• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

impact guns

Artisan

Pull all lug nuts in the shop before you find out they do not
want to move in the field. Use a smidge of Anti-Seize on bolt only
during re-assembly. Torque to TM specs.

I have the standard issue lug-nut socket and solid bar handle. In addition
to that I have 2 more telescoping pieces of steel pipe that are
cut just as long as the storage boxes that when extended gives
me a good 7' or so of lever, just in case.

I upgraded the right rear gladhand w/ a tee and 3/8" QD
although on the too do list is to add a tank that you can
fill if needed on one truck.
I carry an air impact w/ socket and extension so after I break
things loose I can make quick work of it. I an have an electric
gun as well, the kind w/ the red Milwaukee tool colored handle
but the long body electric unit seem to hit harder I found
out after using 98G's.

Now that you have them extra tight you really will need to
lay into things to get them off. I have never had one beat me
using the telescoping pipe trick. Prop up the end and stand on it
AFTER YOU ARE POSATIVE WHICH WAY IT COMES OFF.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only issue I've encountered running big guns off little air supply is that unless there is half inch from the tank to the gun, performance suffers. Most portable air tanks have a half inch bung. By teeing into that and using a short length of half inch hose, you have that initial volume that the gun requires.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
Pull all lug nuts in the shop before you find out they do not
want to move in the field. Use a smidge of Anti-Seize on bolt only
during re-assembly. Torque to TM specs.

I have the standard issue lug-nut socket and solid bar handle. In addition
to that I have 2 more telescoping pieces of steel pipe that are
cut just as long as the storage boxes that when extended gives
me a good 7' or so of lever, just in case.

I upgraded the right rear gladhand w/ a tee and 3/8" QD
although on the too do list is to add a tank that you can
fill if needed on one truck.
I carry an air impact w/ socket and extension so after I break
things loose I can make quick work of it. I an have an electric
gun as well, the kind w/ the red Milwaukee tool colored handle
but the long body electric unit seem to hit harder I found
out after using 98G's.

Now that you have them extra tight you really will need to
lay into things to get them off. I have never had one beat me
using the telescoping pipe trick. Prop up the end and stand on it
AFTER YOU ARE POSATIVE WHICH WAY IT COMES OFF.
I only tried 1 going the wrong way so im hoping with the new gun ill be good to go. The Mac tool guy isn't going to like me if I keep blowing up my 1/2 breaker bar:naner:. Got all the seals on the way and the weather is getting nice so when it all shows up its game on.

Speedwoble

Last year at the GA Rally there were folks seeking a geared lug wrench to remove a deuce tire (same size as 5 ton). I offered my cordless Milwaukee impact and got a little shrug and a reluctant yeah. Knocked off 5/of the 6. Now I have the fuel version and at 1000# feet of torque, I don't have any issues. My 1" impact is enjoying a peaceful retired life now. Lug nuts on my M1031A0 are nothing for it.
I bought the equivalent Dewalt 20V brushless. I see no need for a heavy pneumatic impact or hoses any more. I was pulling some tie-rods at the salvage yard and could not get the cotter pins out. The cordless impact just sheared them off. Incredible.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reviving the cordless impact wrench thread: which is better

Reviving last year's thread because I am going to buy one, not sure which of the two.

Current 1/2" cordless impact wrenches top models seem to be the from Milwaukee or DeWalt, as said here and elsewhere on the net.

Milwaukee has the M18 Fuel 2763 / 22. The European version (with a 230v charger) is the M18 CHIWF12 - 502x. DeWalt has the DCF899-P2 (same name in Europe). Specs are more or less the same with a staggering 700ft-lbs fastening power and 100 (M18) or 1200 and more (DCF) breaking loose power.

Prices for both brands on your side are around 420-450 $ including case, charger and two batteries.

On my side, (Czech Republic) prices average around 780 $ for the M18 and around 600 for the DeWalt but just now DeWalt offers an action on their Czech site for 530 $.

I am going to talk with a sales rep. tomorrow to see if I can get a rebate on the M18. I somehow am inclined to go for the M18, if only because I saw Recovry4x4 use the older lighter brother with such effect. However, a difference of 250$ for a similar product is a bit too big. Anybody any experience with the DeWalt versions?

Edit: Both machines state that the max nut size is m24, but a 5-ton has a wee bit bigger nut than that. I would imagine that the max nut size purely is a limiting trick to push you to buy a bigger machine or is there a real reason for this?

Last edited:

Wagoneer

I carry my 3/8" cordless impact which will break most everything loose except lug nuts, For the lugs I carry a torque multiplier which will twist off a lug stud with ease. I use it to break them loose and then the impact for speed.
Torque Multiplier.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks