• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I Need a Voltmeter Gauge for a CUCV M1009 1985

jawalter

Voltage Gauge Testing

Do you have a variable DC power supply that you can use for troubleshooting the gauge? If not, you could try hooking up three 9V batteries in series with the guage to see if it reads approximately 27V.

Hey there folks,

I have a question for ya. When I removed my gauge from the M1009, I noticed that I didn't have the "ceramic" resistor on the back. I only had two wires attached to the gauge. I looked at the pic that was posted here earlier and wrapped my new resistor around the appropriate terminals. When I turned the key to the "on" position it pegged the gauge. Tested the terminals at the wire harness, 24v approx. with digital multimeter. Is it possible that this is a 24volt gauge? I understand from prior reading that is suppose to be a 12v. If it is, I guess that the gauge has gone bad, cause it will show approx. 24v prior to start up, will show 28v for a brief time after start up, then it will peg out. Any suggestions? New gauge? THANKS guyz!View attachment 581920View attachment 581921

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this thread is old as the hills but I have a non working volt gauge in my truck I believe a new resistor will fix it. The 300 ohm resistors I'm seeing online are mostly 1 watt or 5 watt. Does it matter which one I use?

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I put the resistor from Mouser in my stock voltmeter & it works but I'm confused. I haven't run the truck yet but when I switch the key on it get 25v on both sides of the resistor. The needle is at 12 o'clock. I thought the resistor was supposed to drop the voltage to 12v?

chevymike

Well, I put the resistor from Mouser in my stock voltmeter & it works but I'm confused. I haven't run the truck yet but when I switch the key on it get 25v on both sides of the resistor. The needle is at 12 o'clock. I thought the resistor was supposed to drop the voltage to 12v?
Your using the stock gauge? It is a 24v gauge. If you have 12 volts to it, it's not going to register.

askew753

Yeah I looked up that part number & saw the specs. Just wondering if the 1 watt resistor would work too.
Not sure if anyone ever got back to you or not. But if you do the math, 24 Volts through a 300 Ohm resistor it comes out to 1.92 Watts. E=I x R (I=V/R), P=V x I. 24/300=.08 and 24 x .08 = 1.92. So, it might work for a while, but you really should be using a resistor rated for 5 Watts.

jdowney

I like the Datcon.

I was toying with the idea of putting in two 12V gauges like the two charging lights, that way I should be able to see each alternator's performance. Nice to know there are 24V options though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks