• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

idiling

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's your idea of a long time?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would have no concern with idling a cucv for 1/2 an hour.

jimmy-90

I idle mine for a good 30-45 minutes before I even get in it to go anywhere in this weather. It doesn't hurt at all to start the truck up and go back inside and take a shower or eat breakfast. I always figured that was what those chain and pad lock anti theft devices in these things were for all though I wouldn't leave mine idleing overnight while I went to sleep just based on the fact that these trucks are old and usually will have things go bad over time. That would suck if something shorted out and caught on fire and you were in your house asleep and didn't realize it untill your whole house was on fire too.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A rule of thumb for diesels is: wait till it's up to operating temperature. Also allows the trans oil to warm up some before putting the coal to it.

TCUCV

I will wait till the high idle kicks down before driving off.
+1 . . . I typically start mine every morning before I head off to work and it takes about 10 minutes for it to idle down with temps in the low 30's. I've let mine idle in a mud hole while I was stuck for about 45 minutes, of course the engine wasn't submerged in water though.

cfish

Just be weary of local laws that may govern against diesel engine idling. I know the limit is 5 mins in NY, Heavy Duty Vehicle Idling Laws - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Ive idled mine for 3 hours one time with no ill effects

I believe I would have to move from a state that was that rigid. Sorry!!
YA I had it idiling for an hour last night. Bothe Alt belts were loose and not charging properly, not to mention kids were in it and left the dash lights on. Battery went dead and had to jump her off. Started right up got home from friends house, tightened the belts and bingo she was charging dead center in the green on the volt/amp gauge. Sat last night and she fired right up this morning, despite the 4 inches of snow/ice on her.

cfish

A rule of thumb for diesels is: wait till it's up to operating temperature. Also allows the trans oil to warm up some before putting the coal to it.

I think thats a good rule of thumb for all vehicles. I know many say with the new vehicles that 10 seconds is all thats needed, but I say bull. My Toyota truck 2002 with 4 cylinder engine has 275k on it and it does not leak or burn a drop of oil. And I always give it atleast 10 mins of warm up time.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine sometimes see extended idle time. If idling for hours its best to bump them up to 1000 RPM.

johnsr

i have had a few civi 6.2l and 6.5l tubo truck and i have used them as batt chargers more than i drove them. as long as it has oil and fuel let it idle no harm to your truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks