• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm just curious...

MO MV man

"So tell me, why did you buy yours and what do you use it for?"

I bought my Deuce because I'd always wanted one.
I had models of them when I was little and a father who was a Marine and always dreamed of having one or an M37 Power Wagon.
Dad never did get either so he's living vicariously through mine.

After I bobbed it, I drive it every chance I get!
I drive it to work from time to time, to the store, take my daughter to get ice cream, to car shows and merely taking it for a ride for no other reason than to enjoy the whistler and all the thumbs up and stares it gets. [thumbzup]

x-ray

If you look at the value of what you are getting (ruggedness, simple reliability, and weight quality of engineering) you can begin to see why they are worth it. But drive one through the woods, fields, or muddy trail and work it and you will wonder why they go so cheap.

First you have got to get out of the “planned obsolescence” mindset that cost conscience automobile marketers have lured you to think like. You’re now entering a world where a proud think tank of engineers put its best and brightest and a lot of tax dollars to bring a long term solution to the battlefield and it was built to win. As you can see the stuff that was made in the same mindset like: B-52s, Huey & Chinook helicopters, and the USS Enterprise are often older than the people that serve in and on them every day. While they are indeed old, they are not necessarily worn out or not “state of the art” when maintained.
Also think of this -
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Your often buying not much more than scrap steel value maybe 2-3X at most?
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Axles alone may be worth more than the truck prices
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Spare parts are reasonable and knowledge is plentiful – Perhaps not so with your 5-10 year old car.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]They don’t depreciate like a new car or truck
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Can go anywhere that a $10K-$20K UTV can, only can haul something large while doing it.

I would say the detractors for an individual owning one are:

·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]You need room for it
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Not the comfiest truck to drive, but I’m OK with it.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Not Quiet
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Big turning radius - Not great for tight parking lots
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]You will want to buy more of them – so the cost of ownership goes up.

hwcurtice

Wow. lots of GREAT responses.

A couple more questions. What about licenses? Driver's mostly. Do you need a CDL to operate a Deuce? I suppose it changes with the state, but in general.

What about if you have a 'bobbed' one? If it's bobbed, does it change the licensing requirements?

They don't sell many around here, so getting one would be problematic from GL.

MO MV man

A couple more questions. What about licenses? Driver's mostly. Do you need a CDL to operate a Deuce? I suppose it changes with the state, but in general.

What about if you have a 'bobbed' one? If it's bobbed, does it change the licensing requirements?

I can't speak for WA, but MO does not require a CDL to drive a Deuce.

In theory, a bobber would change the dynamic of the truck thus how it's rated.
BUT.....there never was a mass-produced bobbed Deuce so there is no specification base to refer to.
So it's basically just a "hot rod" version of an original Deuce.
But take it from me.....BOBBED is GOOD! :beer:

I bought mine from a private party real close to here.
To me, that was worth it's weight in gold to see, hear, touch, drive and have Missouri paperwork ready to roll.
Thank goodness mine led a pampered life prior to my purchasing it!

dragonwagon

Iv long thought of and looked at a couple M37 , then this duece sort of fell at my feet from a private seller . I knew the guy and knew i could trust what he said about the truck . The price was below what i seen on other private sale trucks .

Why i wanted it , well im odd , not odd around here obviously , just in general .

Wanted to buy from a private seller because i could drive and inspect the truck to my liking . Also Mi title in hand no waiting .

MO MV man

Iv long thought of and looked at a couple M37 , then this duece sort of fell at my feet from a private seller . I knew the guy and knew i could trust what he said about the truck . The price was below what i seen on other private sale trucks .

Why i wanted it , well im odd , not odd around here obviously , just in general .

Wanted to buy from a private seller because i could drive and inspect the truck to my liking . Also Mi title in hand no waiting .
You sound like me......I always had my eyes open for an M37 but they're riding a outlandish price high in recent times so they were out of the question.

The "bang for the buck" factor of a Deuce is outstanding.
I couldn't have even got a restorable rolling turd of an M37 for what I paid for a Deuce I DROVE home! :beer:

You can get some smokin' deals on GL but I just can't "roll the dice" like that.
Getting my Deuce was a stretch with the wife.
But getting one that may have needed serious attention (GL auction risk) would have been the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of money and time to get it roadworthy.
Whereas mine required only general maintenance and some VERY minor work to get it safely on the road.

As far as I've read, no state requires a CDL for the deuce, it's under 26000lbs, and it still has a hydraulic brake system (just has air ASSIST ) if you're going for your first, try to find a private seller so u know what you're getting. After that, GL and the like are fine if you have become deuce mechanics inclined and know how to fix what problems may come up

hwcurtice

Another question:

I've heard the term 'Multifuel' thrown around here as well, and in this thread as well. Explain that to me. I don't think I can burn diesel and gas in one of these. The mechanics are all wrong.... I'm guessing you're talking about different types of diesel? Biodiesel?

BTW, I found a guy in my neck of the woods that does Deuce bobbing. Seems like a nice guy, by his email. Hopefully, I might get a chance to go visit his location to see one in progress and either get ideas or ::GASP:: have him do one for me.... I don't think I really have a true need for a full 6x6 truck. Granted, I don't really have a need for a 2 ton 4x4 either, but what the heck, right?

wilber

Mine are a sure sign of my insanity. My wife thinks I'm crazy, my brother thinks I'm crazy, everyone thinks I'm crazy. I just like to look at them and throw money at them. At least that must be what I like, that seems to be what I do.

kwiksilver

Mine are a sure sign of my insanity. My wife thinks I'm crazy, my brother thinks I'm crazy, everyone thinks I'm crazy. I just like to look at them and throw money at them. At least that must be what I like, that seems to be what I do.
I tell my wife i could be throwing money at a bartender or Ralph Lauren... She says I could throw it in the bank.. pffft

hwcurtice

exactly

and multifuel means multi fuel it will run on diesel fuel, jet fuel, kerosene, heating oil, motor oil, gasoline(with oil mixed in) many things lol

You're kidding, right? All these fuels have different viscosity's (sp) as well as ignition points. How does one engine use all these fuels? I mean, I can see diesel and heating oil, as they're pretty much the same stuff, but gas, kerosene, and jet fuel are no where near the same as diesel.

I did try and find out more through searching through other threads, but got completely lost and didn't really get much information. Maybe my searching needs help....

jpekarek

I bought my 5 ton for the novelty really. That's why I ever do anything. But I have found many, many uses for it.

1) Taking my little girls to school.
2) Driving to the liquor store.
3) Just making noise.
4) Getting from home to work.
5) Going to Papa Murphy's for a pizza.
6) Laying under it looking at all the weird stuff.

So as you can see, I really do use my truck to it's maximun potential. How else could any other vehicle offer so much utility in such a small, compact package?[thumbzup]

XanRa

You're kidding, right? All these fuels have different viscosity's (sp) as well as ignition points. How does one engine use all these fuels? I mean, I can see diesel and heating oil, as they're pretty much the same stuff, but gas, kerosene, and jet fuel are no where near the same as diesel.

I did try and find out more through searching through other threads, but got completely lost and didn't really get much information. Maybe my searching needs help....
if you need help understanding the concept.... i say look it up and even better look up the deuces specific engine(i forget what it is:confused:) you can learn alot by searching:roll: lol no offence and i mean the internet not ss