• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need an alternator.

westexhunt

I have had the deuce for a week now and have done some work on it and some driving around the farm. I used the service manuals in the resources section and have been all around very pleased with this website. I figured out this morning that the alternator is defective. I did some searches but did not find what I was looking for. What should I do, find a stock replacement, rebuild this one or put on a Delco unit?

cbvet

This comes up often.
I've heard $150 to $200 to have them rebuilt. Can't even guess at new cost.
Periodically used ones are available. Members on this site will probably speak up soon.
I recently bought a 24 volt 105 amp "civilian" type alternator for $110, which I plan to mount in a Deuce with a large power inverter.
Good Luck!
Eric
CBVET

joesco

Yes, get it rebuilt, as it is probably the regulator. Some auto parts stores provide this service or find a good auto-electrical shop in your area. Mine was a toasted alternator and was $180.00 for the rebuild job. If you can find a new old stock (NOS) alternator, plan on paying at least $400.00 for one. Good luck.

scottc

Mine needed an alternator, I planned on putting a Delco on it, priced the delco around 200-250 I can't remember exactly. While I was at the auto parts store we looked to see what the oem replacement would run, I think it was in the neighborhood of $1,600.00. Ended up getting lucky, a buddy of mine had one sitting in his shop, he had no use for it so he gave it to me. I never thought about getting it rebuilt, that sounds like a great option.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You think rebuilding a 60a alt for $200 is better than a 100a alt for $115? I'd go with the civy one. PM sent.

avengeusa

I think i may go with a civvy unit

a delco 21SI, 22SI, or even a 27SI are very similar for mounting and pulley configuration

joesco

$115.00 for a 24v alternator, grab it then! When I had to replace or rebuild, I could not find a 24v for less than $200.00 at local parts shops, but 12v Delco's sell for much less. Plus the time to fab a bracket, just wasn't the way to go for me. But seeing lots on Ebay for under $100.00 would be the way to go next time around, for sure!

tm america

where did you get the 24 volt civy alt for that price and do you have pics my alt crapped out and im starting to loose faith in the mv alts out there this is the second one now:cry:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 4 canned motors and each one has an alternator (luckily). One looks new. I'm reluctant to sell any as anytime I do, I end up needing one.

avengeusa

I have a couple of good take off ones for $100 and another unit for $75 that needs the endbells replaced(I will include). Let me know if you are interested.
what would it cost for shipping to 48161?

endbells?

what are endbells? I need to be schooled, mine has a bad regulator.... got one?

avengeusa

where did you get the 24 volt civy alt for that price and do you have pics my alt crapped out and im starting to loose faith in the mv alts out there this is the second one now:cry:
do a search, alternators are categorized by a "lester #"

do an internet search for "LESTER 7197" it is a GM/Delco 24 volt, 65 amp alternator that has mounting tabs which are extremely close to the original deuce alternator, very minor wire mod, and about 115 dollars should get you one

westexhunt

May take you up on that.

I have a couple of good take off ones for $100 and another unit for $75 that needs the endbells replaced(I will include). Let me know if you are interested.

I took my alternator to a local (small town) rebuild shop over a month ago. He has ordered stators for it twice (mine is burned up) but both of the units he ordered were much narrower (over 1" narrower) than the one that came on my deuce. He happened to have two older deuce alternators on the shelf that he did not know the origin of and offered to rebuild one of those (both narrower stator like the replacement parts that he had ordered), and let me use it until he found one of the wide stator units. Do you (or anyone reading this) know where to get the wide stator. I will have to go back to the shop to pick one up and will try to get pics of both. Thanks

avengeusa

does anyone have one of those delco lester 7197 alts on their truck pics would help and how do you like it what did you do for a pulley
the pulley from the deuce should be a direct bolt in swap.....

I will know more today

I am digging right now, it will be nice to have a near drop in swap for the guys who want a cheaper alternative than a stock item

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks