• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I want a different engine and transmission for my M135?

F18hornetM

I would go with a engine rebuild , find a cover and clean up the interior . The drivetrain is a solid design , but one upgrade you may want to consider is a REB shifter . Any motor trany changes you have to consider that there is a linkage to the transfer case to shift it into reverse along with the transmission.

Here is a link to the TM's if haven't yet download them and enjoy the reading , you will need them.
M135-211 Series TMs
Thats pretty wild about the transfer case, I had no idea it had to be shifted as well.

Gunfreak25

Good heavens, that is YOUR truck and you do what YOU want to do with it. This is not the G503 forum. Great group of guys, but if you use the color paint be prepared for a flogging. Some of those guys should have been dairy farmers, they have way too many cows.

From the factory all G749 trucks were rated at 58mph with a governed RPM of 3350-/+50. This was very decent for 1940's technology. The trucks themselves with a different running gear and modern tires are good for 75mph which is supported by having spoken many times with Tom at Alfa Heaven who has owned and repowered over 100 GMC's since 1970.

If you are on a budget and want a diesel motor, a 6.2 is hard to beat. Get yourself a nice HMMWV motor off a member here, or just pick 3 or 4 of them up for $100 each from Government Liquidation. The HMMWV's all have stainless headers, they are 24V, open intake plenums, no emissions crap and the pumps on them are already turned up a little.

A Th400 works well and is very durable, but you WILL be limited to 45mph due to no OD and you are revving the engine much higher than necessary.

A 700r4 made after 1988+ will work even better. Lower 1st gear, overdrive and lockup converter make for very comfortable cruising at 65mph.

A 700r4 WITH a transfer case out of a 4x4 is the most versatile setup. The transfer insures you keep a low range gear and depending on the transfer some have a 2:72 low range. Remember the stock GMC transfer is 1 speed high range only with a permanent 16% underdrive.

For those about to bash either the 6.2 or the 700r4. Remember this. The reason the 6.2 FAILED in the HMMWV's was due to added weight from up armoring. The HMMWV's had a 21:1 final drive ratio in 1st gear which is simply NOT enough to get a 12,000lb truck moving with 150hp. Hence the reason for a high engine failure rate.

In an M211 which will weigh just under 13,000 with this setup, you will have a 44:1 high range ratio in 1st gear with a 120:1 low range. Making for some very light work on both the engine and transmission.

If your interested in this swap, I can make you a set of motor mounts and an air compressor mount to keep the GMC air compressor and well as show you how to rig up a simple linkage for operating the Transfer Case reverse shifter shaft rod. This is EASY stuff.

Last edited:

Like a boss

You guys can calm down with the "it's your truck, you do what you want with it" stuff. I understand what you're saying and I agree. My problem is I don't know much about my truck so I'm looking to more experienced people to give me advice on what I can or can't do with it and that is exactly what I got. Thank you to everyone who posted here. I've got a lot of ideas as to what to do with my M135. Plenty of suggestions, plenty of advice. =D

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your best bet is to download the TM's from the link I gave a couple posts back and start reading . Then you will understand what does what and why.As you familiarize yourself with it , it will all fall into place . From what we can see you have a good start that just needs some attention .

steelandcanvas

No dairy cows here.

Good grief, nobody is "having a cow", the forum is to express one's opinion for crying out loud. There are some that say modify, and there are others that say restore, but in the end it's the OP's decision, all we can do is give you the pros and cons of each. Nobody is telling the OP to do anything. If you are not already a Member, and would like to join, there is a family oriented Military Vehicle Collectors Club in Denver. I know of a few Guys (not me) that know this truck inside and out, and would be happy to advise, assist, etc. There is a link to our Club Website in my sig line. PM me if you'd like to know more.

M1031CMT

Pretty much what steelandcanvas said. The OP asked and people gave their opinions. No one is being made to do anything.

If you say you can get the engine rebuilt for less than $1000, that is a pretty decent price. It cost us nearly $1200 to get an M37 engine rebuilt around here.

We rebuilt several M135/M211 trucks over the years. Lots of fun to get the old girls running down the road again. Felt sorry to sell the last one, but we needed the space and money. As much as I like the newer M35 trucks, I still think the M135 trucks have a much better look. Plus they are easier to get behind the wheel for those with a bigger mid section :whistle:

Make sure you keep us up to date with what happens [thumbzup]

Gunfreak25

My comment was not aimed towards members of SS, but towards another board. Apologize if I came off so harshly, was not my intention.

FWIW, had my M211 came to me with the original powertrain it would have stayed original too.

Like a boss

Make sure you keep us up to date with what happens [thumbzup]
Just so you know, I won't start on the restoration at least until the weather gets better over here. Plus, with economy what it is, money's tight so I may not be able to afford it for a while now. Don't expect it anytime soon. My dad doesn't turn 60 for a year and a half. Had to plan early.

M1031CMT

Hey, that is okay. This thread will still be here when you do get to her.

Just glad you are doing something with her to keep her going. So many of these have gone to scrap over the years simply because of the price of scrap metal. We scrapped one a few years ago, but it was way beyond repair (the entire floor of the cab was gone, the engine was stripped and someone had opened the diffs years before). We had to get a crane to get her out of the farmers field. Really felt bad taking her apart. Though she did not go to waste as we took off every little part we could. Those parts helped put two other trucks on the road :wink:

saddamsnightmare

January 9th, 2012.

Like a Boss:

While it is your truck, many of the modifications suggested here above are,beyond the changing of the engine, the usual "Jack Leg: engineering as regards designing a brake system modification to the deuce. It wasn't designed to go past 45 normally, especially in the M35A1 and A2 series (and the A3 is not supposed to be driven faster then that), as it was a "Tactical" truck, not a road truck, they are two different beasts.
You may profit by splitting the system using -A3 components, but any home designed modifications subjects the the designer and truck owner to the potential for cancellation of their insurance should the system fail at any time. Should you survive the wreck, you probably won't have a legal leg to stand on. The conversion of M35A1 to A2 status is straight forward, but the truck's still not going to do 60, and with the brakes as they were designed in 1948, stopping under load is iffy. Increase the tire diameter, gain a few MPH, lose the torque that might just get you unstuck....
It may be you have the wrong truck for your need for speed, trade it in for a Unimog U1300L with Ultra High speed axles and you will have a better truck for your needs.....
Just a thought, take it for what it's worth, as I haven't seen any licensed engineers on here propsing to produce the upgrade compents and assume the liabilities thus created....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks