• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need an enclosed trailer to tow behind my Deuce

jesusgatos

I just bought an M109 that I'm converting into a motorhome. I'm going to be living in it full-time, so I need to haul a trailer full of dirt bikes and other toys and all my tools and junk. Ideally, I'd like to find (or build) something that's just big enough to fit my Tacoma inside (16ft), but I'd consider anything between 12-20ft. I would prefer something based on a military chassis so I won't have to worry about taking it off-road, but I haven't found anything like what I'm looking for. If it doesn't exist, I was thinking I could take an M105 trailer, lengthen the frame, then set something like a U-Haul box on top of it. Would the M105 be a good trailer to start with in that case? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dm22630

Use a towbar to pull your tacoma & put the dirtbikes in its bed.

M109s are already lacking on power & you would not be able to break 45mph going downhill if you tried to pull a large trailer behind one.

2cents

jesusgatos

It's gotta be an enclosed trailer of some sort. The Tacoma already has a towbar with a pintle-hook on it so I can flat-tow it behind the Deuce, but it's going to be in storage most of the time. This is just to haul additional fuel, water, tools and dirt bikes.

Mike_Pop

With my trailer, you could put an S280 shelter on it and still have room for a vehicle behind it.

Mike_Pop

If you are going to modify an M105 trailer, remember the height of the frame is about 33" off the ground and is somewhat narrow. Putting a vehicle it may make it somewhat top heavy and dangerous. How about looking for an M1061 trailer? They're 14' long and have a 5 ton payload. Some of them even have dropped decks. Their empty weight is about 5K. I think Maddawg308 had one for sale in the classifieds.

jesusgatos

A M105A2 w/sides, bows, and cover will run you $500-$900 on GL. Unless you find a location that has a TON of them going at once.
So, if I could get my hands on an empty one that's got a little bit of rust in the stake pockets, would that be a good deal? I should be able to get at least that much back out of it if I decide not to use it, right?

If you are going to modify an M105 trailer, remember the height of the frame is about 33" off the ground and is somewhat narrow. Putting a vehicle it may make it somewhat top heavy and dangerous. How about looking for an M1061 trailer? They're 14' long and have a 5 ton payload. Some of them even have dropped decks. Their empty weight is about 5K. I think Maddawg308 had one for sale in the classifieds.
That's a good point about the width. I was thinking that I could convert it to a dually to get a little more stability. Yes? No? An M105 weighs about 2500lbs, right? And the bed weighs what, 800lbs? So if I replaced the bed with a large aluminum box off something like a moving van, that sounds like it might work pretty well for me. Not really stuck on this idea, but it's looking like one of my better options right now.

Mike_Pop

You might want to consider an M200A1 generator trailer. It's got a lower frame than the M105 and comes with dual wheels. If you are just putting a box on it, it would be fine. But I wouldn't put a vehicle on an M200A1 or an M105. I mounted a Unimog radio box on an M105 and it was top heavy until I moved the axle back 18". If I were to do it again, I would use the M200A1 trailer frame since it does sit lower than the M105.

Attachments

jesusgatos

I think the guy that sold me this Deuce had one of those generator trailers, but the frame looked pretty narrow. Do you know how it compares, dimension-wise, to the M105?

It would be nice if I could haul my truck in it once in a while, but it's not a deal-breaker if that doesn't work for one reason or another. I can just flat-tow it or use another flatbed trailer.

Mike_Pop

The M200A1 frame is about the same width as the M105. Another option is the M353 generator trailer which has a drop axle. If I recall, the M353 has a wider frame.

Attachments

jesusgatos

There are a couple of M353 trailers up at Ft. Lewis that are on GL right now. I think I'll try to buy one of those unless something else comes up before those auctions end. Thanks for all the input, and please keep it coming.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The hight of the deck on a 105 trailer will make it rough for loading and unloading bikes.
Even with long ramps you have the drive up them with nothing to put your feet on while climbing the ramp.
They are not that big either. Two dirt bikes and some tools and extra stuff would fill it up quick.
I would put a Reese hitch below the pintle and pull a low strung trailer that suits your needs. As long as it was not too heavy brakes would not be an issue since the deuce has decent braking power.
Rig up a wiring harness and replace the 12 volt bulbs with 24's and roll.
Just my rambling thoughts for what they're worth.

jesusgatos

I was only talking about using the frame of a 105, stretching it, and then setting a bigger box on top of it. Deck height is only something I'm concerned about to the extent that it affects handling. Loading isn't going to be much worse than any of our other trucks. Hah. I'm definitely going to add a 2" receiver so I CAN hook up to regular junk, but I want the primary trailer I haul to be robust enough that I don't have to worry about whether I can take it places I'm (very) likely to go in my Deuce. I think that starting with and being able to set the box a little lower and then cutting wheelwells into it is going to be my best bet.

burly chassis
+
lightweight box
=
good idea

No?

beck

plenty of 105's

Buying a M105 chassis should be easy with all the guys using the beds for bobbed deuces. I just bought a super nice 105 to use the bed. I planned to sell the complete chassis locally. I'm in a farming community and thought the farmers could use it for something. I'm half way across the country from you so it isn't of any use to you.