• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I Needed Assistance, Fifth wheel trailer pickup Ft Polk Next Week!

ke5eua

Yeah I've pulled stuff with a dolly before and it is no fun without brakes!

I just listed on uship to see what I can get there. I'm still working on my 932 but I need a fan clutch assembly. Bearings are shot in the one I have. If I can get one in the next couple days and get it installed I may be able to make the run myself. Long run from South MS but it can be done!
Get with timntrucks or goldeneagle and see if they can at least get it and store it for you.

Ben, as I figured jeep doesn't have a bobtail to move it. I don't have golden eagles number but just pm him and see if he might be able to help out. Other option would be fuzzy, but like fuzzy and me we are in central texas so it would be a drive just to get to the trailer.

There is Juan in New Orleans but as far as I know he only has the cargo. Best best would either be CSM Davis out of hattiesbug or golden eagle.
Thanks. I'm going to hit CSM up for a fan clutch and may be able to get. Mine going

Jeep I have it set up for Tuesday at 100 right now with GL but I can change it again if we can work something out. My buddy in Ragley said I can store it there but if you can just get it off post I'll figure out the rest.

Still working on a couple deals to move the trailer. Uship is not real helpful. Most on there want to have it loaded and have a ramp or dock to unload. Jeep sinker working on his truck and my compadre in Ragley working on a civi tractor. I did find a bearing through my local NAPA to start repairing my fan clutch. The replacement clutch assemblies are like hens teeth to find and when I did find them they are high as a cats butt! Thank to Jeff Davis for his help and info about not being able to interchange A1 and A2 clutch parts.

ke5eua

Uship isn't going to be real helpful as I believe I was the only one to offer military tow away with my 818.

It can be pulled with a civi tractor, just need tow lights.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You act like that's a problem.

View attachment 546158
Yeah I picked it up from the admin on here and I was in his area in the 450 so I just hooked it up. Anyone with a 5th wheel can technically get it, just needs to be a flatbed as it won't clear a truck bed like a camping trailer does.

It pulled great, especially after I flipped the 5th wheel around to put the pin weight closer to the wheel. Didn't have brakes but as long as you are aware and drive accordingly it it's that big of a deal.

I tried to find a picture of when I brought it to Texas, had a S250 shelter on the back of the truck and a trailer bed on the tongue of the 750 trailer. Was defiantly a sight, and a lot of weight.

I wish you the best in the recovery.
I just delivered a truck to FL. yesterday, as I headed south I kept noticing all the pick ups, ect. pulling HEAVY trailers with there headlights aiming at the sky, this got me thinking about this post, PULLING the trailer without brakes is not that big of a deal, stopping it is another story, even "being aware" is NOT a help when the O CHIT stopping event HAPPENS, in best case just some bent metal, with even a DAMP road serface, there is a very good chance that the pulling truck to will try to stop, the non braked HEAVY trailer WILL tend to want to swap ends, swinging around, causing a real cluster f, never mind the SECOND trailer hooked behind.
So to sum this up, to say this IDEA was NOT the SMARTEST is a major understatement. The reason you got away with this has NOTHING to do with skill, just that you had a VERY LUCKY day and GOD was your copilot. One of the bad things about this is that OTHERS see this, see that you got away with it, and themselves do it, but may not be as lucky as you, Another thing is that if a O CHIT/CLUSER F does happen, soccer mom does get tied up by the CLUSTER, IT WILL look real bad on the hobby and the HOBBIEST (US)

Last edited:

ke5eua

I just delivered a truck to FL. yesterday, as I headed south I kept noticing all the pick ups, ect. pulling HEAVY trailers with there headlights aiming at the sky, this got me thinking about this post, PULLING the trailer without brakes is not that big of a deal, stopping it is another story, even "being aware" is NOT a help when the O CHIT stopping event HAPPENS, in best case just some bent metal, with even a DAMP road serface, there is a very good chance that the pulling truck to will try to stop, the non braked HEAVY trailer WILL tend to want to swap ends, swinging around, causing a real cluster f, never mind the SECOND trailer hooked behind.
So to sum this up, to say this IDEA was NOT the SMARTEST is a major understatement. The reason you got away with this has NOTHING to do with skill, just that you had a VERY LUCKY day and GOD was your copilot. One of the bad things about this is that OTHERS see this, see that you got away with it, and themselves do it, but may not be as lucky as you, Another thing is that if a O CHIT/CLUSER F does happen, soccer mom does get tied up by the CLUSTER, IT WILL look real bad on the hobby and the HOBBIEST (US)
I had to panic stop twice doing 60 and I can assure you the brakes on that 450 had more than enough to stop the entire setup.

I attribute it more to a skill set than luck.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is also illegal to pull a trailer that size without brakes.

Thanks Jeep. I have mine up and running again. Headed your way tomorrow morning so keep your ears on, I may end a tow! I have my tow bar strapped on the back just in case. I ran it around all weekend after repairing the fan clutch and it runs like a charm. Fingers crossed and prayers going up for a safe trip. Thanks to all who responded with ideas and help!

Road trip to Ft Polk tomorrow

Well after much blood, sweat and tears I have my 939A2 up and running again and will be headed to Ft Polk tomorrow to retrieve my 447 shop trailer. Thanks to everyone offering up ideas and offers of assistance. Just keep your ears on for the next couple days as I make my way across I-10 from the Mississippi Coast to Lake Charles and the. Up LA 171. I am rendezvousing with a compadre in Ragley, LA to help me get it off post and back to his place for an overnight safety stop. (Much needed after 8 hours bob tailing across LA roads!)

If anyone has anything I can pick up while at Polk hit me up and I'll see what I can do to help out.

Thanks again to all the SteelSoldiers who helped!