• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Incorrect Year on Title ??? California Registration Assistance?

Bhpdbrad

Facts are facts. fact #1 truck is a 1991 not a 2012, it states on the engine label. fact #2 truck data plate should state 1991 as delivery date unless it was changed. Take it to CHP or a certified verifier to verified the facts. You should be good to go. Truck is a 1991.
Well...you and I know it's a 1991... Convincing CA of that is/may be my problem.
The problem was born when:
1) after the rebuild - the data plate was changed (I see this all the time) and where the "delivery date" field is on the plate - is now blank. The GP auctions don't even list a year on these situations (trucks) when they are up for auction.
2) the PA DMV titled the truck as a 2012 since that is what the "rebuild" date (only date on paperwork - listed.

I'll give that Registration Service a call first.... And keep everyone updated.

Bhpdbrad

UPDATE!

I received good news from two sources today... :D

1) The CA DMV office this morning told me that - even though the PA title list the Model Year as a 2012 - :recovry4x4: I can amend the CA title/registration - to the correct year (1991) with a VERIFICATION of VEHICLE Form - which has to be completed/inspected by a Law Enforcement/Agency.

2) I also called a private Registration Service that confirmed the same information. btw - for CA residents - I called the Tony's Registration Service - but they are now retired.

:grd:So... my next appointment is June 20th - when I'll bring in all the forms and supporting documentation. (Yes, it's a wait - but it's the only appointment that I could get in the morning hours when they just open) - For those of you in other states that don't have 2 -3 hour wait times at your local DMV offices - be glad.

I'll let you all know what happens then. I can't wait to finally get this truck registered! Historic Plates by the 4th of July - Hope so!

Bhpdbrad

so facts are the facts.
Thank God!

... but with that said, there was some concern as I (the one that knows the facts) - still have to deal with a bureaucracy that has a bad reputation of going sideways - or at the very least, making it very difficult by literally making you jump through many hoops. I have seen the DMV dig their heels in many times and not sway to logic (or facts). After reading the experiences of others, I was concerned that could be the case in this situation. i.e. "Just have PA change their title" like THAT would be convenient and easy to accomplish from the left coast.

So... I'm hoping when I return in few weeks with my paperwork in hand, that all goes well.

I really appreciate the information that is shared on these forums. When you mention Military Vehicles - and their related issues - to any other folks, you typically hear crickets. Or they just ask, "What IS that?"

randygk

I had to have the CHP do the inspection of our M923A1 without title for the DMV after purchase from GL. He saw the engine label of 1983 and said it's a 1984 vehicle. I pointed out the transfer case and transmission with late 1984 build dates, but he didn't care. So I requested the SF-97 as 1985 and took it back and the CHP changed the year. It wasn't a big deal, I just wanted a '85 truck. Yes, the young gal at the DMV asked what I was registering and when I showed her a pic of the truck she kind of rolled her eyes and had a disgusted look. Maybe something she ate.

RDUKW

UPDATE!

I received good news from two sources today... :D

1) The CA DMV office this morning told me that - even though the PA title list the Model Year as a 2012 - :recovry4x4: I can amend the CA title/registration - to the correct year (1991) with a VERIFICATION of VEHICLE Form - which has to be completed/inspected by a Law Enforcement/Agency.

2) I also called a private Registration Service that confirmed the same information. btw - for CA residents - I called the Tony's Registration Service - but they are now retired.

:grd:So... my next appointment is June 20th - when I'll bring in all the forms and supporting documentation. (Yes, it's a wait - but it's the only appointment that I could get in the morning hours when they just open) - For those of you in other states that don't have 2 -3 hour wait times at your local DMV offices - be glad.

I'll let you all know what happens then. I can't wait to finally get this truck registered! Historic Plates by the 4th of July - Hope so!
Go straight to CHP. I had several title get bounced back after getting an inspection don by a local officer. Also the CHP inspection supersedes the title info and the DMV uses their description / year

Bhpdbrad

(Another) Update:

The main take-away: A correctly titled vehicle with current plates is a big plus when buying or selling.

After two trips to the Culver City DMV office - I have FINALLY received the registration to my M925A2 that I picked up in March of this year!

The biggest problem areas with trying to register/title MVs - especially big stuff - in CA is mainly due to the following (my experience):

1) DMV employees - They just don't understand their own rules and regs when it come to something they have never seen before. They also would just rather make you return another time and let someone else deal with it instead of researching the issues.

2) Commercial weight fees - Get ready to pay $$$ in CA - even if you wont operate as a commercial vehicle - this all has to be modified later with the Historic Vehicle registration. My fees were $800, which also included taxes.

3) Vehicle Verification Form - Needed - Go to a CHP office to have your MV inspected. It's always required for registration when you bring an out of state titled veh into CA. But I also had to have the 'Model Year' changed to a 1991 BMY vs the 2012 that PA had on it's title. (due to an incorrect military form/bill of sale SF-whatever form)

4) Weight certificate - They wanted me to leave and come back with a weighmaster's certificate for the vehicle's estimated weight, even though I was told to just fill it out on the form the last visit. When I protested (nicely) they provided me with their informational handout for "how to Register a Vehicle from Out-of-State" as the end all be all. I took a few mins and read it at the counter then pointed out that is stated.... at the very end of the form... "A certificate is NOT needed on two or three axle trucks weighing 10,001 pounds or more - just a estimated weight is required." Oh, thank you for pointing that out.", they said.

4) MVs in general - they just don't 'get it' - or understand it - when referring to the type of vehicles or the hobby.

Now, with that said, I still have to wait for the title to come in the mail. I'm hoping there is no additional 'problems'/questions. I also have to wait for the title before submitting for the 'Historic' Plates - which will be less registration fees and will hopefully generate a refund of some money.

So if there's anyone that is wondering about the hoops that CA DMV may throw at you to register here - maybe I can help a little. Then again... I'll wait until that pink slip (title) comes in the mail.

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Culver City DMV...right in my neck of the woods!

That blows about the weight fees! I didn't have to do that. I also got the VIN verification at the Inglewood AAA. Mostly a no sweat operation for me.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wrong year is better than the wrong make. My title says it is a Stanley Steamer. It's a MTV M1088. How the fudge someone got that from S&S I will never know. Good drugs or bad whisky I guess.

Bhpdbrad

Culver City DMV...right in my neck of the woods!

That blows about the weight fees! I didn't have to do that. I also got the VIN verification at the Inglewood AAA. Mostly a no sweat operation for me.
Here's an interesting fact about AAA. I don't know when you went there but they were my 1st choice to attempt the registration process (May of 2016). The reasons pure and simple that they are easy to deal with and I've never had a problem (except forgetting that I need cash or check only).

Well, as soon as I mentioned that I needed this MV registered - they asked, "How big of a truck is it (weight)?" When I provided the GVW they said that they (AAA) can no longer register large commercial trucks. I don't know if it was due to being an out of state title or not, but the can't do it was clear.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wrong year is better than the wrong make. My title says it is a Stanley Steamer. It's a MTV M1088. How the fudge someone got that from S&S I will never know. Good drugs or bad whisky I guess.
I have no experience on the "other side" of this, but I've always imagined that some of this comes from the inflexibility of whatever the computer system they're using. Perhaps Stewart & Stevenson isn't a choice in the drop down menu or whatever. My M925A2 was almost a "BMW" because the lady couldn't find "BMY" in the system. The SF97 had the correct "BMY Division of Harsco" on it, so she was able to type that in and I think it said "BMY Division of Har" or something cut off like that on my printed out title document. She assured me it was listed correctly on the electronic version, however. I had a M127A2C semitrailer made by Stevens that said "Steve" on the title document.

As to why there would be a Stanley Steamer category...

Bhpdbrad

I have no experience on the "other side" of this, but I've always imagined that some of this comes from the inflexibility of whatever the computer system they're using. Perhaps Stewart & Stevenson isn't a choice in the drop down menu or whatever. My M925A2 was almost a "BMW" because the lady couldn't find "BMY" in the system. The SF97 had the correct "BMY Division of Harsco" on it, so she was able to type that in and I think it said "BMY Division of Har" or something cut off like that on my printed out title document. She assured me it was listed correctly on the electronic version, however. I had a M127A2C semitrailer made by Stevens that said "Steve" on the title document.

As to why there would be a Stanley Steamer category...
Too funny! This actually made me feel better about my DMV experience.... At least they got the Make correct.
Although, a BMW would be cool too. "BMW M Series" fits pretty well. Better then the Stanley Steamer... Unless you're cleaning carpets. Still laughing..

Bhpdbrad

Well... Good news!

The official CA title came today, and it reflects the correct Year/Model information. What a relief! No more worrying about having a "2012 BMY".

Now, the last step in this process is to apply for the 'Historic Vehicle' License Plates - which, to do, needed the title. Why it couldn't be initially registered this way - no one can say.

Hoping to to get some $ back too as it then wouldn't be registered as a Commercial Vehicle. I'll let you know...

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you get those weight fees back. They are not require for "HV" plates.
On a side note; is the CTA 8.3 engine CARB compliant? Not that it matters with "HV", I'm just curious.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks