• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In Love With An Older Woman

BELinNC

Super cool 404! Congratulations on finding her! I studied the 404 series quite a bit back when I had my Swiss version and I don't remember that box version. Could be a police version like mentioned above or some kind of command and control type. I wonder if the basket/fence around the top is original. Looks great overall and that winch is really nice and valuable/rare. Hope it works. What in the world is up with the rows of holes in the grill area. That seems really weird! Glad you avoided any damage with the battery situation!

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many thanks! I don't like the monkey cage roof rack, and was actually planning to cut it off right away, but it is really well built, welded to the roof in a million places, and undeniably functional. It might be original, and if it is, I will hesitate to cut it off. I also noticed those holes in the nose and at first I thought maybe a backyard modification, but the holes are perfectly round and spaced, and I have seen at least one other 404 on the interwebs with the exact same hole pattern so I think it was OEM and may eventually be the clue that ID's it's origin.

Quick update: Capital District Towing is bringing it down tomorrow for $600.

Once it's here in my shop, I'll need to get up n running ASAP. Many threads on the future loom cuz I'm gonna need help. Tires! Trying to buy tires, change them myself. Have seen just enough to know its a major PITA.

I don't know if the world needs another Unimog 404 tires thread, so I'll ask here for advice or if you know of a good deal give me a heads up!

IMG_20240128_142335751.jpgIMG_20240122_192408.jpg

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No I haven't. The weather has been dreadful. Cold rain and snow. But I will! And soon too.

Anybody ever deal with Simpletire.com?

image.png

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My new truck was delivered today. The driver was a nice guy and put it exactly where I wanted it. I couldn't resist taking the afternoon off. I got the snow off the roof, which improves its look considerably because the cagey nature of the roof rack is less pronounced. There are cool hatches with sissy bars around them. The little cage over the blue light is hinged, for access.

Put the carb back on, added fresh gas. Turns over, no fire. Not even a sputter. The truck already has an electronic ignition instead of points, and last I heard it was running well enough for the prior owner to drive it and use it, tho he said it never ran right acted like it was flooding itself out or something. Anyhow, enough for tonight.

Headlights work and I have three gauges that illuminate, but that's it on the electrical side of things. No wipers, turn signals, brake lights, horn. I can hear the electric fuel pump running, see the headlights. I traced the cobbed fuel delivery system and there is a filter, a pump, new lines and everything shiny.

My next line of attack is check for spark at each of the wires.

Once I get rolling, I will have to go through everything. More rust than I first noticed. However, given the age of the vehicle and it's apparent neglect I am impressed with the overall condition. Made with good metal.

IMG_20240131_152400189.jpgIMG_20240131_152425738.jpgIMG_20240131_152451389.jpgIMG_20240131_152536436.jpg

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mo pics. Those fuel cans say Treibstoff Feuergefahrlich 20L. Interwebs has em for $100 each. Apparently pretty old but not WWII German Military I don't think. But I don't really know. I do know that the design of these fuel cans was fantastic. I remember a guy showing me all the amazing design features of them years ago. I remember the weld. It's protected and therefore less likely to fail from damage.

How do you restore these things? I want to use them.

IMG_20240131_152726402.jpgIMG_20240131_152732492.jpgIMG_20240131_153030382.jpgIMG_20240131_153040501.jpgIMG_20240131_153051204.jpg

BELinNC

Really enjoying the pics of your 404! I guess the uncovered blue light on the roof indicates a police van of some type.
I had good luck getting some Continental MPT tires for my SEE Unimog from Colony Tire. They have a mil surplus division in VA. Price and shipping was reasonable.
Sounds like you have a bit to sort out-don't be too quick to give up your daily driver!
I am sure you understand how slow this truck will be in acceleration and modest top speed.

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I knew a little, but now I know I knew nothing at all. o_O

I'm just continuing to learn as best I can. But I have to admit that seeing my own truck every day makes me hate my little electric mind control commuter spaceship all the more. My car yells at me. It electronically scolds me in public. It tells me when I need coffee. It reminds me that it reads my phone and reports back to the mother ship. Darn thing creeps me out.

I'm reading reading reading. I found a box of spare parts with seatbelts, wipers, wiper motors, and I found all the engine cover panels (3) and fit them in place just to see. Sat in the cab for a while. Made some truck noises. Engine cover has its cute little jacket with the arm holes for handles. Headliner looks a little saggy. I'll get some inside cab pics up. I discovered the high/low beam switch on the floor, but right now it's a high/no beam. The driver interior door handle does not open the door, so you have to roll down the window and reach out to get out. Bonus: I have windows, they roll down, AND they roll back up.

Going to start some threads pretty soon. Still researching what I have. I fell down the "Decoding a Unimog VIN" rabbit hole.

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BELinNC that's a sound hole theory. I had the same thought.

Love that cargo box with the windows in the tarp. Looks like a dirt bike on the back too. And thanks for showing me the correct orientation of the windshield wipers. I'm learning!

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This truck I found on the Classic Unimogs website. The box has the same door configuration as mine, and looks like the same winch. No nose holes that I can see but the pic is not great so they may be there. It is allegedly directly from the Saarbrucken police department, original color.

Anyone from Saarbrucken who could confirm they painted their police trucks Sprite green? :LOL:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This truck I found on the Classic Unimogs website. The box has the same door configuration as mine, and looks like the same winch. No nose holes that I can see but the pic is not great so they may be there. It is allegedly directly from the Saarbrucken police department, original color.

Anyone from Saarbrucken who could confirm they painted their police trucks Sprite green? :LOL:
That color is (or was) the national German police vehicle color.

Attachments

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That color is (or was) the national German police vehicle color.
Wow! That's cool. The plot thickens. I have a 404.113. I have read that most of these that had a hard cab and this type box were for the German police. The green one has the radio stuff still in it, and even tho the chairs and desk are gone, the rest of the layout of my box is the same.

Thanks for the info on the Jerry cans. I've seen some dipping done. Now I get to do it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks