• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I won at Auction.... Next steps

Gamble

Hello All,

I was fortunate enough to win at the auction and will be the proud owner of a HMMWV. I have a host of questions for all of you experienced HMMWV owners and those who have dealt with GP before. Think of me as your little brother and you looking to provide him with the best advice and maybe somethings you would have done differently.

What advice would you give me from an administrative perspective?

1. SF97 - Definitely paying the $50 extra to get this. Should I also get a bill of sale?
2. What is "Do you have an applicable tax exemption document for this purchase in California? " What does this refer to? I am already paying tax from the state the vehicle is located in? I need to call GP to get more info.
3. Shipping - Does anyone know a reputable REASONABLE shipping company that you would trust with picking up your HMMWV and delivering it to your door? Recommendations are welcome. The truck is currently in Georgia and I am in Southern California about 2288 Miles.
4. How important is the address I provide to GP for titling and shipping.
5. Should I get a 16 digit vin number now or wait?
6. Should I contact an 'expert' to get the vehicle on road registered or can I do this easily myself (Maybe email me on this subject if too sensitive for the forums)

Aside from that, there are a couple of issues with the truck I want to take care of right away. Let me know if this is too much too soon.

1. The truck has no windshield. So I want to get a new windshield now, so that when the truck arrives I can get it installed. Anyone know of a good supply company for hmmwv windshields?
2. I want to purchase power X Doors. Buy Once, Cry Once. Anyone know where I may find some?
3. I want to do the Duramax / Allison Transmission Swap Right Away (500 HP and 995 lb ft Torque). Anyone know a good shop who can perform this swap at a REASONABLE price?
4. While the Truck Body is in the air, I want to upgrade the brakes, rotors, and calipers. This is an A2 Truck, but I still want upgraded brakes if I am getting the enhanced power train.
5. Anyone know where I can find a turret for a slant back. An authentic Turret for a reasonable price.
6. Also, I want to noise dampen the truck so I can actually have conversations with people inside. How would I go about doing that?

Thanks in advance everyone. I am really excited and I appreciate all of your experience.

Last edited:

Gamble

With almost a thousand lbs/ft of torque and 500hp you're going to break virtually everything in the drive line almost immediately.

Slantback and reasonable price don't go together.

You may have difficulty registering it in California.
So should I not look to perform that engine upgrade? Can I upgrade everything in the drive line?

If I register it in South Dakota or somewhere and get another DL, there should be no problem driving it in CA correct? I have properties out of the state of CA.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rereading my earlier reply it reads way more negative than intended. Sorry.

My understanding is that every state honors tags and drivers licenses from other states. If you're a SD resident then CA *should* honor your paperwork. I have driven mine from AZ to KS to GA to KS to MO and everywhere in between without problems.

These things aren't designed to support 1000lbs of torque. Even the heaviest upgraded components are rated about half that to my understanding. The person to talk to is RWH who runs a HMMWV specialty shop. He'll probably be along shortly.

The military rates things using a different scale than the civilian world. They call a hmmwv a " 1 1/4 ton truck" , so you'd think it'd be more robust than a 1ton pickup truck in the civvy world. It isn't. Not by a large margin. More closely comparable to a JKU jeep, except the jeep has twice the power...

Gamble

Rereading my earlier reply it reads way more negative than intended. Sorry.

My understanding is that every state honors tags and drivers licenses from other states. If you're a SD resident then CA *should* honor your paperwork. I have driven mine from AZ to KS to GA to KS to MO and everywhere in between without problems.

These things aren't designed to support 1000lbs of torque. Even the heaviest upgraded components are rated about half that to my understanding. The person to talk to is RWH who runs a HMMWV specialty shop. He'll probably be along shortly.

The military rates things using a different scale than the civilian world. They call a hmmwv a " 1 1/4 ton truck" , so you'd think it'd be more robust than a 1ton pickup truck in the civvy world. It isn't. Not by a large margin. More closely comparable to a JKU jeep, except the jeep has twice the power...
Predator Inc, in San Diego perform these Duramax & Allison Tranny swaps as a standard. They are all 6.6L Duramax with 450+ HP and 900 lb ft of torque.
H Line Conversions (Johnny Magic) does them so frequently they sell a kit for folks to do them at home.

I guess I'm just not sure why youre saying these trucks cant support 1000lbs of torque.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cal. will not register a hmmwv anymore...even with a out of state title.
The ones that are currently registered there from the early auctions in 99 are good.

Gamble

Cal. will not register a hmmwv anymore...even with a out of state title.
The ones that are currently registered there from the early auctions in 99 are good.
They won't accept a title from AZ or SD into CA? So just drive with out of state plates each day?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They won't accept a title from AZ or SD into CA? So just drive with out of state plates each day?
No. A lot of states flag them. Depending on the state. Some require a resident to tag their vehicle in their resident state in 30 or 60 days of living there.

Option b is to start an LLC in a state that titles them and allows registration of hmmwv's then have to file a foreign qualification in California in order to drive the vehicle legally in California. Just do not exceed 10,001lb or you are required to have a CDL and medical card

DREDnot

That's what I'm hearing as of late. CA has been pulling titles/plates at registration time so people with current registrations are losing them and selling cheap because they are now screwed. The old dodge of driving around with out of state plates is getting dicey with all the automatic plate readers flagging you and they notice it.

Not my personal experience, as im in the free state of AZ, but thats the buzz in the hmmwv underground.

Too bad you didnt do a little research before pulling the trigger on one so far away. They have some really nice ones in Yermo

Good luck, though.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello All,

I was fortunate enough to win at the auction and will be the proud owner of a HMMWV. I have a host of questions for all of you experienced HMMWV owners and those who have dealt with GP before. Think of me as your little brother and you looking to provide him with the best advice and maybe somethings you would have done differently.

What advice would you give me from an administrative perspective?

1. SF97 - Definitely paying the $50 extra to get this. Should I also get a bill of sale?
2. What is "Do you have an applicable tax exemption document for this purchase in California? " What does this refer to? I am already paying tax from the state the vehicle is located in? I need to call GP to get more info.
3. Shipping - Does anyone know a reputable REASONABLE shipping company that you would trust with picking up your HMMWV and delivering it to your door? Recommendations are welcome. The truck is currently in Georgia and I am in Southern California about 2288 Miles.
4. How important is the address I provide to GP for titling and shipping.
5. Should I get a 16 digit vin number now or wait?
6. Should I contact an 'expert' to get the vehicle on road registered or can I do this easily myself (Maybe email me on this subject if too sensitive for the forums)

Aside from that, there are a couple of issues with the truck I want to take care of right away. Let me know if this is too much too soon.

1. The truck has no windshield. So I want to get a new windshield now, so that when the truck arrives I can get it installed. Anyone know of a good supply company for hmmwv windshields?
2. I want to purchase power X Doors. Buy Once, Cry Once. Anyone know where I may find some?
3. I want to do the Duramax / Allison Transmission Swap Right Away (500 HP and 995 lb ft Torque). Anyone know a good shop who can perform this swap at a REASONABLE price?
4. While the Truck Body is in the air, I want to upgrade the brakes, rotors, and calipers. This is an A2 Truck, but I still want upgraded brakes if I am getting the enhanced power train.
5. Anyone know where I can find a turret for a slant back. An authentic Turret for a reasonable price.
6. Also, I want to noise dampen the truck so I can actually have conversations with people inside. How would I go about doing that?

Thanks in advance everyone. I am really excited and I appreciate all of your experience.
EDIT - I don't mean to be rude but everything you say points to you wanting a civilian H1.

You need to sell what you have and buy a civilian H1 Alpha. That has everything you’re looking for and is road legal in California and will be cheaper in the long run after all the upgrades you want. A HMMWV is a loud vehicle without creature comforts and without crazy horsepower and without crazy torque.

IMHO

T

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Can you kindly guide me to the money tree. Be clear little brother, CUZ you're all over the place. ;):giggle:

At home with cabin fever and HumV, CAMO

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And..as of a few days ago...GP told me the Marines who process the SF-97's closed up due to this chinese crap.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HMMWV Titling Questions.
The newly released HWWMVs are being sold with an "Off Road Use Only" restriction. Any discussion on having your HMMWV titled as "on-road" or how to get the vehicles titled for "on road use" will get you banned from the site. See this thread for more details.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?138670-HMMWV-Titling

Gamble

That's what I'm hearing as of late. CA has been pulling titles/plates at registration time so people with current registrations are losing them and selling cheap because they are now screwed. The old dodge of driving around with out of state plates is getting dicey with all the automatic plate readers flagging you and they notice it.

Not my personal experience, as im in the free state of AZ, but thats the buzz in the hmmwv underground.

Too bad you didnt do a little research before pulling the trigger on one so far away. They have some really nice ones in Yermo

Good luck, though.
They dont have slant backs in Yermo. They had some in Georgia.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With almost a thousand lbs/ft of torque and 500hp you're going to break virtually everything in the drive line almost immediately.

Slantback and reasonable price don't go together.

You may have difficulty registering it in California.
calif no longer road titles hmmwv’s as of November 2017.
you will be blocked at every avenue, CHP, DMV, Technical Compliance at the State.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Good luck, though.
Calif is not pulling titles...I’ve got 12 titled trucks and get a renewal once a month, have 2 right now, just have to pay the fee online.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem is getting the vin verification, you have none of the below that will make your truck pass Calif requirement.
-50 state emissions compliance decal
-FMVSS decal
-no 17 digit vin

DMV changed the VIN Ver form specifically to stop titleing former MV’s.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So should I not look to perform that engine upgrade? Can I upgrade everything in the drive line?

If I register it in South Dakota or somewhere and get another DL, there should be no problem driving it in CA correct? I have properties out of the state of CA.
out of state plates are fine, as long as your address is in that state, your DL is in that state...nothing they can do.
if you live in California go the LLC route...nothing they can do

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks