• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injection pump won't move when turning crank.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to look up of the engine needs to be at TDC top dead center. If you’ve lost the alignment between the two you need to reestablish it via rebuild guide. Timing gears might be screwed or chain might be. Are CAMs rotating with spinning the crank?

I must admit that I don’t know what the IP
times from… crank. cams. chain.

Last edited:

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to look up of the engine needs to be at TDC top dead center. If you’ve lost the alignment between the two you need to reestablish it via rebuild guide. Timing gears might be screwed or chain might be. Are CAMs rotating with spinning the crank?
I have to pull fan and water pump and then once I get front cover off I'll see what happened. If the cam pin sheared I'll have to reset timing with marks on gears like you say. But first I have to pull plate off. Do I have to pull fan off to remove water pump or can I leave attached?

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t see how it’s not rotating, I thought all that was gear driven. RetiredwarHorse or the other knowledgeable members here will know what the issue could be. I watched Leroy do gears on one and that’s the limit of my expertise! Lol. My m1123 is so perfect and it gave me the confidence to buy a non runner lol I am preparing myself for these same issues and maybe worse.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t see how it’s not rotating, I thought all that was gear driven. RetiredwarHorse or the other knowledgeable members here will know what the issue could be. I watched Leroy do gears on one and that’s the limit of my expertise! Lol. My m1123 is so perfect and it gave me the confidence to buy a non runner lol I am preparing myself for these same issues and maybe worse.
Its not rotating because the key broke on the cam gear below. Its made to do that if the injection pump freezes up. I had to do some 6.5 Chevy truck searches to see that this happens when the IP is bad and froze like mine. The crank has a chain that runs the cam, and on the front of the cam is a gear drive that runs the IP pump above it. I've gotten the AC bracket off and now trying to figure if I can remove water pump with fan attached and still have room to pull front engine cover.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't remove fan without pulling radiator? There is zero room in here. Got fan blade bolts off and need 1/2 inch more to remove. 20220213_160803.jpeg

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whole radiator has to come out. At least with 71 miles every bolt spins right off.
I had this happen on a customer truck…it’s a lot of work, radiator stack comes out, water pump backing plate, possibly even the timing gear cover housing, in my case, the woodruff key sheared off the Crank, I would have been happy to have had been the cam shaft…but noooo.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had this happen on a customer truck…it’s a lot of work, radiator stack comes out, water pump backing plate, possibly even the timing gear cover housing, in my case, the woodruff key sheared off the Crank, I would have been happy to have had been the cam shaft…but noooo.
Seems like if the cam quit turning you would have valve damage?

Last edited:

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Injection pump has a separate gear drive in front of timing chain cog. It will shear the front of the key off if pump freezes. As soon as I get front of engine torn down, I'll post pics. This radiator is kicking my butt. Now I have to remove shroud with 8-11mm bolts under radiator.

This is a picture I pulled off web. It shows the ip gear drive in front of timing chain.

Attachments

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Water pump is off and just like I thought. Front key is sheared on ip drive. Lucky timing chain cog didn't shear otherwise valve damage.

Found a weird wax in water pump housing. Could this be wax from when engine was built?20220214_164016.jpeg20220214_164049.jpeg

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Water pump is off and just like I thought. Front key is sheared on ip drive. Lucky timing chain cog didn't shear otherwise valve damage.

Found a weird wax in water pump housing. Could this be wax from when engine was built?View attachment 858967View attachment 858968
Before proceeding any further I would run a compression check on this one before wasting any more time....... My two cents.....

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If only the cam to pump key sheared you should be fine, that wax does not look right, did it have coolant in the engine? looks like that would impede water flow, may be something normal for a HMMWV but have never seen anything like this in any other "new" engine, and certainly not in any engine that has been run.
Damn thing looks awesome inside though!!

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If only the cam to pump key sheared you should be fine, that wax does not look right, did it have coolant in the engine? looks like that would impede water flow, may be something normal for a HMMWV but have never seen anything like this in any other "new" engine, and certainly not in any engine that has been run.
Damn thing looks awesome inside though!!
Has 71 miles on it. Thank you! It has to be wax from when it was built.

Full of bright green antifreeze.

dmetalmiki

Humph!...THAT (problem) strange to tell is Exactly what happened on my OT 65 FUG G. A woodruff key sheared when the pump seized and broke components inside..A total I.P. write off.
Entirely due to the previous owner lacking the knowledge to FILL the injection pump with oil!.
I have a new pump..BUT OOOOOO the replacing of it, and the re timing..The engine is a about Face and the necessary timing marks are under the engine requiring the engine removal!
OR.....Mirrors..hanging up side down ..Scope...fiddle faddle..IT CAN be done.
I will do it...(With the help of tinygpw).
Oh, N' just guess who will be doing the 'hanging upsi downs!' :naner:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has 71 miles on it. Thank you! It has to be wax from when it was built.

Full of bright green antifreeze.
Not with 71 miles on it, no water can flow from the water pump with that wax in place, the pump sucks from the bottom of the radiator and then into the engine through those two orifices, no water will flow with that wax there, how hard is it??
EDIT, I would suspect water will come out when you punch that wax so try to keep it out of the crankcase!

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When a Injection pump gets water in system, and if not run for awile..Vains in Injection pump rusts.....so If you go to start truck, sometimes it shears the shaft Inside injection pump....and thats per injection pump builders.........I've had used take off pumps that would spin Real easy....because shaft inside pump was sheared, so only pump outer shaft turned.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks