• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I wanted to pick your brains and see if you could help me with what could be a major

Lonesome715

I think I might be missing a spring. The assembly will relase but as I back up it hangs lose enough to grab the drum. A light tap with a hammer gets it to realse as well as simply pulling forward. It was only doing it as I tried to back up.

kbush

I just adjusted my parking brake using the TM a couple weeks ago. Very easy. Just follow the steps. Get yourself a set of feeler gauges and check the clearance of the shoes to the drum as the manual says. There's supposed to be a cotter key in the little hole drilled in the actuating arm. One end of the spring goes there. The other end in a bracket on the frame of the truck. My brake was WAY out of adjustment. It wasn't doing a bloody thing. Actually the outside shoe was allowed to move as it pleased and was gently rubbing as I was driving, the inside wasn't touching. If I remember right there's about 3 steps to the adjustment process. When I was done, and put the new release spring in, the lever in the cab snaps off with a little power and with .015 clearance between the shoes and the drum just as in the manual.

croftonaviation

I had the same problem. It was hard to accept that something as simple as a parking brake could cause that kind of problem. I ended up finding a broken spring in mine. Good luck.

mikew

I had the same problem with the parking brake binding on my sprag truck.

The parking brake was adjusted properly.

I solved the problem by doing the PM I'd been skipping.... a broke out the grease gun and gave all the zerks on the parking brake a pump or two of grease and the problem went away!

kbush

Judging by your pictures I think you're missing the release spring. A heavy black rubber bungee chord works as well or better than the actual spring you need. Buy the shortest one you can find and tie a knot in it. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find one short enough but I found a short heavy spring that took a lot of patience and pulling to get on but it works quite well. After I was all done I shot the drum with a little Rustoleum red primer and took the truck down the road and back. The paint is still there...

Kevin

Somemedic

Stop by a local truck stop and have a mechanic take a look. They usually have an assortment of springs that may work. Older mechanics dig our trucks and the spring cant be too much. Good luck

Lonesome715

I just climbed under my non-running deuce of the same year and make. It has both the springs but they are both broken. I think the smaller spring lebeled number four use to hook to that set screw. Is that true? I found a much larger and longer spring in my spring drawer and I am pretty certain I can make it work if I can find something to hook it to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks