• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Initial shake down trip of a new-to-me XM818

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the truck at auction as a dead truck quite some time ago and towbarred it to KS. I just recently got the time to go through it and make it roadworthy.

Batteries, fluids, and above all brakes. No pedal at all. Right to the floor.

New batteries and a bit of wiring got it running.

Filled the master cylinder and bled the brakes. Bled the master cylinder dry and got to do it all over again.

The park brake looked like it had brand new linings except the inner lining was split and missing half. My conclusion is it rusted to the drum and then snapped off half the lining when it failed to release and the truck was moved. So, new lining for the park brake....

Went to run it around in the field and see if the park brake was dragging. Buried it to the axles and spent an evening getting it out. (Pics and details elsewhere)

Spent hours removing the mud and washing it.

Then the day of the trip was upon us. Step one was to release the snapping turtle I had picked up off the road in KS.

(Edit to add pics)

Screenshot_20190603-160400_Messages.jpg

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you get that camper painted green it will be a fine combination. How about some HMMWV wheels and 37s to bring it up just a bit (kidding).
Or a quick spring-over-axle flip....

So is this the new traveling home for the 98G family? Giving the Jeep a rest from towing?

[thumbzup]

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did you hook up the camper to the military 3.5 inch 5th wheel? I always thought you had to have a civy 5th wheel hitch.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And so it continues....

Yesterday I drove it from Hannibal MO to Washington KS.

Today I'm doing the last minute loading and hooking up to the M129A4 and departing for AZ, with a stop in Guymon OK to meet up with 155MM and a stop in Socorro NM to work on a buddy's M923.

It's hot.... can't wait to get to the desert where at least a wet towel is adequate cooling. Here in KS a wet towel is just a hot wet towel. 115* in Cave Creek isn't as bad as 90* here.

20190810_130023.jpg

20190809_153756.jpg

20190810_171255.jpg

Last edited:

aghumvee

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And so it continues....

Yesterday I drove it from Hannibal MO to Washington KS.

Today I'm doing the last minute loading and hooking up to the M129A4 and departing for AZ, with a stop in Guymon OK to meet up with 155MM and a stop in Socorro NM to work on a buddy's M923.

It's hot.... can't wait to get to the desert where at least a wet towel is adequate cooling. Here in KS a wet towel is just a hot wet towel. 115* in Cave Creek isn't as bad as 90* here.

View attachment 772987

View attachment 772988

View attachment 772989
I spotted you on I70 when you were almost to Salina. Looked Awesome!
Andrew

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Despite having gone through it thoroughly in June and paying special attention to the brakes, I lost the brakes entirely, entirely without warning. Pedal to the floor, no response.

No crash. No damage. No injuries. Downshifting got me slow enough that my newly installed park brake stopped it.

Bleeding the brakes restored pedal and apparently restored full functionality. I didn't get any noticeable amount of air out of any of the bleeders.

Obviously this is a bandaid fix on a symptom of a more subtle problem. I'm stopped in Socorro NM until it has been resolved to my satisfaction. I dont yet understand what happened and "anything that you dont understand is dangerous until you do".

My suspicion is the air pack. I'll be disassembling it for inspection and rebuilding/replacing as appropriate.

Lovetofix

Someone more experienced please correct me if I am wrong.
From what I understand of the M809 series brake system “no pedal” (pedal goes to the floor) will be air in the system somewhere, brake fluid escaping somewhere, or master cylinder problems. The air pack just provides “boost,” even with zero air pressure you still have “pedal” and brakes if you press the pedal hard enough with both feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone more experienced please correct me if I am wrong.
From what I understand of the M809 series brake system “no pedal” (pedal goes to the floor) will be air in the system somewhere, brake fluid escaping somewhere, or master cylinder problems. The air pack just provides “boost,” even with zero air pressure you still have “pedal” and brakes if you press the pedal hard enough with both feet.

I concur.

The air pack provides a place for fluid to escape, and a source from which air can enter. Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible)

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see this combo entering in to Liberal Ks on 54 hwy and I was wandering who it was guess I now know. Looked like you were getting along pretty well. 155MM is good guy and a nice m916

Lovetofix

Since I am driving an 809 series regularly on steep hills, I am curious what you found was the cause for your loss of brakes. I am in the process of replacing everything in the brake circuit, except the air pack. It has been functioning perfectly normally but maybe I need to rethink that decision. I do not know what the inside of one looks like, and didn’t think about seals failing in the air pack and making a place for fluid to escape.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks