• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Im completely lost

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately I haven't been on here in a few years or maybe it is fortunate because I haven't had any issues! Warning this could be a long winded post.

A couple of weeks ago I was getting belt squeal and noticed when it did happen my generator was over charging the battery. After trying the simplest thing first belt conditioner it continued to get worse. I assumed it was a bearing in the generator and luckily I had a 200 amp generator I bought when I first got the truck and the install kit so I wasn't too worried.

I get the 60 amp out and noticed the power steering pump also had a leak and ordered a replacement. Swapped the pulley over and it fit just like the original in there. When I went to install it I noticed it stuck out a belt length with the new 200 amp bracket. Kept going with the install because I wasn't 100% sure till I had the new generator in there and all lined up. I didn't install the jump cable on the generator.

Get the new generator in there and my observation was correct. Power steering pump is a belt length to far out. I finished the wiring and routed the now 3 belts as first belt excluding generator and the last two install around all pulleys.

Drove the truck to test the power steering and generator and everything ran as it should except I am only getting 24.7 amps from the generator and I don't think it is high enough to charge the batteries. Voltmeter is also border line red/yellow. When I tested the connector for the 200 amp jump cable it reads zero.

Any thoughts on first why my power steering pump is sticking out to far and do I have a bad generator? Any thoughts on troubleshooting? I am concerned one that I am running 3 belts instead of 4 and also that the generator isn't creating enough juice to charge the batteries.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets not worry about the belts for a moment, post some pictures when you get a chance.
When you installed the 200A did you have a complete 200A install kit with all the wires including the heavy charging cable that goes directly to the batteries???
If not I am assuming you connected the 5A to the 200A output, this would be incorrect, 5A now goes to sense and the new large cable would directly from the battery to the 200A output.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should also have a new cable a little smaller than the large one that goes from the 14V tap to the connection between the two batteries but is not necessary to have at this point.

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets not worry about the belts for a moment, post some pictures when you get a chance.
When you installed the 200A did you have a complete 200A install kit with all the wires including the heavy charging cable that goes directly to the batteries???
If not I am assuming you connected the 5A to the 200A output, this would be incorrect, 5A now goes to sense and the new large cable would directly from the battery to the 200A output.

Thanks for the quick reply! I attached two pics. You are corrected I did have the complete kit but I didn't use the heavy charging cables. I was under the impression that was only needed if you were drawing that kind of power. I went with 200 amp cuz I got it at a great price and knew they were more reliable than the 60s.

I have to jump off but will jump back on here in a few hours, I am not ignoring you if you reply before I am back online. Thank you for all your help.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the alt started charging with the #5 wire on the output it could fry the EESS, not good.
The reason you use the new heavy cable is because the EESS can only handle 60A and the 60A alt charges through the EESS box.
Again 5A goes to the sense terminal.
If you cannot install the PS belt on that first groove you have an issue with the PS pump/pulley not the alternator.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The old sense wire 568 is abandoned/taped up or a blank plug installed and tied back to the harness.
I am having trouble finding the install instructions, maybe someone can step in, unless you have them, in that case shame on you for not following them!
EDIT: It looks like you have it wired OK except there is no cable on the output terminal, it cannot charge without it, hopefully you have not fried the regulator

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
depending on which neihoff regulator/serial number ?, there is 2 ways to hook up the wiring on the 200 amp units. Search on here as there is threads on it.

Also, Do you have the 12v output hooked up?

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The output terminal does not have a cable going to it, looks like he followed the instructions as the 568 wire looks to be terminated. only he skipped the part about running and connecting the new 200A charging cable.
So the question now is how unhappy the regulator was when it went wide open trying to bring up the battery voltage but not having a path for the output.

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the alt started charging with the #5 wire on the output it could fry the EESS, not good.
The reason you use the new heavy cable is because the EESS can only handle 60A and the 60A alt charges through the EESS box.
Again 5A goes to the sense terminal.
If you cannot install the PS belt on that first groove you have an issue with the PS pump/pulley not the alternator.

Can you explain further explain what you mean by PS pump issue? To be clear when the 60 amp was in I had all 4 belts on with no alignment issues.

Any advice or thoughts on why my power steering pump isnt lined up with the new 200 amp bracket?

Last edited:

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The old sense wire 568 is abandoned/taped up or a blank plug installed and tied back to the harness.
I am having trouble finding the install instructions, maybe someone can step in, unless you have them, in that case shame on you for not following them!
EDIT: It looks like you have it wired OK except there is no cable on the output terminal, it cannot charge without it, hopefully you have not fried the regulator
I also do not have install instructions. I was working off just my basic knowledge and a couple drawings I found online. How would I know if I fried the regulator?

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
depending on which neihoff regulator/serial number ?, there is 2 ways to hook up the wiring on the 200 amp units. Search on here as there is threads on it.

Also, Do you have the 12v output hooked up?
I can check the serial number when I get a moment.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do not need the 12V hooked up at this time but you must install the 24V charging cable from the output of the alt to the batteries, do not forget to disconnect them first, then after you get the large charging lead installed see if it is going to charge, if not and you have 24V at the sense terminal on the regulator you likely fried the regulator because at this time the alternator output is not terminated to the batteries.
IIRC the instructions say to terminate the battery box end of this cable on the Pos. stud in the side of the battery box.
The small PS belt goes on the inside belt groove the one closest to the engine, the three alt/PS/water pump belts go on the outside three grooves, the PS pump should have 4 grooves

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do not need the 12V hooked up at this time but you must install the 24V charging cable from the output of the alt to the batteries, do not forget to disconnect them first, then after you get the large charging lead installed see if it is going to charge, if not and you have 24V at the sense terminal on the regulator you likely fried the regulator because at this time the alternator output is not terminated to the batteries.
IIRC the instructions say to terminate the battery box end of this cable on the Pos. stud in the side of the battery box.
The small PS belt goes on the inside belt groove the one closest to the engine, the three alt/PS/water pump belts go on the outside three grooves, the PS pump should have 4 grooves
This is very helpful. Thank you. I'm going to have to take a picture of the PS so I can show what I am trying to explain. The PS has 4 grooves but the 4th sticks out past all the other pulleys.

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you did not drive the PS pump pulley all the way in. pictures would help.

Drove it in so it was flush with the output shaft just like the PS pump I replaced. Not the best picture but shows the offset I am dealing with. Also while on the subject of pulleys any suggestions on an easy way of getting the belts over over the coolant line attached to the fan clutch?

Thanks again on the wiring assistance hoping it cools down so I can do it this weekend.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a great pic but still looks like the pulley is not fully seated, that is not a coolant line it is the fan clutch hydraulic control line and you must disconnect it at the fan clutch to get the belts on and off, a real PITA!
Here is a pic of what it should look like

Attachments

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also make sure you have a good MATCHED set of belts when you go back together with it, the kit you have may have a belt set in it, mine were twisted for so many years they were unusable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks