• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

In need help gathering information on these old deuces

Lonesome715

In need of help gathering information on these old deuces

I want to build one of these when I get home. I love this body style but I know absolutely nothing about them. Now, I am not saying I am getting into this right now. I just want to gather the information so I can be ready to make informed decisions when it comes time to start dropping money. I would prefer to locate one with out an engine, transmission, and transfer case. I want to drop in a few of the more modern components. I am interested in learning anything you all can tell me.

Attachments

Last edited:

badgmc56

If you find one in decent shape and runs with a good automatic trans, it would be a shame to break it up. These trucks in good shape are getting harder to find and I can see a growing interest in them. I'm sure other guys will chime in let you know the pros and cons of engine , trans and transfer case swapping. There is something about these trucks that kinda grabs you if you like gassers.

Lonesome715

That is why I want one with out the engine, tranny, and T case. I will not part out a complete original truck. I want one that needs a lot of love already.

badgmc56

I have seen a few On ebay with engine and trans swaps but the rest of the truck is much to be desired. Good luck on your search. Hope you find one in good shape to fit your needs.

Lonesome715

I want this truck to be my cure all vehicle. I want to use it for everything from hauling hay to highway travel. Plus, I want it to look good and retain its classic appeal. This is my wish list of installs and upgrades.

1. Multi fuel engine
2. Transmission from a modern medium duty truck for more high way gears.
3. Three speed T case with 2H, 4H, and 4L
4. drop side bed, either a modified original or fit a modern one on
5. Dump bed
6. More comfortable long haul seats
7. Ability to disconnect the rear drive axle from inside the cab
8. Insulated and sound proofed interior
9. Air for air break equipped trailer and air tools.
10. Modern gauges
11. Maybe, but unlikely I might consider air ride suspension. Very doubtful though.

What I want to keep:
  • The classic appearance.
  • Running gear
  • All the trim items (I.E. bumpers, lights, and so on)

Again, I am not jumping into this right now. I am just gathering intel.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think a hot setup if you really want to update the powertrain is dropping in a 366 Chevy with an Allison auto out of a U-haul truck. This engine can handle 3500 rpms for hours on end. Axle ratio changes on the "banjo" axles are not available that I know of. You need to keep the stock GM transfer. It can handle an extra 60hp. With this setup, you would not have low range, which was originally provided in the hydramatic.

Lonesome715

That is great to know. That is one less hassle I will have to figure a way around. Thanks.

What years was this body style ran? Who all built them like this? Are there any different configurations I should stay away from? Who made the running gear under them? What kind of gearing do they have and is there any after market support for it?

Lonesome715

I think a hot setup if you really want to update the powertrain is dropping in a 366 Chevy with an Allison auto out of a U-haul truck. This engine can handle 3500 rpms for hours on end. Axle ratio changes on the "banjo" axles are not available that I know of. You need to keep the stock GM transfer. It can handle an extra 60hp. With this setup, you would not have low range, which was originally provided in the hydramatic.

Thanks. That is also good information. As far as the engine I am really set on a multi fuel from a modern deuce.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Answers: 51-56, just GM, same configs as G-742 except wrecker and expandovans, truck is 100% GM (except for bed), ratio 6.17, plenty of stock config parts support. Multifuel will not fit without huge hacking, the back of the stock 302 is right against the firewall.

Canada used this truck into the 1970's, not sure of the "CDN" build dates.

If you really want a diesel, you will have to go with a medium truck V-8 like a Detroit 8.3 or smaller inline 6 like a 5.9 Cummins.

Lonesome715

A couple more questions. What is this deuce called? I know it sounds stupid, but I have heard a few differetn naes and numbers for it. When I start tracking parts, what should I call it so people know what I am talking about?

This one might take a while to answer. I see the more modern deuces all look the same regardless of who biult them. I know why that it is but I do not know why deuces made at the time period as this GMC look different. Did the companies back then not have one standard biult requirement?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a "search forums" for "G749" Read the response from DDoyle on "Why early deuce".
The trucks are called a lot of things. The one in the picture you have is a M211. People call them "hydramatic Jimmys", "Eisenhower Trucks" (Philippines), M211's, M135's, plenty of not so nice things . . . Yup, the rear end drive setup is very old-school, but it works at the power levels of the 302: The xfer has two output flanges, one driveshaft goes to the forward rear axle, the other driveshaft goes to the rear rear axle, the shaft is split and there is a pillow block mounted to the forward rear axle.

Lonesome715

Thanks. That will give me a big head start. I would really like to see a photograph of the drive shaft and tandem set up. I searched for one earlier but no luck.

Lonesome715

Shoot me straight no this one. I want this model deuce because I love the way it looks. That is the only reason I am willing to put that kind of work into bringing it up to a more modern standard. After looking at my wish list and confirming I am dead set on a multi fuel engine, would I be better off just starting with a newer deuce altogether? I really prefer not to and I do believe with the right amount of planning and the proper equipment all the mods I listed are very achievable.

One more thing, did they ever come with hard tops? Are hard top available for this model.

Last edited:

Lonesome715

That looks great. Now that I know hard tops are available the only issue is going to be the engine fitment. Some photographs of the engine bay would help.

hippiedude

If I were you I would look for a nice cab and put it on a m35a2 ..... Less work and it gives everything you want.....It is a cool truck stock though , and has a cool sound out the stack to........... Tim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks