• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm shure another brake fluid question

chevyhurstolds84

Hello gents. I haven't had the need to buy brake fluid for my deuce yet because it came with a half gallon of military issue brake fluid when I bought it. Now I just replaced all wheel cylinders and hoses recently, and I fear this half gallon isn't enough. My question: Is dot5 compatible with the silicone brake fluid that I currently have? I know that Dot5 is silicone based but I seem to find very limited information on the military issue brake fluid and its compatibilities and if its not I'd rather buy a couple of gallons from TNJMurray (only place I could find online) who has military silicone brake fluid.

Question2: Is it worth mounting a remote mount reservior for this system? I'm thinking about mounting one under the dash.

hope I don't seem like a complete idiot thanks for all your advise guys.

aaron379

I bought some dot 5 from napa poured some in saturday and I had brakes yesterday so it worked for me so far... I dont have a remote reservoir but personally I would want it under the hood seems to messy to be in the cab under the dash

chevyhurstolds84

I bought some dot 5 from napa poured some in saturday and I had brakes yesterday so it worked for me so far... I dont have a remote reservoir but personally I would want it under the hood seems to messy to be in the cab under the dash
your truck is original as far as you could tell? how long have you owned it it looks very nice as far as i can tell from the picture

aaron379

Thanks, As far as I know my truck is all original except I repainted it, Ive had it for 6 months now... I like your grill looks pretty mean with the teeth....Did you build it?

rken302

I would use mil spec dot 5. if you look on e bay you can find it for a good price. I just got a 1 gal can for 45.00 shipped and I saw the same guy has more listed. yes it is worth mounting a remote mount reservior for this system. dont know about under the dash. I put them under the hood on the fire wall or behind the drivers seat on the back wall.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brake fluid that is labeled as DOT 5 is all going to be the same(mil issue or bought at your local store). DOT, stands for Department of Transportation. It is a standard.

Do not mix any other fluids with DOT5. Nothing else is compatible, if you ask the manufacturers.

chevyhurstolds84

Thanks! and I bought the truck from a coworker. but before I bought it I had the idea for it and that's what we built before I even had the intention of buying it. needless to say im glad he shelled out for the materials before i bought it!

chevyhurstolds84

Brake fluid that is labeled as DOT 5 is all going to be the same(mil issue or bought at your local store). DOT, stands for Department of Transportation. It is a standard.

Do not mix any other fluids with DOT5. Nothing else is compatible, if you ask the manufacturers.
The brake fluid that came with the truck says "military silicone brake fluid" On a paper tag hanging from it. And not to be rude but I understand what DOT stands for i want shure if milspec was the same or not.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ask whatever manufacturer you chose, if their BFS says"Mil Spec". That will be the only way for you to be 100% sure.

All the research I have done, summarized says, DOT5 is DOT5, all the same, mil spec or not.

Last edited:

chevyhurstolds84

Okay, good to know.
Now I have compared dot 5 to the brake fluid I have. Dot5 is purple in color. The brake fluid i have (which is originally from a sealed container) Is somewhat neon yellow in color and has tons of little tiny red granules in it. can anyone do these findings justice? I forgot to mention this earlier.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your notice of color change/difference, is common.

Have you read any of the hundreds of other DOT5 threads? We've covered this many times(I understand if you have new questions, it warrants further discussion.)

Perhaps a search for "DOT5 color" would be beneficial.

tsstout

I believe the red specks are the color seperated from the silicone. I personally filter it out... I don't like the thought of it in the system..

Keith_J

Back when I was serving, the military brake fluid was DOT5 and purple in color. Used in all vehicles, from the JD-410 backhoe to the Cat 621B scraper. That was in the 1980s.

Heavysteven

New DOT 5 looks purple, old DOT looks like yellow. Little red things floating around contaminet.

I was so happy i picked up another gallon of DOT 5 at the GA Rally

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the date on the sealed unopened container? What type of container is it(plastic, steel)?