• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I think I want a wrecker

midcounty

hmmm???!!??? :lol: I like those early Chevy cars ( I have a 69 Camaro)
Got a '67 Chevelle street rod I haven't driven in 2 years. It has a 6 point cage, stock frame other then that, 700hp BBC, and all sorts of other goodies. I thought about puting it up for sale for 13k. Needs a lil body work and a fresh paint job. Just throwing that out there :razz:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have half a wrecker and couldn't imagine life without it. Mine is an M108A2 and weighs half as much as a 5 tonner and I can lift most of the parts on it. Multifuel and is running on WMO very cheaply.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Being a member of the "Used to Own A Wrecker Club" let me wade in.

I have loved M816's and their variants since I was in the Army back in the 70's.

My 816 was a money pit from the word go...my fault since I knew it had been sitting a long time down in south MS.

Insurance and tags kicked my butt even though I had them under a farm policy.

They are loud and ride like an oxcart......and manuver like the Queen Mary.

That being said if finances allowed it I would prob get another one....my choice would be a M819 or M246 (the ones with the 5th wheel in place of the rear winch). The crane is far more useful than using the wrecker as a wrecker.

Your milage may vary.

hoopsoft

You just don't think you need one until you have it, I miss mine all the time. It was more of a crane than a wrecker for me also. I think I might want a m819 too the boom extended further even though I think they were manual.

midcounty

Anyone know what wreckers are bringing lately? What would be a bargain price that would make it easy to get my money back if I decided I didn't like it?

mcmullag

wrecker price

Watching GL, they seem lately to go for 10 to 12 k rather consistently.
I did see a nice one go for 8 k in the last few months,
I about cried. Even 10 k seems crazy low for some of the nice
ones that come thru GL.

steelandcanvas

Watching GL, they seem lately to go for 10 to 12 k rather consistently.
I did see a nice one go for 8 k in the last few months,
I about cried. Even 10 k seems crazy low for some of the nice
ones that come thru GL.
Look real close Glen, alot of them are missing the spades, tree, towbar, sheaves, etc. A Guy could be into one thousands of dollars to get it complete. Where was the one that went for $8K? :drool:

AMGeneral

Hmmm,i guess I can comment on this,

Having owned 3 now(sold 2) I can confidently say,I don't know what I would do without one,the do have their failings at times

The 816 was heavy and woefully underpowered for highway use,although I probably logged more miles on it than any other MV I've ever owned,all over the east coast!! But just the ticket for moving stuff by yourself around the yard.

My current M62A1 has better power and is quieter to operate,but is difficult to get parts for the wrecker bed,it will haul butt over the road,and will lift 30K with no problems.

My M553 GOER wrecker was at best,a yard ornament while I owned it,Papabear and the CAMO group have done more to it than I ever did,but that's a one of a kind wrecker,it belongs in a museum.

All in all,i wouldn't mind having another M62 or M62A1 just for the simple reason,if 1 wrecker is good,surely 2 would be better!!

5tonpuller

I have half a wrecker and couldn't imagine life without it. Mine is an M108A2 and weighs half as much as a 5 tonner and I can lift most of the parts on it. Multifuel and is running on WMO very cheaply.
I do the same. If I sold it my son would disown me. The wife would divorce me. Next doors kids would ?? I could only imagine. I think I will keep it. Maybe get aother one just to keep the peace.