• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector pump timing mep-003a

Chainbreaker

Yes, Guyfang is correct (I misread that he tried to use the stop solenoid manually to attempt a shutdown during the 2nd runaway run). Can only be that the injection pump has an internal issue allowing over fueling.

EnzoG

It has been a long time since I have been free to work on my 003a. I always hate when a thread is unfinished so I will continue to post my progress as I work in the generator.

I tested compression this morning and cylinders 1,2,3 were between 325-340 psi. Cylinder 4 on the other hand was down around 80 psi. I am going to begin removing the head so I can inspect the cylinder.

EnzoG

Got the head pulled off. Took some pictures along the way. There was a lot of oil in cylinder 4's exhaust port. Once the head was off you could see that #4 piston has a missing piece. The cylinder wall looks unharmed so I will start looking for a std bore piston for this thing.

Attachments

EnzoG

Got the oil pan pulled off and took the piston out. There are 2 spots in the cylinder with streak marks but the honing is still visible underneath and I can't catch a finger on it. Time to order some new parts.

Attachments

Ray70

I wouldn't be too concerned with those marks.
Give the cylinder a little hone and it will be fine, if you can't feel it.
Let me know if you need the piston or anything, I have a couple still on the rods.

EnzoG

I wouldn't be too concerned with those marks.
Give the cylinder a little hone and it will be fine, if you can't feel it.
Let me know if you need the piston or anything, I have a couple still on the rods.
I would definitely like to buy a piston off of you! Mine has 112-c-124 stamped on the top and is a standard bore. If you still rebuild and pop test injectors I would like to change my nozzles and want to make sure they are working correctly before restarting the engine. I am going to call Ambac and order an IP rebuild kit too.

I think that my skipping sound with occasional pickup in speed might have been cylinder #4 firing. I don't think that the runaway was just oil in cylinder #4 though because of the solid black smoke from both exhaust pipes.

Ray70

I'm looking at one now and I see std. on the piston, but don't see a PN. ( maybe I need to look closer )
It came out of an MEP-002A that I parted out recently. Very clean piston and rod. even the rod bearings look great, but can sell you whatever you want.
Shoot me a PM.

EnzoG

I have been working a lot so it is difficult to find time for the generator. So far I have replaced the piston with one that I got from Ray70 and I also had him pop test the injectors with new nozzles. I have the injector pump off and will be ordering a gasket kit from Ambac tomorrow as everything looks fine inside. I checked my compression tester for accuracy and it was reading 390 psi with 400psi on it. After charging the batteries and re-testing compression with higher cranking speeds it looks like all 4 cylinders are between 400-410 psi. 20210625_112615.jpg20210616_212048.jpg

EnzoG

I found that 3 of the glow plugs had swollen tips and the one for the cylinder with a damaged piston had a piece missing from the glow plug. These were the 24v Wellman plugs. I am a bit hesitant to spend $300 on a set of glow plugs that have already damaged my engine. I checked for champion ch42 glow plugs and the Dieselrx 11v glow plugs and can't find any in stock. Has anybody drilled and tapped their head for a 10mm helicoil and if so, which glow plug was used? If it hasn't been done I will probably have to stop and napa and do some glow plug comparing.

Ray70

If you decide to go that route, try checking on line or NAPA and see what you can find that is 24V and will seal with the same bevel and copper washer as the original.
Be careful with HMMWV glow plugs. There are tons of aftermarket ones floating around that claim to be 24V but are actually 12V and will burn up in about 15 seconds. I know from experience... ;-)
Otherwise if you're not in a rush the Champions occasionally become available, but more and more rarely lately.
An alternate solution would definitely be a big Plus to the air cooled community!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks