• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If you could have only one CUCV...

Rattlewagon

asking someone to choose a cucv is like asking a jeep nut which wrangler is the best...

waste of time... everyone knows the CJ's are the best! rofl

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Simple, a M1008 with a few mods. Those mods being, 4" lift kit, 37" MTRs from the hummer, 16.5 steel wheels, and liberal use of a sawsall to the fenders.

67_C-30

I would have to choose the M1009 if I could only have one, because I have 3 kids, and I need the extra seats. With that being said, since I don't have to choose, I am going to be adding a M1008 or M1028 to my collection!;)

Milbikes

Been a while since I visited this thread. My livestock has multiplied. I am now driving a 1988 Chevy Air Force V30 6.2 diesel 4x4...and just used it to tow home a...M37! Maybe somebody will offer me a decent M1009 for the M37...? H.

Attachments

jeeplvr247

I like the m1009. Better on fuel, better on the highway and better for moving people around. They are also cheaper which is a big plus for destitute college students.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

I like my M1009 when it is running too... And it's versatility.
But perhaps someday I would like to get an M1028?? Dually...
That way, if and when I ever have a heavy load to tow, I can git'er done.

Good night,

CJ

Last edited:

CycleJay

Hello Danger,

I was also thinking of one of those, and also a deuce..
But I have to be realistic, I would only be able to afford only one MV,
maybe two at the most.

So when it comes to choosing any vehicle, my only concern is safety,
and that it meets my practical needs, and I can afford it.

The only trouble I really have with any vehicle, civilian or MV,
is affording repairs, when something major goes wrong.
Or getting a new one, unless I can make payments on one.

Good night,

CJ

cucv1833

If I could only have one CUCV (Which is about all my wife will allow :roll:)

I would keep my M1009.

I only use it for cruising around and light trail use. Its not my DD. With my M101A2 attached every now and then it works well for for carry extra gear( fourwheeler-light cargo)

If I was to get a second CUCV it would be a M1031

jdeoliveira74

I like the m1009. Better on fuel, better on the highway and better for moving people around. They are also cheaper which is a big plus for destitute college students.
destitute is just for college students anymore seems to be the going trend
its tough out there and it doesnt look like its getting better anytime soon.

Barrman

Having Dueces, A M715 which is basically the first CUCV truck and a pair of M1009s. Along with a USAF 6.2 powered Sububan. Plus a pair of M101 and M105 trailers. I have to decide each morning which to drive and plan out which to spend money on to drive next week or next month. My family chooses the M1009 for just about every drive. It is faster, more stable drive while not so rough we have sore necks and backs and gets the best mpg's.

We have actually had rain the last few weeks. That has led me to insist the USAF Suburban gets driven most days. My wife doesn't have to get out in the rain to let our son off at school. They want to be in the M1009 though. That will all change once summer and the blast furnace heat returns. Then we will have to drive the air conditioned blue bomber out of necessity.

Pretty much if you are moving people, oging long distances, need fast road speed or light bulky items. A M1009 by itself or with a M101 attached is very hard to beat. Being able to keep stuff dry and locked up is a huge plus too.

I find myself looking for reasons to drive the M715. Just to keep the tires round and fluid moving because it sits a lot now. Sure, I miss driving it all the time. however, it just doesn't fit daily driving near as good for my family as the M1009.

Each of us has different needs, wants and likes. There is no right answer for everybody.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my opinion, the easist way to increase speed with these trucks is to install taller tires. I kinda got carried away with my M1028 and installed 11.00/20 NDT on custom 20" wheels. However I still have surprising power while turning 1900 RPM @ 50 MPH. I am not sure what the RPMs would be running HMMWV 37's so maybe someone would chime in.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In my opinion, the easist way to increase speed with these trucks is to install taller tires. I kinda got carried away with my M1028 and installed 11.00/20 NDT on custom 20" wheels. However I still have surprising power while turning 1900 RPM @ 50 MPH. I am not sure what the RPMs would be running HMMWV 37's so maybe someone would chime in.

Hope this helps.
Around 2185 accounting for slippage. At 50mph.

wayne pick

Assuming you have another vehicle as a people mover, I'd have to say the M1031. Mine was modified by the privious owner with a flatbed,sidewinder turbo and a 700r4 overdrive trans. I can cruse 65 easy, but I do not do it often. The suspension is brutal as it was sprung to have a 1000* box on it. The rear springs don't move,the rear tires just bounce on the pavement. Not a truck the wife would want to take shopping. Impossible to overload, probably the best of the CUCV's for hauling.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks