• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Industrial centrifuge in upstate SC?

exbrown

I am considering the purchase of an industrial centrifuge to clean various used oils.

Anyone interested in discussing a joint venture or LLP?

Chief_919

Not much for an ownership stake that far away, but if you get it up and going I would be interested in renting time on it or doing an exchange- say dropping off 150 gallons of oil for 100 gallons of cleaned stuff.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
exbrown- If you do this, just be careful who you let work on it. I run AlfaLaval centrifuges on ships and they are wonderful machines. They also spin at 20,000 RPM or so, depending on type and application. The bowl assemblies can weight 300 lbs or so. If put together wrong or imbalanced, they explode like grenades! They are sensitive to and have to be set up for the viscosity of the liquid you are processing. Use the wrong gravity ring and you will not get a good oil/water seperation. They require regular cleaning of the discs to remove the seperated dirt and gunk. IMHO they are the best method to remove dirt and water from oil.....that being said they are not a hand's off system like a filter and can be dangerous if not set up and maintained correctly.

exbrown

exbrown- If you do this, just be careful who you let work on it. I run AlfaLaval centrifuges on ships and they are wonderful machines. They are sensitive to and have to be set up for the viscosity of the liquid you are processing. .....that being said they are not a hand's off system like a filter and can be dangerous if not set up and maintained correctly.
Thanks for the heads up!

I have worked with centrifuges at the nuclear plant I work at, so I am not going into this with no idea what I am getting into. I do have a lot to learn.

I do not plan on it being a hands off system. I will not set up the auto desludge cycle, but have someone monitor it and perform this manually. I also plan on separate centrifuges for different oils due to the viscosity.

For processing bulk amounts of oil, it is the only way to go.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jay- sounds like you have a good base of knowledge for this project. I have not used anything but AlfaLaval's for over 30 years now. the Mapx series are great machines. I have though about getting one of those cute little ones (is it a 102?) myself. I agree a CoOp type thing might be good, as long as the operators are all up to speed on operation and maintenance. I just wanted all involved to be aware of the serious nature of running these great seperators.

exbrown

I recently purchased an Alfa Laval centrifuge. I hope to get it up and running here soon. I will report back on how well it is working.

G-Force

You bought a tramp oil separator. If they are anything like the ones we sell (Westfalias) the coolant (heavy phase) is water based and is a pump discharge and the tramp oil (light phase) is gravity discharge because ther is not that much oil in the coolant. This could create problems for you becasue the light phase is what you'll be processing more than the heavy phase. Light phase is oil, heavy phase is water. And you should preheat to 85 to 95 C to get a good separation. They aren't hard to set up as far as the ring dam (gravity ring) is concerned......but the parts you will find are expensive....at least ours are...not sure about Alphas....they gave up theri service work to private aftermarket repair companies. Do you have any idea what you're getting into???? Just my 2cents from someone who made a carreer of working on these things for a manufacturer. If the manual you have has a cross section of the bowl please post it. I'll be better able to tell if its going to work for you or not.

exbrown

You bought a tramp oil separator. If they are anything like the ones we sell (Westfalias) the coolant (heavy phase) is water based and is a pump discharge and the tramp oil (light phase) is gravity discharge because ther is not that much oil in the coolant. This could create problems for you becasue the light phase is what you'll be processing more than the heavy phase. Light phase is oil, heavy phase is water. And you should preheat to 85 to 95 C to get a good separation. They aren't hard to set up as far as the ring dam (gravity ring) is concerned......but the parts you will find are expensive....at least ours are...not sure about Alphas....they gave up theri service work to private aftermarket repair companies. Do you have any idea what you're getting into???? Just my 2cents from someone who made a carreer of working on these things for a manufacturer. If the manual you have has a cross section of the bowl please post it. I'll be better able to tell if its going to work for you or not.
I knew it was a tramp oil seperator. I looked it up and it also says it also is used to clean tool oil and other light oils.

I would appreciate any advice you have to offer. I have a manual, so I will scan it and send you the cross section.

I am considering buying an OTB 2-00-066. What do you know about this centrifuge. I can get it for a really good price.

exbrown

i haven't heard how much you would charge to filter oil or cost of the unit?
I have to get it up and running first. Have not decided how much to charge. I realize it would have to be a reasonable cost to make it worth it to the user. May be interested in some barter for some oil also.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have lots of experience with centrifuges.

I have a business in Greenville that handles vast quantities of WVO. I would be willing to purchase the ones you have if you buy a different one, or buy the broken one to repair it, etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks