• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If my deuce can't be camo, what color???

TigerHawk

Not at all! However I do agree with the others, if you want to remain incognito, don't buy a deuce!

You could get an advertising company to do a free vinyl graphics job on it! Racing company's like to do this...

stumps

You are absolutly right. That was harse of me. So I apoligize for my words. These vehicals make me feel patriotic. And in these times we all need to feel patriotic.
Hi Johnny,

I'm very patriotic. And I spent much of my career building things for the US Army.... many of them green. I have stuff deployed where US soldiers are world wide.

I am not a veteran, nor am I military. I have no interest in pretending, or basking in glory that is not mine. I do not wish for anyone to think I am military, nor to thank me for service I did not perform. I am, and have always been a civilian.

I know from reading this group that there are many different folks here and they have many different reasons for wanting green machines. The reasons seem to range all the way from veterans trying to relive old glories down to pretenders that want others to think they are military men of might.

Different strokes for different folks. It's what makes the world go around.

I have no interest in judging any of you, and I wish that you would be open minded enough not to judge me.

I just like the trucks. Isn't that enough?

Even though I really like the camo look, I think maybe mine ought to be some color other than camo.

-Chuck

jesusgatos

Battleship grey
Paint it tie-die with peace signs... LOL
After adding the cabover rack to mah deuce, I had to paint all that tubing and sheetmetal to keep it from rusting, so I painted on side of it with these psychedelic hippie flames (the whole truck is going to get sand-blasted and re-painted).

But I think it would be pretty awesome to mount a hippie-drill on the front of a deuce (driven by the front axle), like the one Cartman built.

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

September 12th, 2009.

Dear Stumps:

Regrettably, I do seem to have raised your fur above. If you NEED a 6X6 to do whatever it is you do, you're kinda limited due to the price range you're working in.... So I guess you may have to live with a deuce. There are some Russian 6X6's around, but again, most are military in their origin. My other truck is a 1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, kept in service because it can haul heavy equipment into places the Deuce can't get to (yes, there ARE places a deuce can't go (without assistance)).
I had a civillian extra heavy duty F250 that served me for 18+ years, and it is still going in WV, but there were times and places it could not go to move the equipment I needed delivered (I used to repair railroad cars, locomotives and track, and in W.Va. those are often disabled in places no regular truck can get to), so I opted for the Unimog first and the Deuce second, having worked with both types of trucks in the past. For my money, I might suggest you seriously look at a newer diesel Unimog in the U series (used, of course), because they get better mileage then a deuce (at least my gas S404.114 does, and often does better then the modern diesel civillian HD 4X4's), they tend to be long lived and useful trucks, and agile beyond belief. Most americans would not recognize a civillian painted military Unimog for what it is, because they never see them, and they are very hardy trucks.
The duece and her sisters..... Unless you get an M35A3 (ESP) deuce, they are hard on fuel,hard on the driver and crew, and can be a pain to work on, because few of their parts are "Human" scale (kinda like the locomotives I repair), and they are always going to be taken for what they were and are. Paint it flaming pink, purple, omaha orange, whatever color you wish.....
you're always going to be marked as driving a military truck (or maybe a non-conformist fire department brush truck. And the comment, gentlemen, about us being marked in time of war or other trouble..... guess what, it's kinda hard to make a deuce look anything but military. That's why we have EUC's, isn't it.:p

Good luck,
Happy Hunting,
& win the lottery so you can get a HEMTT if
size is really important:twisted:!

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm & Vietnam Deuce
1963 Swiss Army S404.114 Cargo Unimog, Mercedes Benz
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1967 Hercules MEP023A Gas Gen Set
and not a survivalist in sight..... just Texans:twisted:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never served either but don't have a problem driving around in my camo deuce. I don't think when people see you driving it they think you are trying to be something you're not. Even though I never served I do like MVs of all kinds. I'm not trying to "play Army" or anything but to me a deuce is either camo or solid OD.

I used to collect old trators also. Would you paint a John Deere red? All that being said, paint it what ever color you want ( I have seen a red JD before but it stood out way more than if it had been green).

Camo is designed not to "stand out" by the way ;-).

stumps

September 12th, 2009.

Dear Stumps:

Regrettably, I do seem to have raised your fur above.
Hi Kyle,

No worries. My fur is ok. I don't anger easily. I am pretty sure that most of the snide remarks I am hearing are really just playful funning, but being new to this forum, I cannot be certain.

I know that a deuce is easy to recognize for those that know deuces. You guys could spot a deuce if it was any color of the rainbow. I don't have any worries about deuce lovers.

I would like to stay under the radar with folks that can't tell a deuce from a Peterbilt, but know with all their heart, that a camo paint job makes any vehicle that sports one an army vehicle. I think that a nice conservative paint job, along the lines of some that have been shown in this thread would do nicely.

-Chuck

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...However I do agree with the others, if you want to remain incognito, don't buy a deuce!...
And if INCOGNITO is what you really want, may I suggest ANY PAINT SCHEME with the size 2-1/2Ton Groucho Glasses, Nose & Mustache option mounted over the engine compartment and windshields.

Attachments

stumps

I used to collect old trators also. Would you paint a John Deere red? All that being said, paint it what ever color you want ( I have seen a red JD before but it stood out way more than if it had been green).

Camo is designed not to "stand out" by the way ;-).
I guess, most people's emotions don't seem to be ignited by the sight of a JD tractor as much as they do by the sight of army trucks. Army trucks seem to mean something to everyone that sees them. Emotions run from intense love to seething hate. I'd kind of like to keep the emotions of any of the unwashed masses that see my deuce at the uninvolved mellow level if possible.

It is true that camo is designed not to "stand out" in the woods or fields. But it sure stands out like a sore thumb on the streets.

And, yes I would paint a JD tractor red if it needed paint and red was what I had on hand. But then I use tractors, I don't collect them. I plan to use my deuce... assuming BC ever approves my EUC... that is.

-Chuck

saddamsnightmare

September 12th, 2009.

Dear Stumps:

On thinking more about it, the navy grey ones are almost never seen, but you could humor a couple of the old guys on here if you used U.S.Air Force Strata Blue, which does make a striking vehicle, particularly in gloss or semi gloss (How many USAF deuces ever got near a front line, except maybe in Dr. Strangelove???? Just Kidding:p!.
We had an ex Air Force Step Van, 1967 Chevy, that was a very striking untill the paint chalked out from exposure to WV winters, so maybe something like that, with no markings, or black lettering on the doors or bumpers, would get your interest up? In any case, whenever you drive the thing, you're going to hear from every old vet from the '40's on about how much time they spent loading, unloading, fixing, digging out, driving or riding in a deuce and a half, I gaurontee (Kudo's to Justin Wilson).:-D

In any case, drive safe, be careful, and win the lottery.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

Pawnshop

I didn't serve (medical reasons) but my Deuces and M1009 did and they like to wear their old uniform, 383 and MERDC camo. I don't drive retired MVs to get attention for myself I drive them to show my support for the Solders, Sailors and Marines, past and present. Whenever someone thanks ME for my service I tell them I didn't serve when I was young but am now trying to do my part. I sometimes wear fatigues but do NOT wear the uniform of any branch past or present because I don't want anyone to think I am trying to pass myself off as a veteran. I wear MultiCam BDUs, the kids see camo and think it looks like all the rest, the Veterans and Active Personell know its civilian stuff, and THEY are the ones who's opinion matters to me.

nhdiesel

September 12th, 2009.

Dear Stumps:

On thinking more about it, the navy grey ones are almost never seen, but you could humor a couple of the old guys on here if you used U.S.Air Force Strata Blue, which does make a striking vehicle, particularly in gloss or semi gloss (How many USAF deuces ever got near a front line, except maybe in Dr. Strangelove???? Just Kidding:p!.

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D
Strata Blue! Thats the color I was thinking about. The few pics I've seen of the Strata Blue deuces on here look very sharp, and honestly don't look all that military compared to green (the color, not the Deuce itself... Deuces look military no matter what they are painted...) I'm very tempted to go blue when I'm able to get one for myself.

Gray is a very utilitarian color as well, is military without really looking military (like Strata Blue).

Jim

redcoat54th

Mine is going to be Vietnam era gloss OD. BUT if I was going to do a civvy job on it: Firetruck Red. Heck if thats not you bag (don't want to be taken for a fireman ya know!) paint a white stripe down each side and you can be a Coke truck. Unless you happen to like Pepsi.

roscoe

You will need to do something about the exhaust also. I have found that people will hear you first and look to see what is coming down the road or up behing them at the light.