• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identifying Texas FMV owners

kc5mzd

I have one of my trucks registered as a normal truck all the others are fmv. The reg on the normal truck is about 250.00 year. I used the weights on the dash tag 13,000 empty and 18,000 max - I think.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the restrictions:
Former Military Vehicle

How you take them and how they apply to you is your choice.
Thanks for posting up this link...

HOWEVER - What the TxDMV states on that webpage IS NOT the LETTER OF THE LAW ! It's like their little "Cheat Sheet" for those who are too lazy to read the whole LAW.

The ONLY thing that a LEO and the Courts can cite is the LAW.

NOTICE:
The remaining content of this POST has been MOVED to:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/politics-related-mv-hobby/67255-texas-fmv-laws-former-military-vehicles.html#post806735

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

NewWheeler

ColdWarrior,
That's all great gouge. I too carry most of those docs in my truck at all times to help in explaining the FMV registration to a LEO who might inquire. I think all of this info might be better placed in another thread describing Texas FMV Law though. Right now, it's all in a thread about creating a list of Texas FMV owners. Might help someone else searching for this info a year from now.

Barrman

Thanks for posting the laws in detail. I carry a copy of this in all my MV's. I have only been pulled over twice registered as a FMV in the last 5 years.

One time because the officer thought I had stolen the truck from the military. Showing him all the laws and letting him digest it worked great. We ended up leaning against the side of the trailer talking vehicles for 30 minutes. He was a Marine, so we got along.

The other time I was on the side of the road making a phone call in the M1009. (Texas Hill Country with very spotty cell coverage. I had a signal and was going to use it.) The Real County deputy pulled over to find out where my front plate was. When I told him I didn't need one, he got mad.

I let him read all the laws, registration paper work and inspection exemptions after he was getting very frustrated with me trying to tell him about them. I also explained that I was attending a M715/military vehicle gathering 5 miles down the road and drove to where I was to call my wife 260 miles away at home. He called in my front and back bumper number. While waiting, he came over to me and said "You are not at a club function, this isn't a parade, there is no public interest and you are not going to or from working on the car. Therefore, you are illegally driving an illegal vehicle."

All I could think of was that my 12 year old son was 5 miles away with Kwai, Sermis, Osut362 and a few others with no way to contact him when this guy hauls me 30 miles away to the county seat. Along with the fact getting my truck out of impound would take days and lots of money. All with me 260 miles from home.

Thankfully, about that time his radio told him that I was driving a D10 military truck and I had nothing in the system bad about me. He should have already known that since he had my drivers license and my CHL cards in his hand. (Yes I was carrying too.) He handed me my stuff, said he had an emergency he had to get to and told me I could "make 1 more phone call this weekend." Then he sped off with the lights flashing. I didn't hear anything on the radio call about him having to be anywhere.

I got back to the MV Ranch and told the story. Kwai had been pulled over by the guy a month or two earlier. The deputy wanted to know "What are you doing driving that truck in my town?" Kwai was in one of his M715's all legal and bumper numbered up. Kwai got told to drive careful. The deputy was referred to as Barney the rest of the event.

I called and talked to the sherrif the first business day after I got back. (This happened Columbus Day weekend Saturday last October) After telling my side of the story, I asked him if he was familiar with the state classic/antique car laws? Since that is basically what catagory the FMV sub section is part of. He laughed and said the county doesn't pay him enough to be a full time sherrif. His other job is restoring and maintaining over 100 classic/antique vehicles for a guy there in Real County. He went on to add that his wife is the only TXDMV person for the county and that between the two, he knows all about this kind of registration. I asked if all drivers of classic/antique registered vehicles were treated this way in his county? Because I spent probably $130 that weekend in the county for fuel, food and ice that I could make sure I never spend there again, or ever come back for that matter.

He assured me it was an isolated incident, that he would review the radio tapes, dash cam tape and then "Counsel" the deputy, that I was welcome back at any time and to call his office if I ever had any more troubles. He did ask for the exact location of where I was staying and the propery owners name. Since I could tell him down to the color of the lettering on the no tresspassing sign and dents in the right gate of the drive, he was convinced I was telling the truth about an actual location.

I was back out there 2 weeks ago in the M1009 for a M35 work weekend. I didn't see any law, didn't leave the property and didn't spend any money in the county.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ColdWarrior,
That's all great gouge. I too carry most of those docs in my truck at all times to help in explaining the FMV registration to a LEO who might inquire. I think all of this info might be better placed in another thread describing Texas FMV Law though. Right now, it's all in a thread about creating a list of Texas FMV owners. Might help someone else searching for this info a year from now.
I AGREE !... and had considered how it had evolved into a thread-hijacking (my apologies).

I started out answering an earlier question within this thread and a few related PM's - I think it's time I consolidate all of this into one dedicated Thread as you suggest.

I'll create that thread at my next opportunity and will post a cross-reference link here to get everyone over there.

Thanks.

John

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I AGREE !... and had considered how it had evolved into a thread-hijacking (my apologies).

I started out answering an earlier question within this thread and a few related PM's - I think it's time I consolidate all of this into one dedicated Thread as you suggest.

I'll create that thread at my next opportunity and will post a cross-reference link here to get everyone over there.

Thanks.

John
A NEW Thread has been created.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/politi...laws-former-military-vehicles.html#post806735

I will go back and "repair" the hijacking-damage above.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do we need a list? We have MVPA chapters, Rallys and other events all the time. There are those that show up and those that don't. Pretty much it is the same people doing. At least that has been my experience for the past few years.
Bman,
I can actually give you ONE reason.

I'm moving from Denver to Dallas fairly shortly. We don't know ANYONE in N. Texas other than a few family member that DO NOT own any MV's.

I am NOT a member of the MVPA (when you meet me, ask me why). So any of the MVPA events, I don't get any notification other than searching. And right now, my location is still Denver for the next thirty days or less.

I'm looking forward to getting to Texas. I'm seriously considering starting my own MV club. Not a competitor of the MVPA. More of a 'western centric' MV type club. Not everyone lives EAST of the Mississippi river. Not everyone understands LIVING in the Western US.

I've lived from Texas to Colorado to California to Oregon. And knowing a good group of folks when you arrive makes coming into a new area much easier.

So, that's the BEST reason I can give you. Not to mention any folks that might be NEW to the hobby and not know about all the access both this sight and others give them.

Maverick1701

Bman,
I can actually give you ONE reason.

I'm moving from Denver to Dallas fairly shortly. We don't know ANYONE in N. Texas other than a few family member that DO NOT own any MV's.

I am NOT a member of the MVPA (when you meet me, ask me why). So any of the MVPA events, I don't get any notification other than searching. And right now, my location is still Denver for the next thirty days or less.

I'm looking forward to getting to Texas. I'm seriously considering starting my own MV club. Not a competitor of the MVPA. More of a 'western centric' MV type club. Not everyone lives EAST of the Mississippi river. Not everyone understands LIVING in the Western US.

I've lived from Texas to Colorado to California to Oregon. And knowing a good group of folks when you arrive makes coming into a new area much easier.

So, that's the BEST reason I can give you. Not to mention any folks that might be NEW to the hobby and not know about all the access both this sight and others give them.
You will be going right through where I live if you let me know when you are coming through we can stop and grab lunch or just say hi or something

Barrman

Wallew,
I look forward to meeting you in person. PM me a number and location once you get settled. My inlaws live in Plano and we get up there a few times a year. Plus, green iron and work have me up there every few months too.

To the subject of this thread. The Metroplex for some reason seems to be a black hole of MV types on the internet. A few show up, but not near the number the population has to have. Houston which is less people probably has 10-20 people here on SS that post at least once a week. Same goes for events. Houston has several events a year through the museum. Bryan/college Station has the Brent Mullins event each March. The Camp Mabry Museum in Austin has events with the local MVPA about every weekend if you wanted to. Member or not. Same with San Antonio.

I am exactly 200 miles south of the I-30/I-35E traffic jam. I only know two fellow SS types between here and there. Yet I can't go 100 miles in any other direction without hitting a dozen or more.

Then there is the Oklahoma group. Seems like they have something just about every month.

200 miles either direction from you.

Let us know when you get settled.

archmark

I live in Woodway, TX, work in Austin and am renovating a 125 year old bank building in McGregor (home of SpaceX's rocket motor test facility). I recently purchased a '66 Kaiser M109A3 turbo, formerly of the Kentucky NG. Looks to be a clean ride and included NIB OEM metal hardtop, NIB windshield glass & frames, NIB door glass & frames, NIB Jatonka oil filter conversion, used diesel ambulance heater and 5 extra used rims and tires. I probably won't be picking it up until October when things slow down a little at work. I already have some "nose art" picked out for it and am having stencils made with some PC incorrect musings that ought to cause the Austin "progressive" crowd to hurl...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks