• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Incorrect Year on Title ??? California Registration Assistance?

Bhpdbrad

So... I have a registration situation that I'm wondering how difficult it will be to rectify.

Seems that I received my title (from PA) and it lists my BMY M925A2 as a "2012" model year.
This is what was on the government paperwork after the Army 're-build'- and apparently they would not amend the title to reflect reality.

I (of course) would like to register the vehicle in my state (CA) as a 1991 (which it really is) and get 'Historical Vehicle' license plates for the truck.

Anyone else - especially in California - have this problem? I'm hoping a VIN Verification will suffice with the DMV office. Note: I tried to do this with Auto Club - but was told that they can not register (heavy GVWR) trucks. It's seems obvious that there can't be a 2012 BMY. This would be like saying you have a 2102 Studebaker... the company simply didn't even exist in 2012.

Any advice is appreciated.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup . that's a problem for sure . I can not speak for California , but you need to do some research of your vehicles chassis # and vehicle information plates to show the local officials what was the actual build date . Pictures and paperwork usually help . Keep in mind the MV is only "NEW" once , no matter how many times it has been "REBUILT" Did you get this from GP???? if so contact them . I can not tell you how many times I had to fix this little issue in another state before I retired . I usually went by the chassis # and the info on the cab plates to determine a year . good luck

ralphluby

I believe that the M939 series of trucks built by BMY were all built between early 1989 until May of 1993. There is a serial number stamped on the drivers side of the frame just back of the front tire. The number in most cases was printed vertical and is sometimes hard to find since it may be covered with many layers of paint.

Bhpdbrad

I believe that the M939 series of trucks built by BMY were all built between early 1989 until May of 1993. There is a serial number stamped on the drivers side of the frame just back of the front tire. The number in most cases was printed vertical and is sometimes hard to find since it may be covered with many layers of paint.
I'm sure I can locate the number on the frame and compare it with the data plate - which will verify my VIN... (And even the date range produced; i.e. 1991).

What I'm not too sure about is the willingness of the DMV in CA to modify the existing title. I'm just hoping logic prevails... But there are too many DMV horror stories - where they just don't heed to common sense.

I'll find out next week when I have my appointment. :-(

quickfarms

Get the PA title corrected.

CA will love to charge you all the fees for a 2012.

You will have an uphill battle getting it corrected in CA and could end up having the truck impounded and crushed for having fraudulent paperwork.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my best guess asti what happened-

This was one of those trucks with a blank dash data plate. In those situations GP has the buyer fill out the SF97 request form, to include year.

The original purchaser saw an opportunity to inflate his truck's status, so he stuck 2012 as the manufacture date. PA DMV got their info from GP.

CA has a whole bunch if hoops to jump through if you can't register it historic. Everything from retrofit of DPF and other emissions equipment, to accelerated turnover requirements. And full commercial licensing fees of course....

My best guess says PA (or possibly florida) is the place to fix this. My experience says they'll want to put eyes on the truck to verify.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree something to that effect happened , most DMV's go off the supplied paperwork to get the vehicle information for title work . All done by a DMV clerk who does not understand Military Vehicles . GL used to do that all the time , a "WHATEVER" on the year/rebuilt status . It is a mess for sure . That's why I tell people buying these or any vehicle , CHECK , CHECK and did I say CHECK that paperwork and make sure it is for YOUR MV !!!! A 5 Ton make a heck of a piece of LAWN ART !!!!

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The title for my M818 is also incorrect; reads '83, but the truck is a '77 (I do want to amend it though). Even with that discrepancy, I was still able to plate Historic. Your issue seems a little more daunting. I s there not a manufacturing date on the data plate or is blank as mention before?

AAA did my VIN verify at their Inglewood office. They did not do the registration.

I went to a DMV proxy service and they took care of the registration for me. You may want to inquire with them and see if they can help you out.

Tony's DMV Service
3301 Peck Rd, Monrovia, CA 91016
(626) 447-2450

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be extremely hesitant to bring it to the attention of CALI authorities. Resolve this upstream and present them the resolution.

My call to cali DMV yielded the info that they'd want to hold onto the vehicle until/unless it was all sorted out. They led me to believe that they'd consider it falsified documentArion and treat it as such.

Far better to present them with an accurate out of state title from the source state.

They gave me the impression their opinion was "crush first and sort it out later". With the "sort it out" portion mostly consisting of who they wanted to charge with felonies....

NovacaineFix

I had the same situation for my 818, it was listed as an '85. I have no documentation proving that it was ever rebuilt, no data plates on the dash, nothing.

Anyway, I bought mine through GSA, and when I received the title, it was listed as '85. I emailed the GSA office and attached a pic of the serial number for reference. If you can point out in the serial number where it actually indicates the year it was made, that will help. Remember, the people filling out these titles or Bill of Sales are not always savvy in the actual details, they print it out with the details that were provided to them.

In my case, for Historical Plates, I found it was easier, both time and money wise to have a registration service do the leg work. Remember, not all DMV offices are completely knowledgeable when it comes to registration and titling of former MV's. When I 1st tried to do mine through the DMV, they wanted over $700 for registration and a certified weight, which is not needed for Historic plates.

Just request the office where you purchased your vehicle to send an amended title or Bill of Sale, provide as much info as you can to prove that it is not a 2012 vehicle, and be patient. I did the same, even with the example of the company, Kaiser Jeep was not even around in 1985, so how could they produce this truck. Funny.

Good Luck.

If you need any more help, just shoot me a PM, there are some friends I know in your area, that may be able to help as well.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this were the first title from GL/GP/gsa it'd be an easier fix.

I've seen those fixed with a call and an email.

The thing is, it has now been titled in PA as a 2012. It may or may not have also been titled in FL as a 2012. (My best guess says it was).

In novacainefix's example, he was correcting the origination documents, as soon as the error was found. In brad's case, he's trying to correct documents that are well downstream, and also have some time on them and at least two transfers....

NovacaineFix

If this were the first title from GL/GP/gsa it'd be an easier fix.

I've seen those fixed with a call and an email.

The thing is, it has now been titled in PA as a 2012. It may or may not have also been titled in FL as a 2012. (My best guess says it was).

In novacainefix's example, he was correcting the origination documents, as soon as the error was found. In brad's case, he's trying to correct documents that are well downstream, and also have some time on them and at least two transfers....
I didn't see that part that it was registered in Florida, but Yes, in my case it was the original US Government title, it had never been titled before.
If it was titled before in another State, you can try going to that State and having them amend the title, it may take a bit of convincing, but it can be done. It would be the same process of getting a duplicate title without the original. You just have to have all the possible documentation to prove that it is in fact NOT a 2012 model truck.
If it is still titled in PA, then go to PA DMV and have them amend the title before trying in CA. CA would be hesitant to amend a title from another State without proper proof, since it is a legal document.

What I did was go to any web site that has a nice VIN breakdown and talk to someone at the PA DMV (if you can), or hire a registration service in PA and email them the info needed to convince the DMV to amend the title.

Here's what I did along with some other info:
20150731_185944 copy.jpg

Good Luck man, hope the best for you.

>>>Edit: I included a link of the actual email that I used to send to GSA if this helps you. With my vehicle, Kaiser was out of business so there was no contact info to provide, but if you show other relevant info to support that, you should be fine, provide links if at all possible, but make sure that the links and other info provided is easy to navigate to. No screenshots of web pages, if the DMV needs to verify, they want to see for themselves, not something that you saved. Just some suggestions.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1ze9-XbT7yqVFV3V3VHY1BSY2s

Last edited:

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup , what he said . That would be the way to go . Try to keep it as simple as you can when you are dealing with DMV , good luck .

Bhpdbrad

Thank you all for the advice. It's very good information.

I will go to my first appointment (this coming week) at the CA DMV office with "hypothetical question(s)" and see if there is a solution here (in CA) before presenting them with the actual paperwork.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I will go to my first appointment (this coming week) at the CA DMV office with "hypothetical question(s)" and see if there is a solution here (in CA) before presenting them with the actual paperwork.
I would not take the truck with you. At least for now.
On something like that, they can seize it until/if things are worked out like mentioned earlier.
Take photos or whatever else you need to.

Good luck

NovacaineFix

Be careful about the hypothetical questions, what ever you say or provide, DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR VIN, it may come back to haunt you, especially if they enter it into the system.
Your best bet is to go to a registration service, there you can provide your VIN/serial number and any other relevant info, since it is their job to make sure that everything is in good order. Plus they g to DMV for you and handle all the leg work. Trust me, it's worth it.

63foxtrot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Facts are facts. fact #1 truck is a 1991 not a 2012, it states on the engine label. fact #2 truck data plate should state 1991 as delivery date unless it was changed. Take it to CHP or a certified verifier to verified the facts. You should be good to go. Truck is a 1991.

NovacaineFix

Facts are facts. fact #1 truck is a 1991 not a 2012, it states on the engine label. fact #2 truck data plate should state 1991 as delivery date unless it was changed. Take it to CHP or a certified verifier to verified the facts. You should be good to go. Truck is a 1991.
I'm not arguing, I'm with you 110%. Just got to remember that most folks at the DMV are used to the standard 17 alphanumeric VIN, so for them to start looking at frame numbers and anything on the chassis is asking way too much. The thing I was stating is that if you can find a good reliable website, something like militarytrader.com, and show them what the frame numbers mean and where they are, then they will most likely take his word for it. You know that in California, that if you don't dot your I's and cross your T's they will not accept it.

The reason I wouldn't use the VIN when asking questions, is that they enter it into the system, that action may be harder to undo, hence the reason for the registration service. The service is actually not that expensive and it saves a ton of time, especially when it comes to matters like this.
Most of the time, the registration service people deal with only a handful of people at the DMV, so they know who to ask and deal with when it comes to issues like these. With you and me, every trip to the DMV is starting from square 1 with a new person each time. The possibilities of errors and costly mistakes is greatly enhanced.

My last trip to the DMV They relied on there computer I tried to get multi fuel on the title because it was a multi fuel I had to pick gas or diesel that what was in the computer.
I tried to get Kaiser Jeep on the title I had to pick Kaiser or Jeep (Kaiser Jeep ) is not in the computer . I showed her the truck she read the plate on the dash still no good Kaiser or Jeep not both . I would think A title should be a true description of a vehicle and have a matching vin number . Good luck .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks