• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I wonder why they pulled all the m35a2s

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Years ago, that was a desirable truck (I am referring to a really long time ago...way before I came into the hobby). Richard Green used to tell me that, when he first came into the hobby in the 70s, you had to take 3-4 M35A2s to make one and they came out in worse shape. Most guys on this list probably don't know who Richard Green was, but he was a good guy who was a dealer in PA. When he was in business, he was way bigger than Newman or Winslow. He passed away a few years back unfortunately.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's common for a unit to clean out their cann points (Cannibalization Points) once in a while, and the hulks end up on GL. There was a 5-ton auction recently in Kansas, a bunch of 939-series 5-tons in scavenged condition made it out. No demil required. Get some new parts, Lego-build it up and drive on!

Course, it takes a lot more work to rebuild a cann truck that to drive one off the lot, but hey, how badly are you into this hobby?

mckeeranger

What's the difference?

This may be a stupid question, but:

I've read all the speculation about the modern day streetability of the M35A2, or lack of (metal dash, single stage master cylinder, etc.) but what about the other trucks? the M817, for example, is basically the same design, just bigger.

They pulled all the M35A2s except for the complete junk, but there are a lot of M35A3s and M809 series trucks still listed.

I'm not trying to reopen the speculative debate on why they pulled the A2s, I'm just curious as to your thoughts about the streetability difference.

nhdiesel

I have thought the same thing, it would seem the reasons they supposedly pulled the A2s would also apply to A3s and 5-tons. But I really can't understand why they could possibly see an issue with the Deuces, I imagine they will most likely be back. In comparison, they aren't any different than any other 60's era civilian truck.

Use of them by civilians shouldn't be questioned, either from a safety or emissions standpoint. Again, they will be used in a similar way as any other 60's or 70's truck of similar size- farm use, occasionally taken to a show maybe, short trips around your area for various reasons. They aren't something that will be used for 30k miles a year.

Jim

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TODDS112, I am not sure if you are calling me out or joking. I am not the site police. We have mods for that. I comment if I see something...usually. To be truthful, I hold my tongue more often than not because I don't feel like dealing with the people who want to debate about following the rules. Remember, these are not my rules. These are Chris' rules. If you don't like them, or anyone else disagrees, contact Chris. I have no idea if this is a current auction or not, but I suppose you are suggesting that it is. Have you contacted the mods?

If you have a problem with this guy's post, say something directly on this thread AND contact a moderator.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing I've not seen in all the speculation here..... LITIGATION???

Is anyone aware of any sort of liability or other law suit being filed against the government for releasing "specifically the M35a2" to the general public for civilian use? Possibly the result of a fatal vehicular accident in which Uncle Sam may have also been named as a co-defendant?

THIS IS ONLY A QUESTION - not screaming "Fire" in a cowded theater here.

Such litigation COULD bring some understanding as to why the model-specific hold.

How about it Lawyer (and legal profession) Members??? Is there a national data base out there that could be searched to see if there is any pending litigation involving the M35's???

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember when they pulled all the dueces about this same time last year?? They came back in a few weeks, although I do think it's taking a little longer this time.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TODDS112: Still not sure if you are joking or calling me out with the winky emoticon. I suggest you contact a mod if you feel that I have acted inappropriatedly or if the original poster screwed up. I have directly asked you a question. If you question me, say it plainly. If you agree with me, say it plainly. If you have a problem with the original poster, say it plainly.

nhdiesel

I posted on the subject of price (either this thread or another), I doubt price is the issue. If they want to make more money off this stuff, streamline the bidding/approval process. More people would get on and bid, driving the prices up. The only reason the prices are as low as they are is because it could be 3 months or more from bidding until approval.

I suppose it could be some sort of legal thing, although I would think it would affect all vehicles. If, say, someone were killed by a newly purchased Deuce that lost its brakes, then I would think they would put ALL vehicle purchases on hold until it was sorted out. I also think there is enough legal wording to cover themselves against any legal action.

Jim (as confused as everyone else)

todds112

TODDS112: Still not sure if you are joking or calling me out with the winky emoticon. I suggest you contact a mod if you feel that I have acted inappropriatedly or if the original poster screwed up. I have directly asked you a question. If you question me, say it plainly. If you agree with me, say it plainly. If you have a problem with the original poster, say it plainly.
WOW! It was a J-O-K-E. I thought it was funny that I was cautioned about mentioning a kind of truck and I had seen it on GL. Then some others post actual auctions of items (which are wrecked).

Funnier yet, the type of truck I was cautioned about mentioning because there are some currently on GL, are appearing regularly in photos on the left side of the screen.

Irony, joking, hi-jinx, tom-foolery, good old natured jabbing.

Reminds me of the Men in Black movie line, "We in the FBI have no sense of humor that we are aware of."

:p:p:pJOOOOOOOOOOKE:p:p:p

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Heard through the grape vine that the M35A2 trucks will be pulled until furture notice..

Something to do with the guages , Govt Types dont like something about the guages. They contain something bad..or something that can be used against the people..
Thats about all the site people will tell me..They dont know for sure eaither..
Well guess the deuce prices just went up!.."about time'!..

Kevin..

TexAndy

Heard through the grape vine that the M35A2 trucks will be pulled until furture notice..

Something to do with the guages , Govt Types dont like something about the guages. They contain something bad..or something that can be used against the people..
Thats about all the site people will tell me..They dont know for sure eaither..
Well guess the deuce prices just went up!.."about time'!..

Kevin..

Yeah. Rumor has it that it's tritium. They use it in nukes to give it more bang for the buck. It's just another isotope of hydrogen that has a couple of extra neutrons. Like deuterium, but better. More neutrons = more fission, I'm given to understand.

Supposed to be slightly radioactive, too.

Of course, tritium is also found on watch dials, gun sights, and probably a thousand other things that people can buy over the counter at any department store.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The deuces I bought from Camp Shelby all had "Rad OK" on the windshield, meaning that they had been checked for radiation. I don't remember if my two Redstone deuces had that, tho. Maybe some had been sold for scrap and set off the radiation monitors at the scrap yard?

Just my contribution to the wild speculation. :razz:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks