• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In Love With An Older Woman

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I have this figured out. I have a 404.113. It was made for the German Polizei and was probably used as a radio truck or maybe a mobile zoo containment unit. Either way, it's got an M180 engine and a Zenith 32 NDIX offroad carb.

So it's the drivetrain that makes this thing so unique. Portal axles and fully locking front and rear differentials on the fly, and geared like a tractor. The compressed air system powers a brake booster for the truck and up to two trailers. Fitted with standard air outlets it will air up the tires, but not enogh air to run big tools constantly. Only 88 HP but gobs of torque. Slow and low.

When I got home from work tonight I jumped in and bumped the starter. It coughed, which is an improvement. I have the whole weekend to commune with it. Hoping to drive it! I'm pretty sure the carb is the issue, but it may be the fuel pump pressure is off. The prior owner said the carb acted like it was constantly flooding, and he had success "spraying gas directly into the carb" whatever that means.IMG_20240203_144630425.jpgIMG_20240202_191750092.jpgIMG_20240203_165947092.jpgIMG_20240203_170116468.jpgIMG_20240203_170149729.jpg

BELinNC

Great to see the pics. I am a fan club member for this truck! That engine cover is something I have not seen before. It looks like thick insulated fabric. Is that right? Most unimogs have insulated metal "dog houses". They do their job, but are heavy to move and put on/off.
Crane looks useful for some tasks, but probably only install for special occasions. No need to carry around any more weight then you already have!
Sounds like maybe more of an ignition issue if it is not running a second or two on ether. Good luck

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My thought exactly. I have an order in to EI with a carb gasket/seal kit, and tons of other stuff including plugs n wires. I will look for spark tomorrow. At least I know how to do that. This truck has already been converted to electronic ignition. Not sure which one, or where it is, or how to trouble shoot it, but I'm thinking I'm about to find out. I tried starting it dozens of times today and the most I got even with spraying liberally with starting fluid was a few chuckles at my efforts. Charging the batteries at night because I'm beating on them pretty hard.

Looking up while bleeding brakes, I was a little surprised to see wood. The whole bottom of the cab is made out of planks, like a deck.

Also surprised to see the Westfalia tag in the cab. I know that name from the VW campers. I hear Magic Bus playing....

"I don't care how much I pay,
Gonna drive my bus to my baby each day " 😄

Truck needs a lot, but it's worth it. Very cool engineering. I found the hydraulic ram and tire chains in the storage box behind the battery box.

Yeah I have all three of the engine cover panels, I just left the passenger side off for access to the carb for now. Yeah that little jacket is old. SOme kind of plastic rubber material on the outside, and quilted to a thick tweed liner on the inside.

My roof hatches work, and I've decided to take off the roof rack. Just not digging the look.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great pics. It looks so complete and clean. Can't help but notice the flag symbol of my Country, upside down......suiting. Part of the family lived in Albany back in the day with Bob Christiansen making drugs as a chemist. I think only cousin John is left there so say hi if you see him. Albany was good to the family. They did well. I think it's something like neo-sinifferin or sudafed was the Unk's claim to fame. If the carb gives you headaches, let us know, we have a guy.

unimog.jpg

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still no start. Checked for spark and have spark at the back three wires. Plugs look pretty new, but are black and shiny. I didn't check the front three wires yet, mostly because they are harder to get at, and it was really distracting me the roof cage.

More crane implements found.

IMG_20240204_141407522.jpgIMG_20240204_152627879.jpgIMG_20240204_141140815.jpg

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suggest you check into any state laws regarding blue emergency lights, might need to go as well.
Yep good call. It doesn't work right now, but I do plan to make it work. Don't know why. I love the little cage over it, which is hinged for access. I'd like to keep it if I can.

I think it looks loads better without the rack on top. Now back to getting her to run. Next step check the other three wires for spark. I have fuel, air and spark in at least three cylinders. Gotta be close.

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I suppose this revelation (that I have a police truck) raises a question: since I don't actually have a military vehicle, do I belong here?

The police vehicle restoration forums are pretty quiet. I like it here. I would like to stay if you guys will put up with me.

In support of my application to remain a member, I submit SMC Exhibit A, which is an unsupported, unsigned and uncorroborated statement from Super Mochombo, Esq. the 3rd, to wit:

"I love military vehicles, and US ones in particular. I would have bought a CCKW or G506 if I could have found one in decent shape in the Northeast. "

In furtherance of a thumbs up vote from the Steel Soldiers Powers That Be, I also submit that lI plan to attend a Steel Soldiers rally! I wil bring beer. I can play the harmonica. Many thanks for your consideration.

Signed,

Super Mochombo

PS. Don't forget I am super. Not to be confused with supper. I don't want to be anyone's supper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks