8 days to pick up the trailer after payment and then they start charging storage fees.

On the listing it says notices and restrictions and says it has an EUC on it

Attachments

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats, Havre DeGrace is a cool lil post, been there a few times picking stuff up. The gp rep is super helpful.

whats your plans for it

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably my friend's work pickup, he pulls a big flatbed trailer with a bobcat and accessories on it all the time

It's about 180 miles each way, so it is also in reach with using my MV
I'd use the MV. It's within reach and would make a nice little roadtrip for the MV.

Here's the thing about the pickup truck -

Sure, he moves 25,000lbs with it on a regular basis. But his trailer has brakes and the lion's share of the braking is done by the trailer brakes. The 1082 only weighs 1/4 as much, but it's completely unbraked behind a pickup truck. It will behave oddly if you have to stop suddenly.

I won't lecture you about the legalities (it isn't). My concern isn't whether you're legal. I worry about you squashing someone.

Edit - or do you mean to load the 1082 on his flatbed? That sounds like a fine idea.....

dougnash

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd use the MV. It's within reach and would make a nice little roadtrip for the MV.

Here's the thing about the pickup truck -

Sure, he moves 25,000lbs with it on a regular basis. But his trailer has brakes and the lion's share of the braking is done by the trailer brakes. The 1082 only weighs 1/4 as much, but it's completely unbraked behind a pickup truck. It will behave oddly if you have to stop suddenly.

I won't lecture you about the legalities (it isn't). My concern isn't whether you're legal. I worry about you squashing someone.

Edit - or do you mean to load the 1082 on his flatbed? That sounds like a fine idea.....
I think I am just going to take the MV to retrieve it.

This way I don't have to borrow anyone's stuff, which I hate doing.

Will be a good trip for the MV too.

dougnash

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats, Havre DeGrace is a cool lil post, been there a few times picking stuff up. The gp rep is super helpful.

whats your plans for it
I'm not sure yet.

I live in a suburban area and I work in sales so use will be limited.

I know I want to get the uprights bows and tarp so whatever I keep in the trailer could be a little protected from the weather.

I could picture having a 10 or 15kw generator sitting up there, maybe a few spare tires, large tool box and some type of small crane.

Any suggestions ?

It will definitely get painted camo

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know what size of cage bolts to get for one or these? I'm about to pick one up that has no cage bolts on it. And yes I'll be hauling it with a 3/4 ton pickup. It'll be alright. On the plaque it says 420 for tounge weight, is that correct because I was thinking 720 from military web site.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know what size of cage bolts to get for one or these? I'm about to pick one up that has no cage bolts on it. And yes I'll be hauling it with a 3/4 ton pickup. It'll be alright. On the plaque it says 420 for tounge weight, is that correct because I was thinking 720 from military web site.

https://www.nsncenter.com/Library/PSMAG/PS_688?PageNumber=9 talks a little about cage bolts for the MTV trucks, there are 2 different lengths.
https://www.wbparts.com/rfq/5306-01-479-1492.html gives the bolt specifications you should need to figure it out.
I'm not 100% sure as I haven't checked the parts manual for you or anything, but it makes sense to me that the MTV trucks and the trailer for the MTV trucks would use the same air brake parts. I could be wrong though.

What I'm finding is 750 lbs tongue weight, and an empty weight of 6500 lbs.
With as top heavy as these trailers are, every bit you lower the tongue it's going to increase the tongue weight. Pintle height on the MTV series trucks is 34-36 inches high, to get to most pickup heights (12-20 inches) that's a lot of extra weight you'll be dealing with.

And while you say you'll be alright with your 3/4 ton pickup, we still feel it important to note for anyone else who reads this that towing ANY trailer over 3000 lbs in the United States is ILLEGAL. If you get into any type of accident, even if it is NOT your fault, you can still be found at fault and ticketed/fined for doing so, your trailer will most likely get held/impounded until you have a vehicle that is legal to tow it with, and just generally you will have a VERY bad time.

Texas state law is a little different, but unless you plan to stay under 30mph you're still going to be illegal.

TEXAS
A trailer or pole trailer is required to have brakes if its gross weight exceeds 4,500 lbs. A trailer with a gross weight between 4,500 lbs. and 15,000 lbs. is not required to have brakes if it is towed at a speed of not more than 30 mph.

Federal law (commercial vehicle I believe)
§393.42(b)(3) of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations FMCSRs states that any full trailer, any semitrailer, or any pole trailer having a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 3,000 pounds or less must be equipped with brakes if the weight of the towed vehicle resting on the towing vehicle exceeds 40 percent of the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the towing vehicle. Is the manufacturer of the trailer responsible for ensuring that the trailer is equipped with brakes when required?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Standard cage bolts as used on 939series trucks fit in my experience.

Nose down is going to be considerably more tongue weight than specified.

You have airbrake vehicles. I'd use one of those long before I'd pull it with a 3/4 ton truck.

My redtruck is obviously a 1ton dually and weighs 9300lbs empty, with manual transmission and exhaust brake. The hitch has been altered to tow military trailers level. Even so, the M1082 is a handful behind it. It'll be even more of a handful behind anything smaller.

Attachments

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm debating roadtriping my bobber to pick it up 402 miles one way. I need cage bolts and an the trailer cable for lights. I'll have to stop by oreliys for the cage bolts but cable?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'm debating roadtriping my bobber to pick it up 402 miles one way. I need cage bolts and an the trailer cable for lights. I'll have to stop by oreliys for the cage bolts but cable?

If you don't have an intervehicle cable that is 12pin to 12pin then you would need to fab something up.
Standard 4 wire trailer spool scotchlokd into the tail lights of the deuce and magnet leds on the trailer. 800mi round trip in a deuce wouldn't be worth the trailer to me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks