• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I Need Help on Transportation

McVeyMac

I have recently been the high bidder on an M34A2C that other than missing two headlamps, appears to be clean as a whistle. The link is as follows: http://web.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=895091

I thought that I would get the truck titled, registered and road worthy to drive it the 399 miles from Write-Patterson AFB Ohio to Port Matilda, PA (Central PA). I would, as a last resort, rely on transporting the truck via commercial carrier only if I was unable to get the truck road worthy.

I have now come up against several kinks in the plan above. First, the site manager will not allow any maintenance on the DRMO site period. I think I have a work around for this problem by towing the truck outside the gate in order to install fluids and batteries and evaluate road worthiness. The bigger problem is a direct result of GL not providing SF-97 titling documentation. In order to get the truck titled in PA, I will need a court order to present to PennDot. Then they will title it, and then and only then can I register it. The problem is that it can take up to two months for the judge to issue the court order, depending on his work load. This will put the truck in an abandon classification as far as GL is concerned. I have gotten a quote from a commercial carrier, and it is outrageously high.

The bid I placed on the truck was based on a high probability of getting it road worthy and driving it home with only a small probability of having to haul it. The SF-97 issue is forcing me to haul the vehicle.

Help!!!!! Do any of you members live in either Ohio or PA and have the ability to trailer a Deuce??????? Then haul it 399 mile according to MapQuest?????? Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. I have to find a way to accomplish this for less money than the commercial carrier is charging, or my wife will have me burried in some national cemetery other than Arlington as Arlington is getting full. I do not have a CDL, so renting a trailer and hauling it with my other deuce is not an option because the combined weight exceeds 26,000 lb.

If you can help, please email me with a number I can call you.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whats the status on the EUC? Nothing moves without the EUC being completed. I'll be up in the area come August and might be able to get it off GL property for you.

NEIOWA

Nothing about "no maintenance" is specified in the bid package.

Roll in, fuel up (take your time), check the fluids (take your time), (somewhere in here the "site mrg" will have wandered of for a nap/donuts), install batteries, then install new headlight. See if it will start. Who cares what the highschool drop out "site mgr" blathering. You're not changing out mechanical components. Get there about 20 minute before he/they lunch time.

Park in somewhere outside gov liq. On post just one more duece who's going to worry about it? Or find a spot off post. On a Sunday morning drive it home. All the cops will be in bed. Stick to secondary roads. Not worth getting your shorts in a knot. I've drivin seveal DOD tranfer trucks and pulled several trailers home. No plates on any. OD green what cop is going to bother you. Now the stuff I pickup are going to my local fire dept (no cop is going to worry about it/bother me). Has been limited to Iowa, Il, Wi, Ne, Co. Perhaps cops are total perckerheads in Oh, Pa but I doubt it.

rizzo

NEIOWA said:
Nothing about "no maintenance" is specified in the bid package.

Roll in, fuel up (take your time), check the fluids (take your time), (somewhere in here the "site mrg" will have wandered of for a nap/donuts), install batteries, then install new headlight. See if it will start. Who cares what the highschool drop out "site mgr" blathering. You're not changing out mechanical components. Get there about 20 minute before he/they lunch time.

Park in somewhere outside gov liq. On post just one more duece who's going to worry about it? Or find a spot off post. On a Sunday morning drive it home. All the cops will be in bed. Stick to secondary roads. Not worth getting your shorts in a knot. I've drivin seveal DOD tranfer trucks and pulled several trailers home. No plates on any. OD green what cop is going to bother you. Now the stuff I pickup are going to my local fire dept (no cop is going to worry about it/bother me). Has been limited to Iowa, Il, Wi, Ne, Co. Perhaps cops are total perckerheads in Oh, Pa but I doubt it.
that is what I would do. In michigan you can drive with no plates if you just purchased the vehicle.

McVeyMac

Re: RE: I Need Help on Transportation

Recovry4x4 said:
Whats the status on the EUC? Nothing moves without the EUC being completed. I'll be up in the area come August and might be able to get it off GL property for you.
Ken

I have the EUC cleared, and the paid invoice in hand.

Walt

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: I Need Help on Transportation

I'd call GL, ask about the "no maint" policy.. If they say it is BS, make sure you get the name of the guy, and if the peckerhead manager gives you problems, whip out the cell phone, call the GL guy, and have him speak to the peckerhead.... ;)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: I Need Help on Transportation

Dang! I was going to say if it waits until late August I could get it off the property and work with you on getting it running but I won't be up there until Aug 21 or so. Elohim1 has a deuce and is only 50 miles or so away but I don't know if he has a towbar or even available to help. Just curious, what was the estimate in having it towed/trucked?

mangus580

NEIOWA said:
On a Sunday morning drive it home. All the cops will be in bed. Stick to secondary roads. Not worth getting your shorts in a knot. I've drivin seveal DOD tranfer trucks and pulled several trailers home. No plates on any. OD green what cop is going to bother you. Now the stuff I pickup are going to my local fire dept (no cop is going to worry about it/bother me). Has been limited to Iowa, Il, Wi, Ne, Co. Perhaps cops are total perckerheads in Oh, Pa but I doubt it.

By all means, put INSURANCE on the truck before you do this though......

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Walt, did you say you have another deuce? Is it a multifuel duece? If so you need to be shopping for a towbar. towing a deuce on a towbar with another deuce isn't all that difficult.

Attachments

bozozimbo

Djfreema said:
In Ca you can get a one day moving permit for vehicles and traileers (about $50). I'll bet your DMV offers the same thing.

I picked up my duece at the El Toro Marine base.....no tags......insurance of course and drove it 285 miles to Las Vegas. Almost all of it on Calif freeways. The cops that drove by me.....to a man......waved or gave the thumbs up.
Go for it.

jimbo

McVeyMac

Re: RE: Re: RE: I Need Help on Transportation

Recovry4x4 said:
Dang! I was going to say if it waits until late August I could get it off the property and work with you on getting it running but I won't be up there until Aug 21 or so. Elohim1 has a deuce and is only 50 miles or so away but I don't know if he has a towbar or even available to help. Just curious, what was the estimate in having it towed/trucked?
Ken,

Due to scheduling conflics and my wanting to give the court order route a try, August 21st or so might work out. The GL site takes appointments for Mondays and Thursdays. Monday is the 21st. I could travel in Sunday night with my buds in tow as well. The only problem that I see is that if I cannot get the court order by this time, then I am looking at either slapping an invalid tag on this deuce from my other deuce, or I'm looking at driving it with nothing but insurance. I'm not sure which of these two options would be better.

Walt

McVeyMac

Recovry4x4 said:
Walt, did you say you have another deuce? Is it a multifuel duece? If so you need to be shopping for a towbar. towing a deuce on a towbar with another deuce isn't all that difficult.
Ken,

The problem I have with your suggestion is that the combined weight of the 2 deuces will exceed 26,000 lbs. This is the cutoff for a CDL in PA which I do not have. Though I could look into getting it by late August.

Walt

mangus580

Are both trucks winch trucks? You will be soooo close to 26k, I wouldnt worry about it :) Just take the outer duals off the towed truck, and toss them in a chase vehicle ;-)

N1265

Most local cops in Ohio wont give you a problem, They probibly wont even think of pulling you over.

However the Ohio State Patrol are well noted throught the universe for being A** H****

The only time they give a guy a break is if it is there last hour on duty before retirement ! ( and then its a 50 / 50 shot ! ) and I would not be suprised if a few of them know that people will try to "sneek" a truck out of the DRMO.

I would just have another member tow you to the PA line ( or at least 50 miles or so away from the base ) then drive the truck home from there....

Also , I live just south of Toledo Oh,( about 2 hrs north of the base) and REAL close to the Ohio Turnpike, If you can get the truck here you can keep it in the yard untill you can get it legal and road worthy .

McVeyMac

N1265,

Thank you very much for your offer, and thank you to all who have contributed. I still have not discerned the optimum plan yet, but I will keep you posted. I appreciate all of your help.

Walt

mangus580

Ok, so that gives you 13,500 and 12,800 (I think) Plus fuel, and 'crew'. I wonder how much 4 9.00x20's weigh. As well as anything else that might be easily removed from the 'new' truck (or old one for that matter).

If you just went and grabbed it, you would be within 1000 pounds of the limit.

What about towing it off the base with your current deuce, and getting it someplace as a staging area, so you can get it ready to drive? Maybe there is a member who has some space between the base and you that can provide assistance?

McVeyMac

Mike,

The Site Manager did say that there is a suitable area outside of the fence where I could add fluids; batteries etc. and determine road worthiness. But I still have the problem of driving it home if I do not have it titled. The title is the sticky wicket here. So I was looking for an affordable approach to transport it if I cannot have it titled in time for GL to consider it abandoned.

Walt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks