• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If you had to choose....

TacticalDoc

Part of the fun is working on the trucks and meeting people in the area with these green machines. But, sometimes it can get expensive and frustrating. Try to meet up with people in your area and drive them both. You will find that driving the 5 ton is easier even if its 8k lbs heavier. But again you may need a CDL and it is bigger.

L1A1

put a few tons of men and equipment in the back and drive across fields.
It is not the size, it is capability. tow the 2500 across the field too.
My original comparison was for the overall size of the truck (M35). The 2500 pictured is close I was thinking of a Ford F350 crew cab and 8 ft. bed. To a lot of people, the M35 w/ full canvas is a giant vehicle. My comparison demonstrates that it's not as big as you might think it is.

Yes the M35 can carry more cargo cross country, it is a larger (heavier) capacity vehicle with six wheel drive. That 2500 will cruise all day long down the highway at 75mph with the AC running, w/power everything. The people inside able to hold a conversation w/o screaming. Different design, for a different market/purpose..

Matt

Stoner63

I'd be happy to find either one in my area. I'm in hopes that next year more will become available but only one M929A2 running is at GL in Atlanta and that's about it for now. Even the M35's in good shape are gone around here. There were two around me and they were gone before I could got off to go see them.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree on both counts. That's why there is a 2500 AND an M35 sitting in my driveway. I took the photos a few months ago purely as a size comparison. People look at the Deuce and say that's a huge truck! But it really isn't. Put both side by side and the Deuce doesn't look as big.

I liked the M939 5 ton and the M35 side by side photo so I thought I'd post my comparison as well. The 5 ton on its own is big, but compared to the Deuce it looks gigantic. I always enjoy these side by side comparisons, goes to show it's all relative.

My answer to the OP... Get both! :)

L1A1

I'd be happy to find either one in my area. I'm in hopes that next year more will become available but only one M929A2 running is at GL in Atlanta and that's about it for now. Even the M35's in good shape are gone around here. There were two around me and they were gone before I could got off to go see them.
Getting both is a nice idea but may not be practical (probably wouldn't stop me from trying:p). I'm sure that by this time next year the market will be flooded with 900 series trucks and the price will drop accordingly. It already has. I can remember when they used to bring pricing in the teens/low twenties. An old time MVer friend of mine used to say "get what your heart desires otherwise, you won't be truly happy".

Here's an idea to consider: buy one of the M932A2 tractors, remove the fith wheel & mount a bed from an M35. You'll have a short bed 5T (look kind of cool-IMHO). Because they are sort of a specialty vehicle, I don't think the road tractors sell for as much as either the cargos or wreckers.

Matt