• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

INFO ON Deuce tractor

RE: It also fits this trailer

NEIOWA-
Thanks for the information on the truck in Lansing. Looks like a decent highway tractor. We have our 501(c)(3), but have been told that we need to be open 1,000 hours to qualify for federal surplus donations or develop a relationship with a municipality to get these items for us.

The other thing is that this will be my personal tractor/trailer combination. The Museum board didn't want to take on the expense of the recovery of the trailer and finding/buying/maintaining/fueling a tractor. Fed Surplus doesn't like stuff to go to private hands right away.

jasonjc

RE: It also fits this trailer

NEIOWA
The last FD I was on we had a L9000 with 9 speed RR and a 4000 gal tank petty good truck the staderd tans was nice in that it kept people that had no buines driving a load like that from doing so. sometimes if you make it seem to easy to drive they think it is like there little car. Truck +tank boady + 4000 gal wather + equipment = a hole lottea truck to control. 2cents

NEIOWA

Re: RE: It also fits this trailer

jasonjc said:
NEIOWA
The last FD I was on we had a L9000 with 9 speed RR and a 4000 gal tank petty good truck the staderd tans was nice in that it kept people that had no buines driving a load like that from doing so. sometimes if you make it seem to easy to drive they think it is like there little car. Truck +tank boady + 4000 gal wather + equipment = a hole lottea truck to control. 2cents
Yep been thru that The alternate theory a water truck sitting in the shed while the fire is burning is worse. Most fire depts have only a small fraction of the water tanker capacity they need/should have. On average should have at least tankage to move 1000gpm from their water source to any home/structure in the fire district. Do the math on a run of x miles. + several big tankers. And piddly little 1500-2000gal tankers found in many parts of the US don't get r done.

Pretty much 90% of the fire service has gone with theory #2. Get the Allison (if you can find a way/$$$) so the driver (occasional driver) has one less major thing to be concerned about when on a fire call. Then do your drivers training. The vol fire service in much of country is VERY short staffed and needs to utilize fully ever warm body they have. Driving a large truck is not rocketscience (or the jarheads would still be playing with pack mules).

How many of you duece/5t owners here have thought about working with your local FD? Most places is only a couple hours a month time for a very valuable public service. Can't do that, how about making yourself available to help with maintenance, vehicle conversion/modification work (most rural depts build their own tankers/support vehicles), or arranging for them to call you out to move water for the "big one". A "reserve" M35 pulling a FD trailer with water could be valuable asset.

NEIOWA

bigbee said:
NEIOWA-
Thanks for the information on the truck in Lansing. Looks like a decent highway tractor. We have our 501(c)(3), but have been told that we need to be open 1,000 hours to qualify for federal surplus donations or develop a relationship with a municipality to get these items for us.

The other thing is that this will be my personal tractor/trailer combination. The Museum board didn't want to take on the expense of the recovery of the trailer and finding/buying/maintaining/fueling a tractor. Fed Surplus doesn't like stuff to go to private hands right away.
Has to be in use for minimum 2yrs before can dispose of property.

Good bet this truck will show up in govliquidation. The marginally accurate lising info will likely scare off most reutilization "customers".

Opie

NEIOWA said:
jasonjc said:
NEIOWA

How many of you duece/5t owners here have thought about working with your local FD? Most places is only a couple hours a month time for a very valuable public service. Can't do that, how about making yourself available to help with maintenance, vehicle conversion/modification work (most rural depts build their own tankers/support vehicles), or arranging for them to call you out to move water for the "big one". A "reserve" M35 pulling a FD trailer with water could be valuable asset.
Amen, brother! We'd appreciate anyone's company VERY much. A little extra help on the huge calls helps keep from spreading resources too thin.

Opie
Rescue Captain, Hollins Vol. Fire & Rescue

26 years and still dragging hose and breathing smoke. gotta love it. allthough i have to add, moved up a little thru the yrs and most of the time (now) i dont have to work real hard. if anybody has ever given it any thought, most of the depts around here let you try it out a little to see if you want to really get into it or not. in Michigan we have 2 yrs to get a probee state certified. it is rewarding. in a twisted sort of way.

jasonjc

I did the vol thing for years FF 1 and EMT the backstabbing and he said she said crapp just got to be to much. I do miss it at times thought.

bigtruck

Kenny,

Looks like you are the go-to-guy for M275A2 questions... I'm relatively new to the green-iron world,,, so perhaps you can answer a couple of questions for me.... I'm strongly considering yanking the box off an old M109A3 van truck to use a deer blind (elevated with power run to it)... I already have a normal cargo deuce,, so i'd like to convert the M109A3 to a tractor... Here is my question---- Does the longer wheelbase of the M109A3 deuce negatively impact its towing capability...? Also,, is the drivetrain, brake system, or suspension in the M275A2 any different/superior? I believe the M275A2 actually has a "max towed load" of 36,000lbs on the data plate (please correct me if this is innacurate)... Do you see any reason why this rating should be significantly different for a converted M109A3...?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M48 looks identical to a standard deuce. The frame, suspension and brakes are all the same with the only additions being the tractor specific parts. If you do a search for M48's you'll find maccus did a very well done "M48A2" build a couple years ago and documented it well on SS. As far as the longer wheelbase negatively affecting towing capacity, I don't think it did at all but it's production was stopped I believe more for it not being as maneuverable as the shorter M275's.

That's what is on the Data Plate of the one I eventually bought (and, sadly, sold).

The M275 with the short wheelbase is a ball to drive. Nice, tight turns, tucks under the trailer nicely, and, I think, gives more control over the trailer especially when backing. With the longer frame, it takes more to get the trailer lined up and in the right spot.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks