• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Information wanted: General Dynamics XM-966 HMMWV prototype program

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just acquired one of the three remaining General Dynamics XM-966 HMMWV prototypes and I am trying to gather as much information as possible on these vehicles. If anyone has pictures, information, stories, or most anything else, please let me know.

I have started putting together a website at http://xm966hmmwv.com/ to share everything I learn. Serial #8 is the one I own. It is titled and is the only one I know of in private hands.

generaldynamicsprototype5.jpg

Thank you,
Martin

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

May 13th, 2015.

Verrrrry Interesting! Not only is it unusual, it has all the beauty of a HMMWV, with parts being 10X harder to find! You truly do like taking on the tough cases! Good Luck!:driver:

jeremymx26

Very interesting.
Solid rear axle and the ground clearance in front leaves a lot to be desired.

Congrats on your purchase. Keep us posted with your progress.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome and congrats on entering the HMMWV prototype club. I have AM General's #16. There was an article in Popular Mechanics 1984 I think it is that has info on all three.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you all. I still haven't decided if this was a good decision or not, but it should be a lot of fun. What makes this vehicle even more unique is that Ft. Lewis removed a lot of the interior including the roll cage to turn it into a parade vehicle. The museum that got it out of Ft. Lewis was told that it was used in parades by Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf when he was there. They still had a lot of the interior, but I need to fab the roll cage.

For documentation, I have the June 1982 Popular Science by Jim Dunne about the prototypes (So long, Jeep; hello, HMMWV) and the New Vanguard HMMWV 1980 - 2005 book, but neither have great information.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The three that I know of are:
Serial #1 - Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles in Nebraska
Serial #? - Ft. Lewis military museum
Serial #8 - Was in private hands in Washington. I now own this one.