• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need an enclosed trailer to tow behind my Deuce

jesusgatos

Thanks for all the interest guys. I have been meaning to start a build thread, but I'm THRASHING to get this done. I'm spending just about all day every day working on this project. I've been spending most nights researching and reading a lot of stuff on here and some other sites (more related to campers and motorhomes and stuff), and if I'm not on the phone through the mornings ordering parts, then I'm probably out running errands and picking up stuff. It seems like I don't even have enough time in the afternoons to get any actual work done! But I am documenting everything that I'm doing pretty thoroughly for a series of articles that will be published in 8 Lug magazine, and I will share a lot more details with everyone at some point. I promise. I even have SolidWorks Blueprints for the trailer box conversion and the M109 floorplan that I'll be posting on my website. I've just got to find the time...

I paid $170 for mine with racks, bows and cover.:-D
Yeah, that sounds a little high. I only paid $260 (305 with fees) for my M353 and it was in pretty great shape. The other one (they only had two) was a little bit rougher, but I wish I would have bought that one too.

jesusgatos

Well, now that I'm on the road (living in the M109 and towing the trailer), I'm realizing that this isn't exactly what I need. It's too big (I extended the tongue about 30" and the uhaul box hangs off the back a bit). I just don't need this much room. I'd rather have something smaller, and a bit more maneuverable.

Now I'm thinking that I might be better off getting something like an M105 and either putting some type of shelter in it, or enclosing it myself. Length-wise, I just need something that I can fit dirt bikes inside (about 8ft long). So if there's a shelter that's fills the whole volume of the M105, that would be perfect. I don't really need it to be insulated though, and I'm wondering if I might be better off building a simple sheetmetal enclosure on top of the M105 rails. That would save a LOT of weight, give me something close to a full-width opening at the rear, and would maximize the interior volume.

You guys gave me such good advice last time, I'm appealing to you again. Tell me what's out there that I ought to take a look at.

frodobaggins

So if there's a shelter that's fills the whole volume of the M105, that would be perfect. I don't really need it to be insulated though, and I'm wondering if I might be better off building a simple sheetmetal enclosure on top of the M105 rails.

A CBC would fit the bill, but it's a bit pricey.

I would say build a lightly framed sheetmetal top for it.

jesusgatos

What? It's just a creepy kitty. Started using it on another forum a while ago because my buddies were goofing with me. They were giving me stupid avatars because I didn't post one for myself, so I chose this one and it kinda stuck.

jesusgatos

Yeah, this uhaul trailer I've built isn't working out for me, but I'm pretty sure I'll keep it to build something else out of. Gotta love that drop-frame and torsion axle setup. What's the designation for those tow-dollies anyway? Just saw one for the first time (picture) earlier today while I was researching shelters.

jesusgatos

I'm leaning towards making an enclosure for an M105 myself, but are there any shelters I should take a look at? What's the deal with that one I posted? Just don't want to waste a bunch of time/money reinventing the wheel if there's already something out there that might meet my needs.

jesusgatos

Here's a pic of the trailer right after I set the uhaul box on top of it. It's at full-lock, and the cabover just barely clears the back of the M109 box, but I'm going to cut a foot off the front of it and re-rivet the front cap back on. All in all, I'm really happy with the way it's turning out. It's still small enough that I can take it places where a motorhome and trailer should never go, and it's just big enough that I can fit all my tools and dirt bikes and stuff in it.

Anybody want to buy this trailer? I think I'm going to build something a little bit smaller. Would like to get $1000 for it (have over $1200 into it, not counting my time). Trailer is in CA right now (95037).

jesusgatos

I ended up buying an M103A3 trailer from Brad up in WA. I think this is going to be a lot better platform for me to build-on. It'll end up being a little bit smaller than my M353 uhaul trailer and it has a lot more ground clearance, so I should be able to take it more places.

I've spent the last few days taking measurements and designing a custom enclosure for it. The plan is to mount it to the deck using the stake pockets, so I can remove the enclosure (using my towbar A-frame hoist). Then I'll have a flatbed trailer and a shed. This is something that I'll probably only do when I'm setting up camp somewhere for an extended period of time, or when I have a specific need for a flatbed trailer, but I like the idea of having the option.

This is what I've got so far.
The red tubing is 2 x 2" x .120-wall.
The yellow tubing is 1 x 2" x .120-wall.
The blue tubing is 1 x 2" x .090-wall.
The pink tubing is 1.25" round x .120-wall.

SolidWorks tells me that this combination of tubing should weigh about 623lbs. Plus, it's going to have a small door on the front right side for easy access, as well as a fold-down rear door / ramp. I'm guessing that the whole enclosure will weigh-in at about 800-900lbs. Definitely under 1000lbs, which should put me at about 2,600-2,700lbs (the bare trailer weighs about 1,600lbs). The M353 uhaul trailer weighs 4000lbs, so this is going ot end up being quite a bit lighter.

Attachments

jesusgatos

I haven't decided what type of assist-mechanism I'm going to use on the rear door, but I'm leaning towards something like a torsion-type garage door spring. I do know that I want to be able to lock the door into position when it's horizontal, so I can use it as an extension of the trailer deck.

I'm going to build-in some fold-down workbenches, and I've got a spare tire carrier from a 5-ton tractor that I'm going to mount on the tongue in front of the box.

I think I'm going to leave it windowless, but I've got two Fantastic Vents that I'm going to install in the roof for ventilation.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about a generator mount and enclosure yet, mostly because I don't know what generator I'm going to be using. But the trailer is definitely going to have it's own power supply and battery bank.

I'm also going to use it to carry additional fuel and water, so it should be able to serve as a self-contained basecamp when/if I ever want to drop it somewhere.