• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I towed a big boat with my m1009, that's the most you've towed?

2deuce

With a M1009 I think the towing limit would come from its short wheelbase more than anything else. Gearing, trans cooler, hitch all have an effect, but the short wheelbase, speed, and brakes are what will affect your safety. I towed another M1009 with my M1009 and a military tow bar, over 40mph it felt like the tail wanted to wag the dog. Stay away from those 6% downgrades too!

Bobert

I've bent my hitch and broke most of the bolts holding it together going up a steep hill. But It drug a pickup with wheels locked up on pavement in low range chained to the D rings.

mistaken1

I towed a M101A2 with a MEP002A in it home on a recovery. I thought the truck handled quite well. It was willing to go faster than I was. And more importantly it stopped smoothly and uneventfully (then again I strapped the generator down to keep it from moving).

I believe it was the surge brake that made all the difference.

I am thinking of using the 1009 to recover an M105A2 ...... but the lack of tralier brakes concerns me.

Perhaps the '97 Expedition would be a better choice than the 1009.

wikallen

hope that's not a 6.0L, my cousin had one and said it ended up being junk - dead before 90k, I don't think Ford even has that engine any more to date.

My cousin's friend's uncle's boss's brother said they are good. j/k

The 6.0 had it's issues at first, but builds after September 03 were updated. They are a good powerful and quiet diesel. I don't own one, as my 7.3 only has 317k on it. Too low of mileage to get rid of it yet.

4trans

Maybe the tow rating is lower cause during R&D testing they bent the frame rails at the firewall and had to load it on a trailer and take it to the nearest Chevy dealer and have the rails replaced

CUCV85

quote=4trans;599717]Maybe the tow rating is lower cause during R&D testing they bent the frame rails at the firewall and had to load it on a trailer and take it to the nearest Chevy dealer and have the rails replaced[/quote]

Good one...
anyone have anything to add on new Ford 6.4 L just came out with?
Is the 6.0 L gone or still an option?
I wonder why they changed so quickly!?
Morons should have never done away with 7.3 :deadhorse:
I never owned one but heard only positive things.
Other than if your a fireman don't get a diesel!
Turbo's are not for you, you can not turn key and floor it.
Stick to a gasser for your calls...

Cummins 5.9 IN LINE 6 was out for over 20 years [thumbzup]
just changed to computer and 24 valves.
I don't know why they went to a 6.7?
Must be a HUGE demand for more HP
I had a 97' 12 valve and a 01' 24 valve awesome engines
Longevity where similar to Big Rig Engines

Last edited:

motormayhem

I towed a trailer of tools and a bobcat. I probably about 2,000lbs. Is everyone else's really slow off the line with a trailer? once it gets above like 1300rpm it starts to go at a decent acceleration but that first launch is real slow.

Attachments

wkbrdngsnw

They are slow to launch empty, and even slower with a trailer. The diesels got low stall converters so your launching at around 1000 instead of 15-1800 rpm for a gasser. Its having to pull through it up to its power band instead of slipping up to it. That doesn't work too well without the gears to back it up and the 1009's clearly don't have the gear.

Xs10tial

22' Boat: 7,000#
29' Travel Trailer: 9,000# (loaded) with weight distribution hitch

I don't tow from the pintle, I have class V receiver welded to my frame.

Attachments

CycleJay

Hi,

With all this negative talk about the M1009 not being able to tow this or that safely.

My M1009 is stock, with the stock pintle, so what can I tow with it safely?
What can be the max weight of something being towed, etc?

I would like to know, so in case I want/need to tow anything in the future.

Thank you,

CJ

shkira

more towing

I have have had very good results with my 1009. I don't tow regularlly, and generally use the CUCV as my daily driver. But knowing that I move every few years I rely on the CUCV when we relocate. I have guages installed so that I can watch my oil, water, and tranny temps. I also have the biggest tranny cooler installed in addition to the factory cooler. I added a pusher fan next to the tranny cooler. I have a custom modified reciever installed that is probably class IV. When I do tow I tow a loaded CUCV with around 7K behind me with surge brakes. I have logged probably 2k combined miles and never had any issues. I am careful though and try to not go over 65mph (although I have barreled down hills over 75). It has plenty more power to go faster but I don't push it so longer as I am on flats. If I hit hills I build up speed going down and use the energy to keep my speed up. As a NA engine it doesn't manage the hills well but it is manageable if you are patient. I have been fortunate as I have not towed in the heat of the summer, but have needed to travel at the end of summer when it is cooling down when it is still in the low 90s. Under these conditions with my set up I haven't hit over 180 degrees on the tranny or water temps. Mind you this is all predominately on the highway. While the surge brakes have been adequete my only remaining addition I would like to add would be an electronic brake controller, but I don't have anything on a trailer to connect to use so I haven't gotten to this project.

So bottomline is if your truck is in good running shape, you set it up for the purpose, and you take it easy you can tow comfortably.

Keith_J

With a M1009 I think the towing limit would come from its short wheelbase more than anything else. Gearing, trans cooler, hitch all have an effect, but the short wheelbase, speed, and brakes are what will affect your safety. I towed another M1009 with my M1009 and a military tow bar, over 40mph it felt like the tail wanted to wag the dog. Stay away from those 6% downgrades too!

The key here, the short wheelbase makes rear towing iffy. We towed my M1031 SECM from Ft. McCoy WI to Central TX behind a 2005 F250 Superduty 4X4 that has longer wheelbase. Flat towed, using a medium tow bar. Sure, we felt the weight in braking and acceleration. No issues with load wagging the towing vehicle, the tow bar joints were tight (used bushings to adapt 3/4 inch diameter pins to the 1 inch holes).

The bumper mount of a 1009 is far stronger than needed for ACCELERATION. Braking is another issue. The stock pintle was designed for a 3/4 ton trailer, 4000 pounds at the most. The pintle is over-designed for off-road use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks