• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I want a different engine and transmission for my M135?

steelandcanvas

Hold up, hold up. Did you just say rare? I thought these things were pretty common... In that case, I should just rebuild the original engine right? It's in terrible shape but can be rebuilt.
You might be getting some of the different models confused. I don't know the difference between "fairly rare" and "super rare", and I don't have any numbers that state how many are left. Here's a link to help you familiarize yourself with the M35 family of vehicles.
Military Vehicle Owners Guide
I see absolutely no reason a competent engine rebuilder could not rebuild that engine. But, as said before, it's yours, you do what you want with it. Alot of us just like to see these trucks restored.

Like a boss

Considering it is even moderately rare, I want to keep it original. My brother has a 1939 Studebaker Champion with SUICIDE DOORS. Those are very hard to find and his is 99% original. Now that I know this truck isn't very common, I'll just have the engine rebuilt, restore the interior, get it repainted, and any other engine work that might need to be done. Keep it original. Now, a better question. Where can I get a canvas?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For clarification here.
I believe the poster above was talking about the rarity of a M35 Gasser and was not refererring to the still somewhat common M135/M211 series GMC's

despite my 502 comment above, I like my MV's fairly original, how you like yours is your biz.

Like a boss

Thinking about this more, it is old, you don't see a lot of them on the road, I'll keep it original. There's still the problem of the canvas though. Where can I get one of those...?

M1031CMT

The correct cover for the time period would be one made from actual canvas, but I would suggest one of the newer vinyl ones (99% of people will not know the difference) as they are lighter (canvas is darn heavy) and much easier to find. Pretty much any cover from a current M35 will fit on it. The boxes are a standard size. I would check the classified section here on SS for a start. Not sure about who would have one for sale in your area though. Maybe look up a local MV seller, as they should have a few. That way it would help save on shipping costs.

Vintage iron

Do what you want with it. Don't listen to the dooms day profits. I have been building custom cars, motorcycles and trucks for years. Nicely done custom always beats boring originals any day! If you hot rod it just use your head and Most of all have fun!

If you lived closer I could put in anything drive train combo you wanted.

Like a boss

You guys get ONE pic. With the weather what it is(as you can see, there's snow on it), and me being lazy today, I wan't going to pull it out to get some better pics. Hopefully this will satisfy you guys for now.

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys get ONE pic. With the weather what it is(as you can see, there's snow on it), and me being lazy today, I wan't going to pull it out to get some better pics. Hopefully this will satisfy you guys for now.
M135 or 211 definetely a old GMC. With pictures we can answer more of your questions , because then we know what you have and are asking about.

M1031CMT

Yup that is the older M135/M211 series of trucks. All of them originally came with a gmc gasser engine. It isn't super strong, but it will still get you around no problem. Parts are fairly easy to find for it if needed.

She looks pretty good from that one picture.

Like a boss

Yup that is the older M135/M211 series of trucks. All of them originally came with a gmc gasser engine. It isn't super strong, but it will still get you around no problem. Parts are fairly easy to find for it if needed.

She looks pretty good from that one picture.
Yeah, well you've only seen the front end. The interior is crap, the paint is crap, there's no cover, the engine's in terrible shape... I could go on for a while. It needs monumental amounts of work.

F18hornetM

You could modify a 2x4, or anything else for that matter, but I bet your dad would like it original. Or maybe not. If your doing it for him, I'd feel it out what he would want. but again, its your project.. still looks cool.
Makes a great project truck, doubt you would have any problem seeling it. As far as the engine goes, what is exactely terriable shape? like whats wrong with it?

Like a boss

You could modify a 2x4, or anything else for that matter, but I bet your dad would like it original. Or maybe not. If your doing it for him, I'd feel it out what he would want. but again, its your project.. still looks cool.
Makes a great project truck, doubt you would have any problem seeling it. As far as the engine goes, what is exactely terriable shape? like whats wrong with it?
It leaks anti freeze. It barely runs. I haven't really messed around with it too much to find out more. What I've said is what I know. What I do know is that I can take it down to Denver and have it rebuilt for less than $1000. That would be the cheap option.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It leaks anti freeze. It barely runs. I haven't really messed around with it too much to find out more. What I've said is what I know. What I do know is that I can take it down to Denver and have it rebuilt for less than $1000. That would be the cheap option.
I would go with a engine rebuild , find a cover and clean up the interior . The drivetrain is a solid design , but one upgrade you may want to consider is a REB shifter . Any motor trany changes you have to consider that there is a linkage to the transfer case to shift it into reverse along with the transmission.

Here is a link to the TM's if haven't yet download them and enjoy the reading , you will need them.
M135-211 Series TMs

F18hornetM

Leaks and barely runs might be a ok thing..blown up would be a bad thing. If its been sittin, and i imagine it has, I am positive something will leak. may just try getting it running. May not even need overhauling. A coolant leak could be anything as could running bad. i would get your brother to do a little diagnostic work before condeming to being rebuilt. He could start with a compression check, and since its running, even rough, can check oil pressure.. I am not familar with this engine, others here are, but most old motors are pretty tough. maybe not the fastest or most powerful, but just plain tough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks