• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injection pump won't move when turning crank.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is just two pieces top with water pump attached and bottom, which I have to pull harmonic balancer to remove.
I don't think you understand what I am talking about. I am not talking about the steel backing plate for the water pump as one of the pieces. I am only talking about what you can see in the pictures you posted, if you look at the one you posted from the web the timing cover looks much different than the pictures you posted of your engine, you cannot see the upper sprocket on your engine. just interested on how it comes off because it looks like part of that aluminum cover actually goes behind the lower gear covering up the upper sprocket.
OK maybe it is a separate piece that pops out after you remove the two bolts behind the upper gear and that has already been removed from the web picture...

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think you understand what I am talking about. I am not talking about the steel backing plate for the water pump as one of the pieces. I am only talking about what you can see in the pictures you posted, if you look at the one you posted from the web the timing cover looks much different than the pictures you posted of your engine, you cannot see the upper sprocket on your engine. just interested on how it comes off because it looks like part of that aluminum cover actually goes behind the lower gear covering up the upper sprocket.
I'll take pics tonight after removing.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And this is what happens to your cam sprocket when your injection pump freezes. It eats the key in front of cam sprocket.

I feel like I'm half way there. 20220215_163053.jpeg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Huh, looks like maybe the cam chain/sprocket will have to come off, looks like one key for both...
You will probably have to pull the cam sprocket and the crank sprocket at the same time as that cam sprocket has too far to go on that cam. unlike most other V8 engines with cam chains.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But heck you have the bull by the horns, no doubt you will end up with a "new" engine!!

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Huh, looks like maybe the cam chain/sprocket will have to come off, looks like one key for both...
You will probably have to pull the cam sprocket and the crank sprocket at the same time as that cam sprocket has too far to go on that cam. unlike most other V8 engines with cam chains.

I forgot my gear puller at my shop so it will have to wait for tomorrow. Also the key is getting delivered tomorrow along with timing chain gasket kit. I think I may be able to pull the crank sprocket and not have to remove just to get cam sprocket off. In the mean time, I'm cleaning out water pump and getting all gasket material off the front of the block.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will not be able to move ether sprocket very much without putting the chain in a bind, just be careful and don't "tweak" that new chain.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will not be able to move ether sprocket very much without putting the chain in a bind, just be careful and don't "tweak" that new chain.
Slowly pull both with two pullers. That's my plan and make sure crank and cam don't move!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start with the cam timing marks aligned, then rock it back and forth a little and make sure the came chain is not in a bind, sometimes the cam will try to move a little because the valve springs are pushing on the cam lobes.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ended up getting the key tonight and the gasket kit. Back together, but I need to pick up loc tite. I want to make sure this bolt doesn't come out.

I'm a little confused the gaskets I got for. 6.5 diesel do not seem to fit right. I think the oil pan has a one piece gasket that goes to the front.20220215_204905.jpeg20220215_204911.jpeg

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fel pro gasket. Goes way past the 45 degree angle on pan. It looks like the factory had thick rtv sealant and no gasket.20220215_205137.jpeg20220215_205323.jpeg

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You try to fish a magnet down into the pan from the front? Shavings went somewhere and you might be able to get a few. Maybe it’s a dumb idea

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the pan on my GEP turbo and all it had was sealer so that is what I went back with.
Actually IIRC the rear had a rubber seal that went over the rear main bearing, other than that is was just sealer, sorry

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because the rest of the pan is using sealer only if you do try and use the gasket it will place the cover too high to align correctly

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pass the peanuts.... Oh shit there goes my diverticulitis.

I couldn't even turn old pump with pipe wrench. It's toast. I think with it sitting in that valley with water soaking for 18 years it did a number on it. I can't believe they is no drain in there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks