• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In a quandry....Go custom 923A2 or Nice shape HEMTT.....

ScubaCat

I would like a double cab 923 to really trick out as my regular 4x4, ditch my 4x4 Expedition EL and get a little beater FWD econobox for my work driving...But the idea of having a really nice HEMTT, done up nice over time has strong appeal too. Both would be "toys" with occasional utilitarian use.

I'm coming into a bit of cash from a land sale soon so either is doable. My neighborhood is very navigable in a 5 ton, a HEMMT may be quite a site parked in front of the house though and turning onto side streets may be.... interesting...lol.

Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas?

mcmullag

Somebody chime in here that knows more about the HEMTT than I do....a M923a2 with the 8.3 L can get 8 or 9 mpg while the HEMTT gets about 4 mpg. Just one item to consider. I have owned two 923a2 and would gladly get another one so I would go with one of those, like you said, more maneuverable than a HEMTT.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HEMTT I absolutely love mine.
The more I drive it the more I get use to it.
You don't get one if your fuel mizer.

Custom the HEMTT

dk8019

They do very different things. You aren't going to get four people into a HEMTT due to the layout unless they are riding in the bed. You mentioned a double cab 5 ton, which of course is feasible. In both cases look at your zoning laws or HOA requirements, sounds like you live in the city somewhere, both will be frowned upon if there's any ordinances about large vehicles being parked on the street.

Outside of that, I own both, the 5-ton is more practical, but no where near as capable as a HEMTT. Providing it will fit, the HEMTT will climb things that the 5-ton may only dream of. The HEMTT has a crane which makes loading it much easier as well. Gas mileage shouldn't even come up in your thoughts if you are serious.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I put a lot of miles in on HEMMT's when I was in Korea and they are awesome trucks as long as someone else is doing the maintainence and buying the fuel.

The Detroit Diesel is like a Harley....if it's not leaking oil from every orifice you better put some in it because it's empty.

It is also a two stroke diesel and in order to get max power out of it you have to keep your foot up against the firewall (it also has an air actuated throttle).

If you ever run it out or fuel you will think the gods of mechanical devices have cursed you. There is a reason most of them have a valve stem installed on the fuel cap.

You have to stay on top of maint because there are a lot of air, electrical and hydraulic lines running through the frame and body.

At some point in time (if you keep the beast) you will have to buy tires and unless you by some now while they're surplussing them out you are going to pay close to 5 grand for a set of eight new ones (if you get them that cheap).

Due to the cab forward design they ride like an oxcart and there is learning curve on steering them in tight spaces.

You also have that screaming V-8 "Yamaha" right behind you and you will wear hearing protection at all times or you will become deaf.

If you are willing to put up with the above it would be an fantastic toy.

A five ton would be more practical but why be normal.

I've spent money on worse things.:roll:

dk8019

Wreckerman isn't wrong, the maintenance isn't simple, big tools, another crane to move parts in and out of it.

I will say mine doesn't leak, and it definitely has oil in it :), then again it's nearly new. Given that the military ran the wrong oil in them their entire life, I can imagine that they did leak though!

Tires are a good point, right now they are all similar in price, there's eight instead of six, but the cost per tire is similar, grab them now. Same on the transmissions, best to have a good one in a crate just in case.

I do love that engine noise though, but it is so much quieter than my Deuce ever was, that I hardly notice it.

ScubaCat

All good points to know. I don't live in a HOA thank the Lord. The maintenance is a consideration. The Hemtt I found seems to be pretty cherry. It will be a toy really. Not driven daily. I do like the fact that a double cab 9xx can carry 4-6 people and can actually be a daily driver....

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine doesn't leak any where either. Only 17k showing and that is also close to the clock time.
Mine is quite I can talk to copilot.
No maintenance needed other than some hoses on crane and rebuild the two erecting cylinders.

ScubaCat

My problem is having a place to store and work on it.... I could get by with a 5 ton but a HEMTT...my neighbors would be ....unhappy. Lol. My garage is not big enough for either. I own another building in town that I can store parts/tools but street is to tight and busy to get a HEMTT into the driveway, even the 5 ton will cut it close.

Picked up my CDL study guide yesterday, going class A

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is funny to read. The general consensus is that a 5-Ton is just a normal utilitarian vehicle! Like the Honda Civic.

I love this world where a 5 ton is considered normal!

Katavic918

Given the choice I'd go HEMTT. Just like any big truck you will get used to it and will be able to whip it around obstacles in no time. Maintenance is a consideration though. Big truck big components. Chances are you won't need to replace anything major and if you do you will probably have to pay someone who has the facilities to do it. Screw fuel mileage, Period. Good luck with your decision.

ScubaCat

Given the choice I'd go HEMTT. Just like any big truck you will get used to it and will be able to whip it around obstacles in no time. Maintenance is a consideration though. Big truck big components. Chances are you won't need to replace anything major and if you do you will probably have to pay someone who has the facilities to do it. Screw fuel mileage, Period. Good luck with your decision.
Id love the HEMTT too, but, I think Ive come to the conclusion that it is just not practical right now.
1.) I don't have a good place to store it, to work on it, it only carries 2 people, it much more maintenance intense, and is dramatically more thirsty. I would literally have to park it on the street, which will cause many more issues than a 5 ton, with the neighbors after the "WTF?" moment and questions stop...

I live in a small city of 15K and I'm not even sure where I could get real storage space for it if I wanted it...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks