• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Information wanted: General Dynamics XM-966 HMMWV prototype program

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just acquired one of the three remaining General Dynamics XM-966 HMMWV prototypes and I am trying to gather as much information as possible on these vehicles. If anyone has pictures, information, stories, or most anything else, please let me know.

I have started putting together a website at http://xm966hmmwv.com/ to share everything I learn. Serial #8 is the one I own. It is titled and is the only one I know of in private hands.

generaldynamicsprototype5.jpg

Thank you,
Martin

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

May 13th, 2015.

Verrrrry Interesting! Not only is it unusual, it has all the beauty of a HMMWV, with parts being 10X harder to find! You truly do like taking on the tough cases! Good Luck!:driver:

jeremymx26

Very interesting.
Solid rear axle and the ground clearance in front leaves a lot to be desired.

Congrats on your purchase. Keep us posted with your progress.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome and congrats on entering the HMMWV prototype club. I have AM General's #16. There was an article in Popular Mechanics 1984 I think it is that has info on all three.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you all. I still haven't decided if this was a good decision or not, but it should be a lot of fun. What makes this vehicle even more unique is that Ft. Lewis removed a lot of the interior including the roll cage to turn it into a parade vehicle. The museum that got it out of Ft. Lewis was told that it was used in parades by Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf when he was there. They still had a lot of the interior, but I need to fab the roll cage.

For documentation, I have the June 1982 Popular Science by Jim Dunne about the prototypes (So long, Jeep; hello, HMMWV) and the New Vanguard HMMWV 1980 - 2005 book, but neither have great information.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The three that I know of are:
Serial #1 - Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles in Nebraska
Serial #? - Ft. Lewis military museum
Serial #8 - Was in private hands in Washington. I now own this one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks